What system for Scott Pilgrim vs The World?

Talk about Tabletop Games to your heart's content. Anything and everything, as long as it's about Tabletop RPG's.

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

What system for Scott Pilgrim vs The World?

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:57 pm

I'm thinking it would need to be a lite to lite-medium type of game. Something that would allow control by the players (like Fate Points or Hero Points or something). Also, would need to allow for gonzo-crazy ass shit, with health and whatnot not too strong of a force.

I'm thinking Wushu, but Tri-Stat could also work in a pinch. What do you guys think?
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: What system for Scott Pilgrim vs The World?

PostPosted by Throol » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:22 am

I haven't seen the movie, but if it's crazy-ass fighting and odd powers, Feng Shui's made for it.
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: Earthdawn

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:56 pm

It would need to be a game where the specifics on powers are not there, needs to be all player description driven.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:31 am

Okay, I'm thinking this would require a new game built for this type of gameplay: ARPG (Arcade RPG)

1 thought that I have had is that everything would be a conflict, from fighting over a girl to deciding who gets the last slice of pizza.

Conflict types should be based on different video game genres and possibly random rolled for each conflict (or every other conflict) so that the participants do not always choose the conflict type that best suits their stats.

For example, in the movie, we have multiple conflict types. The first battle was a typical 1-on-1 fighter, while the last battle was a beat-'em-up due to the number of mooks that Scott had to take out first. There was a rock band conflict, the vegan dude, and a rock band group w/ 1-on-1 fighter conflict, which was vs the twins. Actually, the vegan dude fight was a couple of different conflict types (fighter, rock band, logic) and the 2nd evil ex was as well (fighter, beat-'em-up, skater) so it stands to reason that there should be a way to change it up... or maybe you gotta beat the boss at 2 out of three conflicts in order to defeat them?

Okay, so here I go:

Stats would be:
Intelligence = The number needed to roll under in order to land a hit
Defense/Armor/Toughness (cant decide on what term to use, maybe make it user defined to showcase how each character deals with damage) = Reduces the amount of damage/energy loss taken
Strength = Controls the amount of damage normal attacks dealt
Speed = Controls how fast your character can move and the highest combo amount your character can achieve
Willpower = Controls the amount of damage Special Powers give out (Intel+Str/2)
[User Defined] Points/Powers = Controls the amount of energy available for using Special Powers (This is what powers your character and sets the theme for your Special Powers. Like, it could be Intelligence, Love, Anger, ect.) (Intel+Speed/2)
HP would be (Strength) + (Defense/Armor/Toughness) - (Speed)

Actually, the above might be more video-game-ish but not scott pilgrim-ish unless you count the guitar-playing and whatnot special powers (which could work if you think of it like that).

The game would use Drama/Fate/Bennies/ect. except that they would be known as tokens/quarters, each worth $0.25. Reviving a group member would cost $0.50 per 1/4 of HP healed.

Combos would be allowed, depending on how the attack rolls went, but would not deal max damage per hit. They would deal reduced damage, but each combo hit that lands would gain the character additional quarters.

So, combat would be rolling vs your Intelligence. If you roll under, you hit. If you roll low enough, you can start a combo where you can do additional attacks that each must be rolled under Intelligence or else the combo ends. The damage would depend on the Strength or Willpower amount, which would then be decreased by the victim's Defense/Armor/Toughness/ect. (unsure about the dice so far, though I am partial to d8's)

In addition to the Stats, there would be skills and special powers.

I dunno, there is more thought to be had, but I don't actually think this would work out very well, and doesnt seem very evocative of the setting now that I think about it...
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Okay, thought more on this, and I think I like what I've done here, which it is very TSdX inspired:

Combattery (strength and constitution)
Roguery (dexterity and charisma)
Magery (intelligence and wisdom)

Scores of 1-10
Get 10 points to put wherever you want to begin with

Comx2 = Exhaustion Points
Rogx2 = Roguish Points
Magx2 = Mana Points
Attributes/3 (round down) = Number of Powers you can start with
Attribute = Number of skills in that Attribute you can start with
Com+Thi/2 = Damage Reduction
Thi+Mag/2 = Fate Points
Com+Thi+Mag = Hearts

NonLethal (Bashing/Punching/Kicking) attacks reduce hearts by half
Lethal (Piercing/Stabbing/Slashing) attacks reduce hearts fully
You can take 20pts of nonlethal damage, 10pts of lethal slashing damage, or any combination.

Fate Points:
1 Fate Point can turn a lethal attack into a nonlethal attack, before damage is calculated.
1 Fate Point can turn a nonlethal attack into a glancing attack, before the attack is rolled. If you spend a Fate Point in this manner, you will take at least half a heart in damage due to glancing nature (this can be combined with the above to turn a lethal attack into a glancing blow, but it would take 2 Fate Points).
1 Fate Point can cause you to regain a heart only if you are at zero hearts (Continue? Y/N)
1 Fate Point can change a detail in the game world, how minor or strong a detail it changes is up to the GM, that is not affected by the other ways one can spend a Fate Point (you can spend a fate point o have the villain pick up a baseball ball bat instead of his longsword that he is grasping at, if the GM says its cool, but you can’t spent a Fate Point to regain a heart when you are at 1 or more hearts).
1 Fate Point can be used to reroll the dice and take the higher of the two.
1 Fate Point can be spent to add a +2 Fate modifier to any roll.
Fate Points regenerate at the beginning of every session where the one before it did not end in a cliffhanger
You can permanently spend a Fate Point from your pool to gain a Talent.

Healing:
Sleeping causes half of your total hearts to be healed
Resting causes ¼ of your total hearts to be healed.

Attributes:
3 Attributes. 10 points to spend between them. 6 is the highest you can start with in any given attribute, unless a weakness modifies it.

Powers:
An example or two for each cost will be given, as well as rules for how to determine how many exhaustion/roguish/magery points a given powe should cost.

Skills:
Skills will be player determined and will be on a level basis. The number of skills you can have is determined by your Attribute level, and you will have 10 points to spread between them. You can choose to not take the full number of skills allowed to gain an extra skill point per skill you do not take. Skills cannot be higher than 4 to begin play with. Examples of skills with their pertaining attribute will be given for ease of playability.

Talents:
Talents will be ways to hack the system, such as letting your exhaustion points count as magery points, and so on.

Weaknesses:
Weakness will be listed out, as well as how many points the weakness gives to exhaustion/roguish/magery points or attributes and so on.

System:
Roll 1d10+Skill+Attribute that powers said skill(+Fate Point) vs Target Number or Opposed Roll.
Target Numbers:
Easy: 4
Routine: 6
… and so on up to Godlike: 24
Additional:
Uses exploding dice on Nat 10
There will be situational modifiers depending on different things.

Setting: SCOTT PILGRIM vs THE WORLD
Example: Scott and Knives fighting together would be a special Talent that would allow someone to fight in step with you to give half their normal bonus to your attacks.
Example: Evil Ex-Girlfriend had the Roguery Power of Teleportation and the Roguery Skill of whips.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Return to General Tabletop Gaming