Urban Fantasy? [TSdX, PbP]

Have a game you want to run? Sending out feelers to see if there is any interest? Go ahead, ask and find players here.

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

Urban Fantasy? [TSdX, PbP]

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Haven't decided the specifics yet, but it is way beyond time to have another PbP over here :)

Ideas?

I'm thinking werewolves and vampires and other awesome stuff. I'm open to the plotline though. Supernatural private investigators? Monster wars? Give me what ya got.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

Favorite System: Unisystem
Security: NO

Re: Urban Fantasy? [TSdX, PbP]

PostPosted by Solar_Dawn » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:24 pm

True blood? It has werewolves and shifters and vampires and faeries and stuff, but it's still pretty dark.
Solar_Dawn
A more badass title!

Favorite System: Star Wars

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:36 pm

Yessss....True Blood meets Supernatural meets the less-teen-angsty parts of Buffy. Can we throw in space ships? Maybe not spaceships.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by Kikaze » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:42 pm

I also like true blood as a series A LOT, but i dont know if others have seen it/comfortable running a game.

other ideas:

underworld (for more action-oriented)

anita blake (for more police style)

generic/original as opposed to a specific setting:

-"brand new world": the existence of supernaturals is public. in order to avoid mass hysteria, a meeting of supernatural species' ambassadors created some sort of supernatural FBI that polices monsters. some supernatural powers are used commonly , replacing or supplementing technology . much like anita blake universe, but no use of the specifics.

-"it's not the monsters under your bed, it's the man next door": the existence of supernaturals is hidden, but there is no tight control/secret conspiracy. the group are working for some kind of mob boss (or police force) and use their powers for their own advantage. the characters may or may not be monsters, their enemies are sometimes monsters, sometimes not, and the cases/crimes/whatever are sometimes monstrous, sometimes all too human.
Kikaze
1st Level Peasant
1st Level Peasant

Favorite System: d10

PostPosted by Solar_Dawn » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:44 pm

A charmed campaign could be fun as well
Solar_Dawn
A more badass title!

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:47 pm

I like the idea of not everyone knowing about supernatural stuff, but a handful of people do. So it's not 100% secret, like the government for sure knows, some local law enforcement agencies know, but some don't (depends on what the individual officers have seen or refused to believe they saw...). Kind of like True Blood minus the vamps being really public, or Supernatural (hunters know, everyone else thinks hunters are crazy).

"We know it's out there, we just don't talk about it."
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by Solar_Dawn » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:49 pm

The truth is out there!
Solar_Dawn
A more badass title!

PostPosted by Kikaze » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:57 pm

i think we should mostly think of the premise of the player group; it'll be fun to discover the setting bit by bit. personaly i'm open to anything.
Kikaze
1st Level Peasant
1st Level Peasant

Favorite System: d10

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Holy crap... there are real people still here!?!?! How did you guys survive the exodus and dark ages of spammers?
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:52 pm

Alright, here are some ideas:

Private Investigators and Bail-bondsmen: We specialize in the supernatural! (Or maybe we ARE supernatural) Players are employees of a small-town operation. Your boss is a hardened veteran who has seen it all and is surprised by nothing. Lots of tracking things through backcountry terrain for the experience points and a small wage. Local law enforcement may occasionally assist, but the public thinks you're just a misfit band of crazies.

Vampire Frat House. You're initiates in the local vamp nest. This would take place in a medium to large city, preferably a college town for easy cover. Antics ensue.

Alright, that's just two ideas so far, but let me know what you think.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:53 pm

verdilak wrote:Holy crap... there are real people still here!?!?! How did you guys survive the exodus and dark ages of spammers?

Facebook.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by Solar_Dawn » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:08 am

I'm good with either of those ideas really.

The only other idea I had was one where it's a group of supernaturals taking out criminals and horrific people 'dexter' style.
Solar_Dawn
A more badass title!

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Bad guys hunting worse guys...that can be fun!

So we have some ideas. No reason we can't do some combination of different ideas together too. It really depends on the kind of characters built. If you guys can throw together something, and we maybe drag in another player or two, i could probably have a board and game post up by Tuesday (my next day off).

I'll have to locate my Tri-Stat book (heh!) but post-human is around 70 pts i think? That might be a good place to start. You can build just about anything with that. No need to start completely mundane unless you want to or think it would make a more interesting background. I'm also fine with awkward transitions from human to Other if that is your little black heart's desire.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:36 pm

hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by Solar_Dawn » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:54 pm

I still have mine, haha, win!
Solar_Dawn
A more badass title!

PostPosted by Lunarmagus » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:55 pm

Hmmm. This sounds interesting, and it has been years since I played in a PbP. I would be interested if you would have me.
Lunarmagus
h4x0r
h4x0r

Favorite System: Palladium or White Wolf

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:05 pm

The more the merrier! 6-10 would be optimal, but i will run for as few as 2, and as many as 15 :s_drinks
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by Lunarmagus » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:34 pm

So, my questions rises to thus:
1: Are we doing to Vampire frat-house? or the Investigators/Bail bondsmen? Or the Supernatural Dexter?
2: How many points are we using (Specifically)?
3: What are the limitations?
4: Could B.E.S.M. be used as well as, or in place of Tri-Stat for building a character?
Lunarmagus
h4x0r
h4x0r

Favorite System: Palladium or White Wolf

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:29 pm

Lunarmagus wrote:1: Are we doing to Vampire frat-house? or the Investigators/Bail bondsmen? Or the Supernatural Dexter?

All of the above!

Anyone creating a vampire character will be living in the frat house. They will be newbs, but will have acquaintance with the NPCs. Anyone not playing a vampire will not live there, unless they want to and work something out over the course of the game.

The head of the vampire household will have partnerships with different businesses, organizations, and agencies of the community, and will be sending his followers out into the world on various missions, gigs, and good-will excursions. Other characters will sometimes be working in similar partnerships, but opportunities for things like vigilantism will exist. You are not slaves to your master, just employees. As long as you don't eff anything up for him.

2: How many points are we using (Specifically)?

75 points. This is the line between Human and Post-Human. You will get XP for each completed mission or adventure. Tri-Stat is very generous with the points-to-powers level-ups so if this goes on for any length of time, you may become very powerful in a relatively short amount of time.

30 skill points (this is the post-human amount). Max skill level (starting out) is 4. Use the Modern Day Urban Fantasy chart for skill costs.

3: What are the limitations?

Try to stay within the genre, but if you can build it, i'm almost always going to say "yes" to it. You can be as broken as you wish. Go crazy on the defects if you want to. Just know that most if not all of them will come into play, sooner rather than later. It is an "anything goes" type of game, afterall. That goes for the GM as well! As always, do your best to make something that will work with the group. If you want to do something off-genre, explain it (if you want a superhero with flight and healing, make it a lost angel instead. If you want to play an alien, call it a demon. etc.)

4: Could B.E.S.M. be used as well as, or in place of Tri-Stat for building a character?

I don't have the BESM book, so i'll need you to use Core terms on your character sheet. Pretty sure the Core gives enough flexibility to build anything in the other books, so you're welcome to use any for concepts.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:52 pm

It's official: game board is up.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet