Relativity on a Human Scale: "Optical Clocks and Relativity"

Animals, Storms, People... you name it!

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

Relativity on a Human Scale: "Optical Clocks and Relativity"

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:20 pm

http://scienceblogs.com/principles/2010/11/relativity_on_a_human_scale_op.php wrote:Can you explain the smallness of this shift in some way that involves lots of zeroes? Sure. The stationary clock ticks 1,120,000,000,000,000 times every second. If you added up all the ticks for 100 seconds, the total for the elevated clock would be greater than that for the stationary clock by right around 5 ticks.

Yeah, that's pretty amazing, all right. Yes it is. And it's in good agreement with what you would expect from general relativity.

So, what's the take-home message from all this? Basically, that Einstein was right. The predictions that relativity makes about the slowing of clocks due to motion or gravitation, as weird as they may seem, are really true, and verified even at everyday speeds and elevations. We don't notice these changes because they're so tiny, but with good enough measuring apparatus, we can pick them up, and they agree nicely with the predictions of relativity.

So crazy people trying to argue that relativity is wrong have their work cut out for them? Even more than they did before. Not that this will stop them, being crazy people, but for the non-crazy among us, this is a beautiful confirmation of the theory.

There is more at the link, but this is very awesome.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Return to Nature!