Gritty Supers Game

Have a game you want to run? Sending out feelers to see if there is any interest? Go ahead, ask and find players here.

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

Gritty Supers Game

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:56 pm

To be honest... I think the Teen Supers game has run its course. So, I've been thinking of a gritty supers-type of game, one in which the world is exactly like ours. Characters would be done with Tri-Stat dX with 30 character points and 30 skill points available to them. No supered anything to start off with. Everyone makes a normal person and will gain the powers (the other 70 character points) during game play.

I don't really want to give anything away, but it is a setting that a few people, at least, are familiar with.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Gritty Supers Game

PostPosted by Throol » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:08 pm

Just how gritty are you talking? Midwest suburbia gritty, or New York City ghetto gritty?
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: Earthdawn

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:29 pm

Starting out in Tokyo, modern world. Starting characters will be 100% normal people. Art students, teachers, restaurant workers, lolita-dress wearing servers, accountants, surfer guys, you name it. Hence why only 30 points for the starting character which would allow 4's in all stats and a few points in Highly Skilled and a few gadgets. You wouldnt have to be japanese, you could be there on vacation or a work-visa or whichever. In other words, it will start out as a happy, crappy, normal setting in modern times, but it will go gritty (gritty in that there is no double tap rule).
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:52 pm

Oh, I would also want your backstory to mention your character's:

Fears
Interests
Hopes/Dreams
Personality
Any obsessions
... ect. Normal people stuff.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Throol » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:51 am

Should we have some kind of reason for being with the other PC's (i.e., should we post so others can make characters that fit in)?
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:08 am

No one would have to know one another, since I can have everyone be the Sanja Matsuri which would explain why just about any character concept would be found in a certain place with others, i.e. the group. However, if everyone wants to know one another, thats fine as well. Either as close friends or as even as "I know Miss Hidori just from the morning walks to work. We work in different parts of town but we take the same bus to the train station. We've chatted a few times, but about nothing more than simple day-to-day activities." sort of thing.

If two or more characters wish to know one another, I would like that explained in the backstory. (and I am not looking for extensive backstories. A simple "I've always been interested in drums and when I heard about the Demon Drummers, I had to see if I could handle it. I found out, quickly, that I was not up to snuff and since all my money went to the tuition and plane tickets out here, I'm stuck here in Tokyo until I make enough money to get my ass back home." would work splendidly.)
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by mjrbatou » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:13 pm

last post sounded like the idea behind megatokyo and i'd be game if the time was the same as your teen supers was, the other available slots are pretty much full on my end.
mjrbatou
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: 3.5 without munchkins

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Yeah, the time would be either the same as the teen supers or the same as Nul's Serenity/Dragonlance game, depending on what works best for the most people.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Throol » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:16 am

Could we get a few more points to work with? I was just fiddling with my idea, a fantasy MMO game dev, and there wasn't room for his intelligence, much less skills, gadgets, or resources. 30 pts is on the low end of subhuman.
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:10 am

You'll get 70cp after the first session or so. I think 30cp is perfect to start out as a normal person.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Return to Game Recruiting