Is anyone even interested in playing games?

Have a game you want to run? Sending out feelers to see if there is any interest? Go ahead, ask and find players here.

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

Is anyone even interested in playing games?

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:18 pm

I have to ask: Is it just that people dont want to play games online anymore (due to any number reasons like you have a real life group now or your work hours have changed or you would rather game at your FLGS) or is it that the current ideas for games to be played just suck balls?
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Is anyone even interested in playing games?

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Seems pretty obvious that no one's interested in gaming online (at least here) at all. Otherwise someone would be starting a game besides the same 2-3 people.

I'm pretty much finished trying. The people we've been recruiting from other boards are all flakes, and the ones here can't even be bothered to say "no thanks."
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

Favorite System: Unisystem

PostPosted by Rayven » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:47 pm

I've never played online. I don't have reliable enough internet when not at work, and can't dedicate time while at work to gaming online. Sorry guys. :(
STARE INTO MY EYES FOREVER
LET ME TAKE YOU IN MY ARMS
DANCE WITH ME OUT IN THE GARDEN
WHERE TOMORROW NEVER COMES
FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARKNESS
WHERE THE NIGHTMARES NEVER FADE
WHISPER DREAMS MY FALLEN ANGEL
FROM WHICH YOU WILL NEVER WAKE
Religion starts wars. Spirituality ends them

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

Location: Cubicle greyness...I'm surrounded by false intelligence!
Favorite System: Any

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Well i don't expect every single person to be willing and able, of course :P But two or three would be awesome.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by EverThere » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:50 pm

I'm more than interested to play, I'm just fully aware how much flakey players can shoot down a game.

I've got a few tentative times that I could make every week, but with my luck I know I'd be missing half the damned sessions and being more of a burden than anything else.

Bottom line, I'd absolutely be honored to join one of your games. But until my life stops being so hectic (like probably in the fall), I really shouldn't be bogging down any PbC games.
"You are the one that never changes....you'll wear out a thousand boots on your march to hell."

The anger
EverThere
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: Rifts/Palladium

PostPosted by Throol » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm most definitely interested. I'm not a wild west fan (quite the opposite), so wasn't really up for Gunslingers, but I'm up for games. It's just been so quiet on the board and when I connect, on the chat, that I only check here every so often now.
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: Earthdawn

PostPosted by Starmage21 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:19 am

I am absolutely interested in playing games! I play in 3 reliable games a week and I'm always looking for more. The only reason I haven't played any here lately is because you've all been stuck on tristat worse than an apple fanboy. I fucking hate that system! Its like trying to write a story in your own blood (it'll work but it sucks every step of the way).
Starmage21
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Palladium

PostPosted by Pyriel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:07 am

1. i dont think i can play any games at this point, at least not PbC. no time, though i'd definitely be interested if i could.

2. on starmage's observation, i wish to explain to him some things:
ALL systems have major problems. the only question is, weather they fit the game a GM wants to run. Tri-stat's characteristic is that, while it *does* have 'builds' like other systems, it has a huge difference: its more 'friendly'. The thing is, Tri-stat requires little to no 'homework' on the part of the GM/players. whereas, to play in a WoD and/or D & D system, players need to memorise certain stuff. In tristat, builds are simple: want to get mind control resistance? it is just ONE attribute. in other games, the player needs to RESEARCH (like doing homework) several different abilities to be able to resist mind control. balance-wise its the same (dont get mental resistance and mind controllers will absolutely rape you) but Tristat is just 'easier' for a more relaxed game when ppl just "dont want to research rules, god damnit!".

Tristat also has another benefit: it requires little homework for combat too. i have ran several very fast combats in Buffy's Unisystem and D20 in my playgroup- the difference is, ppl here repeatedly read the books and when quoting rules, they sometimes even reference the page and paragraph. there's no 'wait to see what it does' or 'wait for me to search maneuver' as ppl consider it natural to know this stuff by heart and they dont mind it.

but, Star, you cannot ask that from everyone. its unfair.
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Classic, but Cinematic is cool.

PostPosted by Starmage21 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:24 am

Pyriel wrote:1. i dont think i can play any games at this point, at least not PbC. no time, though i'd definitely be interested if i could.

2. on starmage's observation, i wish to explain to him some things:
ALL systems have major problems. the only question is, weather they fit the game a GM wants to run. Tri-stat's characteristic is that, while it *does* have 'builds' like other systems, it has a huge difference: its more 'friendly'. The thing is, Tri-stat requires little to no 'homework' on the part of the GM/players. whereas, to play in a WoD and/or D & D system, players need to memorise certain stuff. In tristat, builds are simple: want to get mind control resistance? it is just ONE attribute. in other games, the player needs to RESEARCH (like doing homework) several different abilities to be able to resist mind control. balance-wise its the same (dont get mental resistance and mind controllers will absolutely rape you) but Tristat is just 'easier' for a more relaxed game when ppl just "dont want to research rules, god damnit!".

Tristat also has another benefit: it requires little homework for combat too. i have ran several very fast combats in Buffy's Unisystem and D20 in my playgroup- the difference is, ppl here repeatedly read the books and when quoting rules, they sometimes even reference the page and paragraph. there's no 'wait to see what it does' or 'wait for me to search maneuver' as ppl consider it natural to know this stuff by heart and they dont mind it.

but, Star, you cannot ask that from everyone. its unfair.

I'm not asking anyone to do anything, just explaining why I havent played many games here in the last 6-8 months or whatever. That reason, to reiterate for you because you seem to have missed it is that "it is not my preference to play tri-stat."
Starmage21
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:26 am

Star, we only use tri-stat because it is faster for noobs to make characters and its faster for noobs do combat... even large combats between large amounts of characters and villains.

If you have a faster system than tri-stat for character creation and combat, I'm more than willing to try it out with you (but be warned, I have written down the time lengths of the combats I've ran and those I've been a character in with tri-stat, so I will time the combats of any other system that you propose). I want to have a combat between 6 PC's and around 20 villains to be completed in under an hour. Combats that last more than an hour? So fucking not fun for me. I lose interest, and when I lose interest I quit the game.

Also, the GM typically chooses the system that he/she will use to run their game in. If you dislike tri-stat (and I am curious as to why you dislike it), then the simple solution and fix is to offer to run a game using the system of YOUR choice. Maybe if you got people interested in another system, people would learn it and decide to use it in their games that they run.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Starmage21 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:38 am

verdilak wrote:Star, we only use tri-stat because it is faster for noobs to make characters and its faster for noobs do combat... even large combats between large amounts of characters and villains.

If you have a faster system than tri-stat for character creation and combat, I'm more than willing to try it out with you (but be warned, I have written down the time lengths of the combats I've ran and those I've been a character in with tri-stat, so I will time the combats of any other system that you propose). I want to have a combat between 6 PC's and around 20 villains to be completed in under an hour. Combats that last more than an hour? So fucking not fun for me. I lose interest, and when I lose interest I quit the game.

Also, the GM typically chooses the system that he/she will use to run their game in. If you dislike tri-stat (and I am curious as to why you dislike it), then the simple solution and fix is to offer to run a game using the system of YOUR choice. Maybe if you got people interested in another system, people would learn it and decide to use it in their games that they run.

This is what I'm talking about, exactly why I compared this bunch to apple fanboys. I'm being attacked merely for disliking a system. That said, I HAVE tried to drum up interest in a game or two on these forums in the same period, and they've gone with zero interest from this crowd.
Starmage21
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:10 am

Hey, I'll be the first to say that I would rather use Savage Worlds or Wushu or FATE or other systems if I was playing with people in person. But online? I just need something fast. Tri-stat just works. Thats my only interest in the system: Fast and Free.

You did offer to run an Exalted game back in Jan, but it was only for a 1 shot lasting no more than a month. Now, I am not fond of WW's oWoD/Scion system... simply due to the length and time it takes to get through combat and whatnot. Regardless, you posted you were only going to run it for a month or two at best. Its hard to get people to either learn a system for a month or two only of play or to get someone, like me, who dislikes the speed of the system to consider changing his mind and trying out the system again for only a month or two of play.

I'm sorry if my posts seem to be attacking, its really not my intention. I'm also sorry for seemingly being an apple fanboy for tri-stat. I am ALWAYS on the lookout for new and old systems that might run faster, quicker, simpler, or funner than Tri-Stat. I dl every game from 1kt1km and other free games repositories including the site that does the 24 hour rpgs.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:18 am

Um...the only 'attacking' posts i see here are the ones in which people are being accused of being fanboys and running games that suck. How much Tri-Stat have you actually played, Starmage? Maybe you haven't played in the right games to know for sure. You tell me all the time that WoD is awesome with the right people. Well, i've played in several WoD games, including a couple of yours, and i still don't like it. But i still haven't given up on it, and have played several more since.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by VolV » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Umm... Well, I once tried to run a game, but it failed, and then I stopped trying, because I thought it was the wrong place to ask, then I simply didn't like the games/there wasn't space for me and I guess I kinda lose interest in some games and I kinda feel like everyone is very good at roleplaying and writing while I am not, I guess I am kinda jelly. also the fact that everyone here seems to be seasoned Veterans at roleplaying games here.
VolV
2nd level Commoner
2nd level Commoner

Favorite System: WoD

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Pfft, i've only been playing since '07. Not exactly veteran here. And there's always room for more games; just gotta ask for a board if you want it hosted here; if not, you're welcome to post links and recruit for other places at any time.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by VolV » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Beats my '09( I belive it was 09.. Gotta check when I started to like cthulhu.)
VolV
2nd level Commoner
2nd level Commoner

Favorite System: WoD

PostPosted by Starmage21 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

I've been doing it for 15 years now, since I was 12. I started with good old Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd Edition (white books). The first books I actually owned were the revised "black books" for AD&D 2nd.
Starmage21
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by Rayven » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:39 pm

I started gaming 19 years ago. I still don't call myself a veteran. Experienced, sure. Vet, no chance. I've stated my reasons for not doing PbC. I would have, at one time, considered a PbE game, but I haven't seen one of those in....uhh....6 years at least.

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:09 pm

You could do play by post, you big slacker.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by Rayven » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:06 am

I'm not big, I'm fat boned.

Wait a minute. I got that backwards, didn't I?

Anyhow, never done PbP, so yes, it's possible. I just wouldn't know where to start. I kinda get carried away on tangents. It's all that fucking Energizer Bunny's fault, with his beady little eyes hidden behind those Ray Charles sunglasses. Bastard's up to something, I just know it. Probably hiding me Lucky Charms somewhere the other side of The Rabbit Hole, cutting a profit from Neo. Wait...where was I? Oh yeah! New Orleans..........

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:25 pm

Tangents are good, they fill dead board space :D You should join my pirate game. Just sayin.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by Rayven » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:47 pm

I wouldn't know the first thing about playing a pirate. ;)

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:59 pm

No one's playing a pirate.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by Rayven » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:27 pm

....a pirate game without pirates??? That's like being the CEO of Palladium Books without cocaine enemas.

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by Chick » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:05 am

I still visit the boards occasionally these days. I am quite surprised a topic actually got to 24 posts before I came across it. Things have been quiet here. And as has been noted above with a few regular players in every game or virtually none. It's a very clan like board. Started that way from the exodus from The Nexus Point. Starmage did you enjoy the whipping you got for answering the question asked? I don't often read every post in a topic. I did today. The answer's there and I didn't even have to whisper it
Chick
Darth Annoyus
Darth Annoyus

Favorite System: D&Dv3.5 & Star Wars Saga

Return to Game Recruiting