Kittens: “either smothered in onions or in a ragout ..."

We game, we like food as well! Recipes, Bentos, Pictures, talking about wine, you name it!

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

Kittens: “either smothered in onions or in a ragout ..."

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:46 pm

http://www.futilitycloset.com/2011/03/23/an-open-mind/ wrote:During the German siege of Paris in 1870, residents had to eat whatever animals were at hand. Daily News correspondent Henry Labouchère recorded his opinions:

Horse: “eaten in the place of beef … a little sweeter … but in other respects much like it”
Cat: “something between rabbit and squirrel, with a flavor all its own”
Donkey: “delicious — in color like mutton, firm and savory”
Kittens: “either smothered in onions or in a ragout they are excellent”
Rat: “excellent — something between frog and rabbit”
Spaniel: “something like lamb, but I felt like a cannibal”

“This siege will destroy many illusions,” he wrote, “and amongst them the prejudice which has prevented many animals being used as food. I can most solemnly assert that I never wish to taste a better dinner than a joint of a donkey or a ragout of cat — experto crede.”

I think I would try most any type of meat, including the ones listed above.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Kittens: “either smothered in onions or in a ragout ..."

PostPosted by Chick » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Meet the Mutton Bird Verd. I am sure you could arrange delivery in vacuum packaging overseas. Looks innocent enough you thnk to yourself? This flavour and fat content and smell(if I could digitally send you the cooking fat smell I would!) is an aquired taste to say the least. And yes I've eaten it cooked it all sorts of ways, my only advice, cook it outside and not on your fancy enclosed BBQ. It will never smell the same again, your burger weekends will have the subtle flavour of fish fat. I refer you to the experts;

http://www.muttonbird.net.au/index.htm
Chick
Darth Annoyus
Darth Annoyus

Favorite System: D&Dv3.5 & Star Wars Saga

Re: Kittens: “either smothered in onions or in a ragout ..."

PostPosted by Zamion » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

Favorite System: ahhhh shadowrun
Security: NO