Races you want in your Fantasy Games?

Talk about Tabletop Games to your heart's content. Anything and everything, as long as it's about Tabletop RPG's.

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

Races you want in your Fantasy Games?

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm of the mind that any race presented should be available for PC playability from the getgo, but I realize that others have different views of such things. So I wonder, which races would you like to see in a fantasy game as player choices?

Myself?

Elves (per the scandanavian folklore of Alfs and Dwalfs... yup, dwarves were elves that lived underground)
Humans (with differences between them depending on where they come from)
Animal-men (Nagas/Centaurs/Satyrs/Bearmen/Wolfmen/Catmen/Minotaurs/Turtlemen)
Insect-men
Avian-men
Fish/shellfish-men
Dryads/Nymphs/ect.
Giants/Cyclops/ect.
Fae and half-fae

I think that would cover a fantasy world that I would like. You?
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Races you want in your Fantasy Games?

PostPosted by Throol » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:01 am

Dragons, vampires, werebeasts, changelings, nephilim, cambions, revenants, gargoyles, gryphons, unicorns, beings of multiple heritage, goblins, trolls, demigods, humanoids trapped in animal forms, unique beings created by a curse, intelligent familiars, ...
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: Earthdawn

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:27 am

You would want a mixed bag of a character party where they are: Demi-god, intelligent rat, human, goblin, dragon, vampire, and a dog that is really a human forced into this form?

It would take an unique system (one that doesn't allow builds and powergaming) to make the demi-god and dragon no more powerful than the intelligent rat.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Throol » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:25 pm

verdilak wrote:You would want a mixed bag of a character party where they are: Demi-god, intelligent rat, human, goblin, dragon, vampire, and a dog that is really a human forced into this form?

That actually would make a pretty interesting story, quite possibly hilarious. You'd need strong personalities, really good backstories to explain how they're all together, and highly imaginative RP. And each character would have to do what they're good at - the more physical types would handle combat, the ones that blended in best would do social interaction and spying, those with more connections could set things up, etc. Each would step into the spotlight under different conditions.

To use the more innately powerful beings, if you wanted to keep a combat balance, you'd either have to make them young or under some kind of curse that makes them much weaker than normal, or give the other races more points/money to buy magical or psychic powers, contacts, skills, equipment, magic items, etc.

I'm guessing you'd run into problems with powergaming no matter what system you use. Even if you went pure RP, the powergamers are going to describe their characters as uber-powerful with phenomenal abilities. And if you have rules for making and advancing characters, you'll probably have players with builds in mind. I don't know how you would make a system that's so perfectly balanced that builds have no appeal, yet give freedom for playing a variety of character types. You'd probably have to design and playtest set character types with set advancement, no choices, to avoid builds - i.e. you can play a wizard with this set of spells and skills, or a warrior with this weapon and these skills, or a thief with these skills, no choices on abilities, just on personality and history, things that won't affect balance.
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:33 pm

I guess I have never seen the appeal of playing dragons or demigods. Demigods in a supers game, sure, but not fantasy.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Throol » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:58 pm

Dragons can be great fun to play; I've played in games where dragon hatchlings were teamed with well-equipped, experienced adventurers in a couple of different systems, and one game where all characters were young adult dragons.
I've never seen a demigod outside a modern game - either superhero or action/modern fantasy. But plenty appear in the old myths - Achilles, Perseus, Heracles, etc. From what I've seen in D&D, I'd guess them to be equivalent to a high-level adventurer with the usual magic equipment. Like most dragons, they'd only be appropriate in a high-power game, or as the combat component of a specialized group.

I'm just tossing out ideas, based on things I've played and/or read. It'd depend on how you want your world to be, and how powerful you'd want the PC's to be initially.
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Well, the system I am thinking of can handle anything, from God to talking mouse and make them both be just as effective as one another in combat, though one's descriptions of their combat might seem more "Woah!" than the other. However, I'm looking for more typical, common races.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Throol » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:18 am

For that, you could always use the Xanth model: for PC races, cross humans with everything else. Ain't love streams grand?
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Return to General Tabletop Gaming