Who are you heroes (fantasy)?

Talk about Tabletop Games to your heart's content. Anything and everything, as long as it's about Tabletop RPG's.

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

Who are you heroes (fantasy)?

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:40 pm

In movies, comics and books, who are your heroes? Are they "classes" or are they more professions?

Because from the stories that I watch and read, I can think of:

Woodland Guide who realized he was naturally a magic user turned The One
Backer who realized he was naturally magically gifted turned The One
Apple Farmer who realized he had natural magical power
Apple Farmer who realized she was The One Reborn, complete with natural magical power
Inn boy who realized that he was the hidden heir to the throne

Secondary heroes I can see them following more specific class structures, but the "Heroes", from the books that I read at least, seems to set them up as normal people who become greater than the rest as time moves on.

So I guess I am asking, who are your heroes? And if they all come from humble beginnings, would you prefer a game that you picked your typical profession (Farmer, Baker, Candlestick Maker) and let your power grow as the game progresses? Or would you still prefer to start off with power, lets say like picking up a book and starting to read it from the middle or near the end?
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Who are you heroes (fantasy)?

PostPosted by Throol » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:39 am

My favorite heroes tend to be normal (but modern) mundane people - a college student, a future jockey, an assistant professor, etc., who feel trapped in their mundane worlds, until they become immersed in a magical fantasy world. Some make a discovery that allows them to travel to the new place, some are forced there by another, for some it's a combination of imagination and outside power. In any case, once they make the contact with the magical world, they discover that they possess powerful magical abilities, and beyond that, their education in their original world gives them a way of thinking different from the natives, additional ways to solve problems and gain power. And happiness they never knew in the regular world.

Example books: The Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony, The Dragon Knight series by Gordon Dickson, The Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg, The Incomplete Enchanter series by L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt, The Magic Kingdom of Landover series by Terry Brooks

A game where you started out with a regular, powerless 20th century profession, but discovered a magical world where you had power at your fingertips and virtually anything was possible, would be a lot of fun.

If you're looking for what kind of heroes MOST people relate to, there's this one guy, born in a stable, grew up as a carpenter, then went on to become a legend despite a tragic end. I think more people know about that guy than most other heroes you'll find in books.
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: Earthdawn

PostPosted by Pyriel » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:42 am

books:
War of the Spider Queen series-Pharaun. nothing like a drow male wizard who makes a living by defying the "females are 1337!" structure right in front of the eyes of a high priestess-and he's so useful she lets him live! his humour also offers some more light-hearted moments in the books.

Star Wars Legacy of the Force series-Jacen ruins this storyline by being all "neo in the matrix" powerful, but Mara Jade saves it. ex-imperial agent turned jedi turned Luke's wife. of course, Han Solo's son Jacen killed her to become dark lord of the Sith, but in a way even that added to her story as it affected the way others looked at him after killing someone that in many fans' hearts, realy managed to become a part of the "big three" of the movies(Luke, Han, Leia)

Faramir from lord of the Rings (book version, movie one was very different). the only person 110% incorruptible by the ring, " he wouldnt take it if he found it dropped on the street and using it was the only way to save his homeland". a whole "incorruptible" trait was born in one of the rpg systems just in his example. 'nuff said.

V:tM clan novels:
in the dark ages, a certain nobility girl was turned vamp, repeatedly raped for who knows how long, vowed to never be submitted again and trained to become the world's deadliest assassin. enter Lucita, Dark Action Girl(only, "on steroids"!!!!), "Death with Tits".

anime:
L from Death Note. not muscle. not technique. not "gadgets/science" but pure, sheer, unspeakable Intellect. that archetype (Guile Hero/Magnificent Bastard) is very rare.

Code Geass: both Lelouch(super-smart vilain protagonist(Magnificent Bastard) that deeply reminds us Light Yagami from Death Note, but somehow nearly remains Good, unlike Yagami as most agree he turned evil ) AND Suzaku (Lawful Stupid white knight guy that works for the evil empire "just 'cause thats lawful so i dont have a choice" and keeps ruining Lelouch's plans. Crowning Moment of Awesome: in the end,
Spoiler:
Lelouch does a fast coup and the empire's army goes to stop him, but momentarily he is the law; he orders Suzaku to destroy the empire army. the moment Suzaku's eyes glow, saying "YES! YOUR MAJESTY!!!!!!" and his mecha proceeds to pWn a whole army of mechas' some of them even superior to his own, is SUPER crowning moment of awesome, and dabbles as "abandoned plot" as it reminds us that writers never had time to explore how suzaku gained his powers
)

Neon Genesis Evangelion: pretty much everyone here is mentaly unstable-at VERY best! the only somehow sane guy is a traitor/spythat got killed. even the 14-year olds are very scary/creepy(yes, main protagonist Shinji , nerd that ended up failing everyone at direst moments AND wishing to an all-powerful entity to destroy the world "because nobody loves me", i'm looking at you!). hell, especialy the 14-year olds(granted, Asuka's personality was nearly destroyed after her mind-rape, but was pretty jacked-up even before). its very hard to relate to anyone there. but one GOTTA respect Katsuragi for being all major badass and less-insane than some of the rest (just some father issues and obsession to destroy the angels, as well as minor avoidant personality) AND for nearly saving everyone's lives in the end with a mere pistol (and if Shinji wasnt a MAJOR deconstruction of the heroic nerd archetype(well, NGE has deconstructions for EVERYTHING, thats why i love it), failing everyone at direst moment, her actions at saving him would have saved the world)

tv:
Jack Bristow from Alias. Guile Hero with super-troubled past, and a tragic personal life that makes him all the more obsessed/dangerous to the villains.not main protagonist, sure, but who cares. if he wasnt there, villains would have won in season 1 :P

Michael "Boyscout" Voughn from Alias. maybe less experienced than some of the rest of the crew, but his idealism and leadership skills as well as innovative plans made a huge difference.

"Michael" from La Femme Nikita: the show's Enigma. he gets hit by a sniper rifle in the head and is "bothered". he gets hit by grenades and ...faints, like he was merely punched by some strong guy. he gets repeatedly shot by submachineguns and then building he is in explodes. that hurts him just a little bit. and this guy is SUPPOSEDLY human (?) as the show SUPPESEDLY had no powers. Implacable Man poster boy.

Dexter. Badass Bookworm supreme, a blood spatter analyst that knows Jujutsu (and thats such a small part of his badassery...) he's a serial killer, whose chosen victims just *happen* to be serial killers. he never harms anyone else, he didnt even kill cops that got close to discovering him! epitome of antihero. imagine Light Yagami, if he had succeeded in his Moral Event Horizon moments and stayed Good.

Spike from BtVS/Angel. Ensemble Darkhorse(initialy designed to 'last' about 5 episodes). Monster, turned Man, turned Hero. the fact that, in many ways, he decided to get Good *before he ever got a soul* is MAJOR difference to Angel(who, like, Connor said, is just a mask Angelus is *forced* to wear) who is mostly Powers that Be's pawn.

i know lots of the things i wrote aint fantasy(though imo BtVS/Angel, Code Geass, V:tM, War of the Spider Queen, Star Wars etc do function the way fantasy functions; hell, Suzaku's field name is "Lancelot", and his two buddies are called Tristan and Mordred!) i like, in general, heroes whose core lies in ususual/strange personality, that makes them dangerous. people that would be crazy enough to attempt being heroes anyway, and powers merely help them at it, if they have powers at all. wether they are "main" protagonists of the books/series or not, i dont even care.
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Classic, but Cinematic is cool.

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:28 am

Throol wrote:
A game where you started out with a regular, powerless 20th century profession, but discovered a magical world where you had power at your fingertips and virtually anything was possible, would be a lot of fun.

This is one of the settings that I am working on.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.

Return to General Tabletop Gaming