Reconsider Columbus Day

History, you know what that is!

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

Reconsider Columbus Day

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:21 am

Columbus was a slaving, murdering, exploitative asshole, whose actions set the stage for the destruction of indigenous Carib culture, leaving millions dead and enslaved in its wake. Confused? Read James Loewen's Lies My Teacher Told Me or Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Reconsider Columbus Day

PostPosted by Starmage21 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:03 pm

verdilak wrote:

Columbus was a slaving, murdering, exploitative asshole, whose actions set the stage for the destruction of indigenous Carib culture, leaving millions dead and enslaved in its wake. Confused? Read James Loewen's Lies My Teacher Told Me or Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States.

Seriously? This shit just makes me want turn my normal barely acknowledgement of the holiday into a full blown celebration. Fact of the matter is, he still made a recorded journey to the north american continent that was a feat of ability at the time. This in turn paved the way for the foundation of the colonies which paved the way for the american nation.

The things that Columbus did were accepted practices in his time. Repeat after me: "I will not hold 4-500 year old practices accountable according to modern morality."

You want us to reconsider columbus day? I want restitution from all peoples of mayan and aztec descent for war crimes committed against my spanish ancestors. In addition, restitution for war crimes committed by north american indians against "the white man" during various wars. The chances of either happening? Next to nil. STFU and go cry yourself to sleep.
Starmage21
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Palladium

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Really? Columbus didn't "find" America, it was found many times before him. And yeah, I don't really want to celebrate a day that is built solely on such atrocities. Because, no, they were NOT accepted in his time. He got into HUGE fucking trouble for what he did, even though what he did was halfway across the world and done to natives. He also KNEW how bad of a thing it was that he was doing.

I'm sorry, but should we also celebrate a day for Hitler? I mean, sure, he did some horrible things, but by your reasoning, without the world war that came about due to his atrocities, we wouldn't be where we are at today arguably.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Rayven » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Uhhh...Dale...Starmage never said that Columbus "found" America. He said that he sailed here. Also, slavery WAS accepted then, as was indentured servitude. And comparing Columbus to Hitler is just inappropriate. Columbus set the framework for there to even BE an America, even if he didn't "find" it. Without Columbus, there would be no you, or me, or anyone else on these boards. Without Hitler, there would just be a lot less dead people.
STARE INTO MY EYES FOREVER
LET ME TAKE YOU IN MY ARMS
DANCE WITH ME OUT IN THE GARDEN
WHERE TOMORROW NEVER COMES
FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARKNESS
WHERE THE NIGHTMARES NEVER FADE
WHISPER DREAMS MY FALLEN ANGEL
FROM WHICH YOU WILL NEVER WAKE
Religion starts wars. Spirituality ends them

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

Location: Cubicle greyness...I'm surrounded by false intelligence!
Favorite System: Any

PostPosted by Chick » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:17 pm

I'd still be here on Convict Island, there'd just be an abyss where this topic..and boards.. and perhaps even RPGs in effect... So I hold Columbus responsible for bringing me a hobby on that logic. Thankyou Columbus, many wrongs led you to your goals and many wrongs have followed from what you started. You weere a naughty boy, but you brought us Gary Gygax
Chick
Darth Annoyus
Darth Annoyus

Favorite System: D&Dv3.5 & Star Wars Saga

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:32 am

Rayven wrote:Uhhh...Dale...Starmage never said that Columbus "found" America. He said that he sailed here. Also, slavery WAS accepted then, as was indentured servitude. And comparing Columbus to Hitler is just inappropriate. Columbus set the framework for there to even BE an America, even if he didn't "find" it. Without Columbus, there would be no you, or me, or anyone else on these boards. Without Hitler, there would just be a lot less dead people.

I was riffing of of the "paved the way" to america of today. Everything that happened in the past paves the way to what the world is like today, for good or bad. That was the point I was trying to make.

Yeah, slavery was accepted (hell, african slaves were worth more than european slaves, seems white slaves had less of a work ethic), but the other things Columbus did, like feed babies to dogs, wasn't.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Return to History!