Werewolf game

Have a game you want to run? Sending out feelers to see if there is any interest? Go ahead, ask and find players here.

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

Werewolf game

PostPosted by Pyriel » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:11 am

I am considering running a Werewolf (oWoD) game. not sure if it will be a PbP or PbC, will see who's interested first.
the basic premise will be, a group of people that do not know anything about supernaturals at start of the game, (so easier to play if you havent played before; ic your character also wont know a thing at start) and after The First Change, get thrust in a world of supernatural, and become heroes as time passes by (downtime time between sessions, ESPECIALY the first and second story, will exist)

however, because the oWoD is major example of "our werewolves are different" trope, i have to give certain info about werewolves, and after that i'll give info regarding how character creation of "unaware werewolves" will work.
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Classic, but Cinematic is cool.

Re: Werewolf game

PostPosted by Pyriel » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:38 am

-how long do werewolves live?
they live as long as 120 years old max. they mostly become more powerful as age goes by and not weaker like human old people, but still their life span is not that different.

-if a werewolf bits someone, do they get turned to a werewolf?
NO.you get BORN a werewolf, and most of the time one of your parents also were werewolves. as Cain said, "we(vampires/formerly humans) are of one breed and they are of another". the fact that this species *looks* as human(or 'starts' as wolf, tho in my game human base Breed is obligatory) and has next-to-no powers before the first change is irrelevant-they're still a different species, called Garou.

-what does werewolf culture thinks of the world around them:
the werewolves perceive two main driving forces in the universe-Wyld, the "aspect" of primal, chaotic nature, Weaver, the aspect of science, technology, and ideas, and a third one called Wyrm, which has turned to the aspect of corruption.

the Wyrm is responsible for the way the universe degenerates, for insanities, for the way forrests -and cities- can be burned, for the way human society is bound to obey questionable goals, constantly attempting to twist humans into greedy bastards . Vampires are also ALWAYS perceived as pure Wyrm-not just tainted by it. no matter what vampire we're talking about.from the worst diablerist to the most humane one, vampires, per werewolf belief, "must get annihilated, lest the Wyrm keep influencing the world, destroy our homes, and life as we know it".

yes, you read it correctly... in the old world of darkness, werewolves effectively want to save the world.

-what can werewolves do? how do they get killed?
werewolves take aggravated damage from silver (and some supernatural powers). however, sometimes even killing/shooting down a werewolf is NOT a sure way of neutralizing him. he could wake up if its not aggravated damage, or in some other cases simply get too angry to die (no, literaly...)

they can shapeshift into 5 forms:
Homid-base human form.
Glabros-heavy muscular and hairy human, can in theory pass for human from a long distance.
Crinos- a biped 8-foot-tall hybrid war form. huge physical prowess, can use its stamina to soak aggravated damage as if it was simple damage, and has the delirium effect that overloads humans' senses to run away and forget or rationalise what they saw.
Hispo- a huge supermuscular wolf form. runs fast, has a very nasty bite, you could say its a form to hunt people that try to escape.
Lupus-basic wolf.

werewolves can use their inner Rage to further improve their physical prowess.
werewolves can also use Gifts, supernatural powers that spirits teach, and some learn to perform Rituals.
all werewolves can also astraly enter the Spirit World called Umbra.
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:51 am

You say two stories.. what is the theme of them going to be?
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

PostPosted by Pyriel » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:19 pm

the first story will be about the characters learning what they are and coming together as a pack. however... the main themes of the campaign will be the fight against the agents of the Wyrm in LA. vampires, corrupt corporations, organized crime, physical and spiritual foes. note that this is werewolf-the characters , especialy after their rites of passage, *go asking for trouble with very few, if any, doubts in their mind*, a species created as Gaia's Chosen, the closest thing to "knight templar characters" in a world of darkness. as such, their personalities tend to be larger than life to find meaning in such an intense lifestyle.

the stories will not necessarily be only two, but the first and second story will have two months downtime.

some houserules (as the campaign premise forces some changes)
Breed: all characters must be Homid (born as humans). no Lupus(born as wolves) , no Metis (born as hybrids)
Auspice: (phase of moon when character was born) chosen as normal.
Tribe: chosen in-game, and not all tribes will be available.
Gifts: the characters will get them during the first story.
Pack: the characters are expected to form a pack during one of the sessions of the first story.

more info incoming.
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:26 pm

Will the characters know each other from the beginning, like everyone was in elementary school together and were delinquents together growing up and so on?

Also, what age does the first transformation begin at? 12, like puberty?
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Pyriel » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:27 am

1. the characters might know each other from the beginning,but i dont want to force that, That said, were i to choose, i'd advise that they know each other.

2. the first change does *not* occur by coming of age. being at least an adolescent is merely the main prerequisite, but definitely not the trigger. what is needed is the fueling of Rage, usualy by the werewolf being 'pushed too far', like when he is attacked. thus, the book describes some werewolves even reach very late in life for that first change (if they havent been attacked ever, or other psychological factors prevent the change, they might even become 'lost cubs' and never change). thus, a character can be 15 years old, 16, 25, or even 30/40-ish. virtualy next to no limit.
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by Pyriel » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:48 am

some other factors:
Breed shapes how a werewolf sees the world-a Homid(what the player characters will be in this campaign) will always be much more capable of getting along in humans/operate in cities compared to werewolves not born as humans (though in the modern era, Homid ones are the most common anyway).

Auspice: one of the most basic choices a player makes, is what phase did the Moon have when the character was born.
Ragabash(New Moon) types tend to become more sneaky and tricky types, and often develop weird sense of humor.
Theurge (Crescent Moon) types grow to become occultists and shamans of sorts. they perform the pack and tribe's rituals, and their role in garou society is important.
Philodox (Half Moon) ones are leaders and judges, always capable of seeing both sides of a situation. they are responsible, dependable and clever strategists.
Galliard (Gibbous Moon) are warrior poets who revel in song , epic sagas, and inspire the pack to glorious deeds.
Ahroun (Full Moon) have their destiny synonymous with battle of epic scale- however, this comes at a price, the Rage inside an Ahroun being so much it can easily turn to a curse.

Tribe:
Tribes represent the closest thing to "extended family" that werewolves have. many tribes also favour particular training, but these are mostly 'trends' among the tribe. not all tribes will be available in such a campaign-for example, Red Talons cannot be Homid.

Black Furies: female characters only. proud feminist warrior tribe.
Bone Gnawers: they live their lives like lowlifes in human cities, and they gather obscene ammounts of information.
Children of Gaia: perhaps of the "good-est" tribes, and they are common to mediate as opposed to use violence.
Fianna: Celtic characters only. laid back attitude, drink-beer-and-fight-wyrm.
Get of Fenris: "mostly" Scandinavian tribe, they favor the bravest and strongest of warriors for their ranks.
Glass Walkers: while other werewolves mistrust them due to their love of human culture, the Glass Walkers's affinity for technology is legendary.
Red Talons: violent Lupus-only tribe. very rascist towards humans, they believe humans will feed the Wyrm with their actions and will bring the destruction fo all.
Shadow Lords: the shadow lords is a tribe, or better, a lobby formed by manipulative sneaky werewolves who favor results with any means necessary.
Silent Striders: travelers and wanderers, this effectively homeless tribe was cursed long time ago. they have vendettas against specific clans of vampires.
Silver Fangs: an elitist tribe descended from some of the greatest werewolf heroes in history. however, their fanatiscism over some traditions has led them to mild forms of obsession. they usualy also... "do not like the Wyrm"(understatement).
Uktena: a tribe of gathered occultists from all over the world, gathering prophecies and magics.
Wendigo: a tribe of native americans who boast some of the toughest warriors amongst the garou.

(note on whats the difference between tribe/auspice: a cub usualy becomes member of the tribe that trained him after The First Change, with some very rare exceptions, and then sent to form a Pack, where the cub's role in the pack is usualy defined by its Auspice; there might be some peaceful Black Furies/Wendigo, but there are next to no peaceful Ahroun; Tribe is who trained a werewolf, Auspice is how they were born, what they *are*.)

the tribes available will be, Glass Walkers, Bone Gnawers, Children of Gaia, Silver Fangs, and Silent Striders. native american characters can also be Wendigo.)
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by Throol » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:13 pm

Awww... no Stargazers?

I'd be interested if it's PbC, not so much if it's PbP
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: Earthdawn

PostPosted by Starmage21 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:59 pm

Throol wrote:Awww... no Stargazers?

I'd be interested if it's PbC, not so much if it's PbP

Same on the PbC note.
Starmage21
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Palladium

PostPosted by VolV » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:59 am

So this is oWoD, I never actually played oWoD, so yeah, lets go with it, at what time and day.
VolV
2nd level Commoner
2nd level Commoner

Favorite System: WoD

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:18 am

Wouldn't it be better if everyone was of the same tribe? How in the world do werewolves of different tribes join up together? From what little I have read, that situation doesn't even seem to present itself. Especially if we might know each other before the change, which would mean that where ever we are starting would have to have enough werewolves of each of the available tribes living in the same area to have groups of their own to allow the characters to even join the tribe in the first place. 5 characters, for example, would have to mean there are up to 6 tribes and it takes, what? 5 werewolves, one for each moon phase, to make up a tribe, so 25-30 werewolves not including the 5 player characters. Isn't that quite a lot of werewolves for a given area?
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Pyriel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:37 am

answering stuff regarding tribes in room.
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Return to Game Recruiting