Cell Phones - Need Help

You like crafts? You like DIY? We do too! Post stuff you have made, found online that cools cool, or anything that deals with crafts and DIY!

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

Cell Phones - Need Help

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:26 pm

We are looking for a cell phone that can connect to the internet via WiFi, as well as one that allows for Messengers. This is basically so that we can check google maps while out driving as well as use the internet near hotspots without a need for our laptops.

Of course, the more the merrier when it comes to features for the price, so I am also looking for ebook readability (txt and pdf), camera, video camera, fm radio, tv, and mp3 player. Oh, and Touchscreen is a given. Question for those who have touchscreen phones: How difficult is it to type on one and should I look for the phones that have a hidden sliding keyboard for typing ease?

So far, I have found the following phones but am unsure of which one is better than the others (limit for a phone is around $100):

McLovin - Seems rather cool, but on the FAQ portion, it states that WiFi connection is a bit difficult, which completely defeats the purpose. But, it can view pdf's and .doc's, as well as twitter.
Tripoli - can only read txt ebooks and only hold 4gb, but has a decent camera
Odyssey - really, really low camera resolution and can only read txt ebooks, but can hold 16gb
Thuder - can only read txt ebooks and only hold 4gb, but has a decent camera
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Cell Phones - Need Help

PostPosted by NulSyn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:11 pm

Those are all Chinese rip-offs, I wouldn't touch any of those with a 10' pole.

If your looking for pdf readability, I wouldn't recommend a phone. Even the larger touch screen are annoying as hell to try to read pdfs on.

On phones touch screen is annoying as hell. it rarely types what I want it to, especially with any speed. I recommend getting a full qwerty even if it has a touch screen.

Checking google maps while driving will need some form of roaming internet 3g, 4g, basic phone sat., or a MiFi, if it has WiFi. I personally for what you have listed would by a netbook instead of a phone. It's just so handy for those things, and will run better and with more power than a phone will ever hope for. But if your dead set on a phone that does those things limiting yourself to $100 destroys everything I would recommend. My phone doesn't even do all of those and it was $250. Samsung Code (similar to a Blackberry) runs Windows Mobile, has a full web browser, has Windows Office, runs videos etc....and I would still recommend a netbook for those things listed.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:03 pm

I dont need turn-by-turn directions. I would like to be able to stop in a hotspot, pull up a google maps, and check where I am at and so on. Nor do i need a pdf reader, just would be a bit cool to have.

I agree about the netbook thing, but they are still too expensive for my tastes especially since it seems like the phone would work for my uses.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:11 pm

I paid more for my phone than my netbook :s_biggrin
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:56 pm

what's the difference between a netbook and a laptop, and why not just go ahead and drag my laptop around if i'm going to have to spend as much for a phone anyway?
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

Favorite System: Unisystem

PostPosted by NulSyn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Netbook is much smaller than a laptop, but bigger than a phone. They usually have around 6-250 GB hardrives, small processors, and around an 8-10 inch screen. They can pretty much do anything your laptop can but in a form smaller than a purse.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:54 am

lol, yeah, gonna have a really hard time justifying the purchase of something that costs the same amount as my laptop (and does a bit less) just because it's smaller. Looks like Trusty 'ol Lappy is going with me on my family reunion trip.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by NulSyn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:05 pm

You can get Netbooks for under $200, how much did you get your laptop for? WalMart even has a decent one that fluctuates between $200-250.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:29 pm

My laptop cost me something like $300 last summer; it's the most i've ever spent on anything that didn't have tires and an engine. Or a couple of bathrooms. :P
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:26 pm

Care to share any linkage of under $200 netbooks? Otherwise, gonna go with a chinese made knockoff. Because honestly, I don't see what the problem is. The production centers are there in China already, they know how the originals are made and are making them already.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:59 pm

Dell Outlet carries refurbs with new warranty. They currently have a bunch of Dell Minis for $220, but it changes daily, and if you watch they have ones that go even cheaper, but they fly out quickly during the day. Keep your eye out at your local Wal Mart too, they often lower the current Acer Netbook to $200 when the new ones arrive or they have a sell.

The reason I wouldn't go for a chinese cell phone is that I know people who have got them and then most phone carriers won't allow or can't use them. They are also notoriously known for having second hand parts that stop working/die quicker/don't exactly do what they claim. Of the 4 people I have known that got chinese rips, all 4 wished they'd just bought the real phones they have now and saved themselves the money they wasted.

hippie_mama wrote:My laptop cost me something like $300 last summer; it's the most i've ever spent on anything that didn't have tires and an engine. Or a couple of bathrooms. :P

:s_omg
You need to live a little in da world of tech, giiiirrrlllll! :s_biggrin

My laptop cost $900, my netbook $200, and phone $250. Join the DARK SIDE!
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:07 pm

Hmm.. the company I linked to have a 12 month warranty for their phones and based on their reviews, work with all carriers throughout the world.

And the link gave me an error page... I assume it was just to their webstore?
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:15 pm

verdilak wrote:Hmm.. the company I linked to have a 12 month warranty for their phones and based on their reviews, work with all carriers throughout the world.

And the link gave me an error page... I assume it was just to their webstore?

I know none of those phones work with my carrier and two of my friends carriers; that knocks out MetroPCS, Boost Mobile, and Verizon. And does the 12 month warranty cover basic returns or refunds? It'll be nice to have when the phone isn't very good.

I forgot Dell doesn't allow outside links to their Outlet section. It is NOT their web store. It is the Dell Outlet section. I fixed the link to go as far as I can go.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:21 pm

Well, it says:

In the unlikely event there is a quality defect that causes the device to be unacceptable for sale or unusable during the 12 months after dispatch from our warehouse, we will accept a return. When we receive the goods back in China we will either repair the item, or offer full credit towards ordering a replacement.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:26 pm

So no basic returns/refunds it has to be defective even then its repair or exchange never your money back. Be very careful, I would call the carrier you plan to use and the information on the phone you want to order and make sure without a doubt it will work long before buying anything. That's a very big risk, especially with the quality of the Chinese rips.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

Return to Crafts, DIY, and Technology!