Why would you ever buy new software

Have a computer problem? Want to show off your rig? Lets hear it!

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

Why would you ever buy new software

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:08 pm

if you can never resell it? Because if you can't resell it, then you have never actually owned it, which is fucking bullshit.

The Ninth Circuit court ruled today that you do not have the right to sell used software if the license agreement forbids it. The case centered on legitimate copies of Autodesk sold second-hand on eBay, but the ruling spells trouble for any business (e.g. GameStop) that relies on America's increasingly cold-to-the-touch doctrine of first sale.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Why would you ever buy new software

PostPosted by NulSyn » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:12 pm

This is something the consumer will decide in the long run. It's not much different than DRM and a lot of companies are ditching it because the consumers have fought back so hard on it. This decision is saying that you can't re-sell software that the company has put in its agreement they can't re-sell; not that all software cannot be resold. When companies start to see a decrease in their sells they very well rethink the idea just like DRM or any other number of strategies.

I am all for free market and all that, but people are making this more than it is. This is a court holding consumers to a contract they accepted. Not a ban on selling used software law.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:56 pm

The problem is that many programs and software do not have such disclosure until you begin installation. And by that time, you cannot return it to the store for your money back, nor would you be able to sell it.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:58 am

I am not sure where you have been shopping for your software, but I have never been anywhere that wouldn't take back software that's been opened. Most will refund without questions, and those that didn't, talking to a manager gets your refund in about 30 seconds; especially if you mention problems with the agreement. Places might say it has to be exchanged for the same product, but retail wants your business and if it's the product itself that is the problem, they'll take it back in a heartbeat.

At the same time actual hardcopies of software is almost completely a dinosaur now. And selling copies of downloaded software has always been prohibited, so things really aren't changing much. Still though a good written Letter of Complaint has always resolved my issues if its even gotten that far. If a company treats me bad or doesn't handle business in a way I like, I quit buying from them, and usually let them know it. That has more power than people seem to think.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Really? Around here, at any wal-marts, if a dvd, game, or software is opened the most you can get it a new copy of whatever it is you are returning due to the easy of copying and whatnot.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:03 pm

verdilak wrote:Really? Around here, at any wal-marts, if a dvd, game, or software is opened the most you can get it a new copy of whatever it is you are returning due to the easy of copying and whatnot.

Walmarts the easiest, I worked there for too long. All you have to do is say you are dissatisfied with the product and service open or not; they'll return it.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:53 pm

well damn, I worked in the electronics dept. and I didn't even know of that trick.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Return to Computers!