Fantasy Races

Talk about Tabletop Games to your heart's content. Anything and everything, as long as it's about Tabletop RPG's.

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

Fantasy Races

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:21 am

What races, creatures, monsters, ect. MUST there be in a fantasy setting to peak your interest? Also, what type, as in, if you MUST have Elves, do you want them to be Tolkein-esque elves (no matter what they are called) or do you want non-Tolkein elves like from Glorantha.

For myself, I MUST have humans, even if I never play one. Also, I need other races in that I am not all that fond of fantasy settings where there are only humans... unless the humans are differeing in some fashion from region to region.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Fantasy Races

PostPosted by NulSyn » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:44 pm

I can't say I must have anything. I've played in games that have only humans, ones that are very D&D and tolkien like, and ones very alien...I enjoyed them all to some extent.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:59 pm

What are you favorite races Nul? Like, no matter what the setting, you would play that race if given half a chance?
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.

PostPosted by NulSyn » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:35 am

Hmm that's a toughy. Off the top of my head I would say...

The Nothrog from Warlords of the Accordlands which are a race created from eugenics with the goblinoid tribes such as orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears. Their attitudes and culture end up a very "klingon" like race in fantasy.

Trolls from Earthdawn (Shadowrun) were always a fave of mine.

The Deva from D&D 4E are really cool with the whole idea of reincarnating fallen angels who remember snippets of their past lives. Come to think of it I REALLY like the overall selection and feel of all the races in D&D 4E now; though, at first I wasn't sure I was gonna like the idea of certain races being common like Tiefling and Dragonborn. Now it just feels really fresh to me with options liek them and Goliaths, Shardminds, Shades, etc... Very flavorful options now.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Throol » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:03 pm

For me, it's non-humans. Anything but plane jane human beings. I want something different from the real world.
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: Earthdawn

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:31 pm

I need to have humans, just to see what the setting does with them. Beyond that, anything goes really. But i could do without having more than one type of elf; that just seems silly. Dwarves are my favorite, and they tend to be universal in any setting, so they're a safe fallback race in my experience. I would like to see a dragon race that was a) actually playable rather than ridiculously overpowered and b) not silly or otherwise lame. If those things aren't possible, i would rather not see them at all, going as far as to make them maybe something that comes up very very rarely or is a myth even in the fantasy world. Same with faeries. I want them rare or not at all. Hell, vampires too. Basically anything that's overdone everywhere else, i want to have very little or no presence at all. Except maybe werewolves. As long as they're a playable race and not 'omg 3 days out of the year you're a bloodthirsty monster and the rest of the group is forced to kill you as soon as they find out.' Meh. Bloodthirsty is good, it provides an interesting dynamic, but let's skip the mindless part.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

Favorite System: Unisystem

PostPosted by mjrbatou » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:50 am

i like...being able to mix and match different things with characters either with actual half-bloods or through some sorta bloodline/curse/blessing, but mainly keeping the baseline humanoid.
mjrbatou
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: 3.5 without munchkins

Return to General Tabletop Gaming