Capcom will let you complete your purchased game. Once. Ever

For General Console News and Information

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

Capcom will let you complete your purchased game. Once. Ever

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:57 am

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/06/capcom-tries-to.php wrote:Buying used video games is great for gamers who don't want to pay full price for the latest hits. You know who doesn't like used video games? Game publishers. In a very sad twist, Capcom's fighting back against the second-hand game market with a game that can only support one save file — for life.

It's been confirmed that Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D for the Nintendo 3DS is a game that once finished, cannot be reset for complete replay. According to both the U.S. and U.K. game's instruction manual "saved data on this software cannot be reset."

Basically what Capcom has done is make Mercenaries 3D a one-time play affair. Once you've unlocked all the goodies and played the entire game, you will not be able to erase the game's save data and start fresh as if it were a new copy. Consider this: lending Mercenaries 3D to a friend, a little brother or sister will be worthless because they'll only be able to continue playing the game with your saved settings and create their own.

We get that game publishers don't make any money off sales from used video games, but killing off the ability to hit the reset button is just taking things too far. It's like saying Upperdeck is entitled to a cut in my autographed Michael Jordan basketball card I sold at a garage sale for $10,000 some 25 years after I bought it.

While it can be argued that used video game sales are actually more damaging than piracy, it's still a lowball move for Capcom to make, especially with a franchise as large and significant as the Resident Evil series. Will other publishers follow in Capcom's footsteps to take a stand against the lucrative market of used video games? We really hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Capcom will let you complete your purchased game. Once.

PostPosted by NulSyn » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:44 am

This was a huge misconception, and rumor pushing from some really bad game sites. What it actually is, is a sort of arcade style game with a leaderboard and the high scorer for that game cannot be erased. So if you buy it used and someone has played it, their high score will stay unless you can beat it.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

Re: Capcom will let you complete your purchased game. Once.

PostPosted by Arabia85 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:42 am

We've contacted Capcom to find out if it still has plans to support the game in the future
Arabia85
1st Level Peasant
1st Level Peasant

Favorite System: dsds
Security: NO

Return to General