EA Fights Against Used Game Sales

For General Console News and Information

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

EA Fights Against Used Game Sales

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu May 13, 2010 12:51 am

http://kotaku.com/5535577/eas-fight-against-used-game-sales-passes-to-tiger-woods wrote:Publisher EA is extending its "Project Ten Dollar" scheme to make buying used copies of EA Sports games a bad idea. Don't expect to play your EA Sports games online without the "Online Pass" included in new copies.

What is Online Pass? It's a game-specific, single-use registration code included in new copies—and in new copies only—of games like the upcoming Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 that will grant Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 owners access to online content—"online services, features and bonus content" according to EA.

Yes, that does include head-to-head and multiplayer online gameplay modes. Online Pass also grants access to online leagues, roster and playbook updates, user-created content downloads and tournament features. More details on that sweeping change at EA Sports' official site.

Those who purchase Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 used can purchase an Online Pass for $10 USD. EA is also offering a "free 7-day trial to experience Online Pass." According to the official Online Pass web site, Madden NFL 11, EA Sports MMA, FIFA 11, NBA Live 11, NFL 11, and NCAA Football 11 will also employ the "original purchaser" targeted plan.

EA has implemented similar anti-used game measurements with games like Mass Effect 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and The Saboteur, leading to one class action lawsuit against retailer GameStop, which specializes in used game sales.

If this sounds unappealing to you, let the soothing words of EA Sports president Peter Moore ease your troubles. "This is an important inflection point in our business because it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhance premium online services to the entire robust EA SPORTS online community," said Peter Moore. I feel better already!

http://kotaku.com/5536592/why-ea-thinks-online-pass-plan-is-good-for-you-and-ea wrote:Video game publisher EA has a new plan to squash used game sales, the Online Pass program, which requires a unique code to access online content and multiplayer. Why does EA think this is good for you, the consumer?

Electronic Arts boss John Riccitiello stresses the Online Pass scheme is not just a great way to make buying a used copy of its game less attractive. "We think it's a great idea. We think it's gonna build our business. And we think it's a positive consumer experience," EA's CEO said during an investor call today.

"Invariably, the consumer is getting a boatload more content to experience than they otherwise would," Riccitiello said. "We used to literally pull our teams off of a game within maybe four to six weeks pre-ship and they'd go work on something else because the game was done, it was going into manufacturing. Their jobs were done."

Now, with EA's adoption of "Project Ten Dollar" initiatives like Mass Effect 2's Cerberus Network and Battlefield: Bad Company 2's VIP program, things have changed.

"Our teams are being held in place up through and beyond ship to continue to create content to entertain the consumer with new content associated with the IP they like best," Riccitiello says. Of course, EA's going to benefit too... and not just from fewer used game sales.

"We saw a very, very high redemption rate of first time purchasers using the code redeeming the content," added EA COO John Schappert. "By giving people this access code, we got them into the online world. So we've seen very strong uptick in downloadable content across all titles, because we have content available on day one and we seeded it with a bonus token for free content."

You see? Everybody wins!

ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: EA Fights Against Used Game Sales

PostPosted by Starmage21 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:56 pm

asinine
Starmage21
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Palladium

PostPosted by Shinitenshi » Thu May 13, 2010 11:12 pm

That does suck, but they have been doing similar things for years. If you buy a game new you get single use codes to download extra content but if you buy it used you miss out on getting that extra content free. We bought our Dragon Age: Origins used so we had to purchase The Stone Prisoner separately, and will never have access to the Dragon Blood Armor.
I just Spread the Dead. Click below to do the same and you could win $5,000! Don’t forget to check out the premiere of The Walking Dead Sunday Oct. 31 at 10/9c on AMC. http://www.amcspreadthedead.com/share?ref=331746679
Shinitenshi
Forum Temptress
Forum Temptress

Favorite System: Pally

PostPosted by Rayven » Fri May 14, 2010 12:36 pm

Wait. They're DISALLOWING multiplayer if the game isn't new?!?! So....what about the kids who can't afford a $65 game, but CAN afford $3 to rent it from Blockbuster? Are those kids now to be shunned in the gaming world because they can only play a small portion of the game?

Fucking retarded.
STARE INTO MY EYES FOREVER
LET ME TAKE YOU IN MY ARMS
DANCE WITH ME OUT IN THE GARDEN
WHERE TOMORROW NEVER COMES
FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARKNESS
WHERE THE NIGHTMARES NEVER FADE
WHISPER DREAMS MY FALLEN ANGEL
FROM WHICH YOU WILL NEVER WAKE
Religion starts wars. Spirituality ends them

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

Location: Cubicle greyness...I'm surrounded by false intelligence!
Favorite System: Any

PostPosted by Zamion » Sun May 16, 2010 2:17 am

i can kinda see it from the smaller gaming houses out there like NIS there games sell like crap new...then fan boys horde them up and they shoot up to 70 dollars....after they went for 20 bucks new cuase of how far down the price plumeted on being a dusty shelf title.......but for EA to bitch is crap maybe if they didnt crank out a new madden every year and a new every sport game every year and had some original game titles in the last two years but as it is all they do is rehash there shit for all there AAA games . bioware wants my 10 dollars they get it,koei shit make me anouther romance of the three kingdoms or a battleship game and ill give a 10 dollar a month online fee to play that bad boy...(come on release new horizons in english online ill fuckign pay. i swear) , square...maybe, they dinky little game houses that make stuff for DS and PSP ohhh they can have my 10 dollars with there plot driven games and new stories and charecters and gaming ideas...

and i ramble...... r:_lolabove
but truely poor kids buy used fan boys buy new rich kids and adults buy new , this is totaly screwing kids and adults that are broke asses
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

Favorite System: ahhhh shadowrun

Return to General