What games are played with cards?

Talk about Tabletop Games to your heart's content. Anything and everything, as long as it's about Tabletop RPG's.

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

What games are played with cards?

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:53 pm

I am curious because I've conceived of a RPG where you use cards for confrontations and skill use, but in the form of the War game (for combat, everyone drops a card and adds a number to it, every card you lose, you lose a HP. Cards you gain from winning, raises your HP. If people tie, then they go to Final Countdown (War), where you bet a number of cards (your life points) and winner takes all. I was thinking of each person only having as many cards as their HP, which would require many decks of cards), so if there is one out there already, I'd like to check it out.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: What games are played with cards?

PostPosted by NulSyn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:23 am

Probably the most known games that used cards was Dragonlance and Marvel SAGA. They used decks of cards that had custom suites. The cards were used for everything from character generation to action resolution.

Tying health into the mechanic scares me away from your idea, especially if your games of War have been like mine.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:42 am

Well, with a normal set of cards, that would give everyone a full suit so 14 cards. That would be... oh, I was thinking about combat from just one side. Still, I think it would be an interesting way to deal with combat that would work out rather quickly and intuitively (maybe not health, but more like exhaustion points or whatnot). Hmmm...

And no, the games of War that i played must not have been like yours lol
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

PostPosted by NulSyn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:11 pm

What I loved about Dragonlance SAGA (I ran the entire campaign in every boxset) was that players had a choice to use a low card and lose or hope to scrape by and using their big cards and making sure important things were done right or a good chance of taking down a BIG baddy. It was a very fresh way of handling things and with the way SAGA worked took most of the load of the GM when it came to numbers and such.

EDIT: Should also say that your "hand size" was your HP in SAGA, but there was no stealing cards from others to bloat your hand or anything.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by First Oni » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:18 pm

I'm gonna throw another at you... Untold the RPG. I tried it at DragonCon and loved it. Check it out guys.

http://www.untoldthegame.com/

-Oni
Eloy Lasanta, CEO of Third Eye Games
Apocalypse Prevention, Inc. and Wu Xing: The Ninja Crusade - ON SALE NOW http://www.thirdeyegames.net!
Also check the forums at http://www.thirdeyegames.net/forums!
First Oni
2nd level Commoner
2nd level Commoner

Favorite System: DGS

PostPosted by Rayven » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:47 am

My favorite that can use cards is The Everlasting. I've never played it with cards, but it's worth going through anyhow. There are 4 corebooks, which are all supplements of each other (the books are The Book of Light (angelic characters and setting), The Book of the Fantastical (high fantasy), The Book of Unliving (horror), and The Book of Spirits (kinda like White Wolf's "Wraith" and "Geist" games). The system is set up to be either D20 (palladium style, not WoTC style), D12, Tarot cards, Poker Cards, or Freeform, depending on GM confort and preference.

Noble knight site for the game
STARE INTO MY EYES FOREVER
LET ME TAKE YOU IN MY ARMS
DANCE WITH ME OUT IN THE GARDEN
WHERE TOMORROW NEVER COMES
FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARKNESS
WHERE THE NIGHTMARES NEVER FADE
WHISPER DREAMS MY FALLEN ANGEL
FROM WHICH YOU WILL NEVER WAKE
Religion starts wars. Spirituality ends them

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

Location: Cubicle greyness...I'm surrounded by false intelligence!
Favorite System: Any

Return to General Tabletop Gaming