Game ideas that you want to play or GM

Have a game you want to run? Sending out feelers to see if there is any interest? Go ahead, ask and find players here.

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

Game ideas that you want to play or GM

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:17 am

Cartoon Buddy/Hate. Basically, a two-player game where you play two antagonistic cartoon characters, ala Tom and Jerry, Coyote and Road Runner, Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, etc.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Game ideas that you want to play or GM

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:20 am

Crazy Rifts, or World of Synnibarr (dont know WS's setting yet, so this might be just like it)

In the year 2112, the first true AI is created. In the year 2124, gene therapy and in vitro conditioning allow us to give any primate sentience (and sapience). In the year 2137, a horrific plague sweeps the planet, wiping out 75% of the population. In the year 2158, a miracle virus is released as a counter-agent. This virus has different effects on different people. For about 60% of the population, they become immune to disease, cancer, aging, and many toxins (effectively immortal, barring accidents or violence). For about 30% of the population, they do not gain the above benefits, but instead become superhuman fast, strong, and tough. The remaining 10% of the population basically go through the "Reaver effect," becoming hyper-violent zombies.

Unfortunately, the counter-agent was too late. Civilization as we know it fell. In a post-apocalyptic landscape, the remnants battle for resources. In a peculiar quirk, nearly every single Army Ranger got the superhuman effect of the virus, and formed a modern version of the Texas Rangers, riding out and dispensing justice in the name of an America that no longer exists. Raiders fly above the landscape in skyships, plundering to their black hearts' content. China has remained surprisingly intact, and has dispatched large numbers of highly trained superhuman agents to destroy what is left of America.

Yes, indeed. You can choose to play a monkey, a robot, a cowboy, a pirate, a ninja, or a zombie.
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:28 am

Cliche!: The game that nobody likes (or at least doesn't admit to).

While it's more or less half-meta, it's essentially a gathering of all of the generic fantasy tropes that vocal internet RPG fans seem to despise- Races include such things the good(that everyone hatesl) elves and the evil(the ones that everyone wants to play) elves, equipment such as faux-plate (all of the restrictions, none of the protection), and classes like the Lesbian Stripper Ninja (Also available in Trench coats & Katanas: Cliche! Modern, and That's Totally Unrealistic, I Mean, Seriously: Cliche! Future).
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:30 am

Oooh, how about this for a game. Take your basic Narnia, happy, rate-PG, explicitly Christian and Caucasian fantasy land. The PCs are, naturally, children from our world sent to the secret kingdom in a time of great unrest. The thing is, the wrong kids went through the Wardrobe. Instead of the Pensives, the PCs are hoodlums, hoodrats, and maybe one leftist revolutionary. It's Narnia meets the Boondocks! Tea and crumpets meats Twinkies and Yahoo!
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:33 am

How about a game where it's basically, Naruto that takes place in the far future of the Star Wars universe. Ninja Villages are rival Force-User factions, etc. The Players each choose a Star Wars re-imagining of one of the "Konoha Twelve" as their character... And then the plot goes wild. Stupid, I know, but it'd be fun, I think. The system would of course be SW Saga (though I dont think Chick would be happy about that kind of rapage that would occur against SW).
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:36 am

I'd also like to play in a Wild West horror/monster type of game. Where they are giant mosquitoes plucking men right off the banks of the rivers, or demonic bison that control thunder and lightning. Just crazy ass shit, but in the Wild West (I know I know, I could just play a game of Rifts: New West, but I dont want that type of feeling, i want tumbleweeds, I want European type class in the eastern states, ect.)
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:57 am

THIS would be fun to play or GM...

The Story: One morning – perhaps after a strange magical occurrence, or a short journey into a magically-touched area – the PCs wake up to find themselves alone. As in completely. Not a single human or demi-human soul is to be found, no matter how wide they travel. Beds lie empty. Bars are untended. Cows go unmilked in the fields and the thrones of every lord and king are unoccupied. It is a terrifyingly lonely existence, but more terrifying are the shadowy creatures that walk at night…

It seems that in one night, a great evil ritual was enacted, and an evil force has won its victory over the land. Thousands were killed instantly, even more were turned into soulless undead. Now there are no more heroes except the PCs, and nobody left to save – except themselves. Will evil be triumphant, or will the last few survivors find a way to turn things back?

Style and Structure: Evil winning has been done elsewhere (in Midnight, notably), but never quite so completely. And although it seems like an enormously dramatic change to a setting, one of the interesting things about doing this in fantasy is how little it actually changes. You don’t, after all, need humans to explore dungeons, find treasure, kill goblins, undead and dragons and unlock ancient rituals and magic. What changes completely, however, is downtime.

There are no more taverns in which to enjoy a beer and gain some rumours. There are no blacksmiths to make or sharpen weapons, no cooks to provide food, no teachers to teach skills or magic, nor any other such things which players tend to take for granted. We all know the classic story of combat-loaded PCs stuck in the wilderness and starving to death for want of survival skills: this becomes the entire reality of this campaign. The PC who just happened to take a survival skill is now the only thing stopping the rest of the group from starving to death. XP may now be flushed into mundane skills as a player tries desperately to learn how to fashion armour. True, money no longer matters, as everything is suddenly a lot easier to steal, but not everything can be stolen. Mages in particular may suffer if they normally need teachers to learn – but on the other hand, they can now simply waltz into the libraries that were previously barred to them.

Also key is the issues of motivation. There are no longer any princesses to save, any kings to ask heroes to rescue them from dark lords, and no wizards to provide quests. PCs can be like kids in a candy shop and do whatever they want – but may also fall prey to apathy. GMs will need to take care to provide some home of a resolution (even if it won’t bring everyone back) and clues to how to get there, clues that can’t simply be handed from an NPC.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:23 am

Colonial BtS.

School-teacher, scholar and part-time occult investigator Ichabod Crane told Washington Irving that he’d found nothing but a hoax in the town of Sleepy Hollow. He had to: the truth was far too horrible. And the headless horseman the legends spoke of was just the tip of the iceberg. When the natives had left, they had taken their rituals and their seals with them, and now the spirits are rising up anew, and catching the imagination of a terrified, puritan populace. Willow-wisps glide through the demon-haunted woods that lie beyond every tiny, isolated settlement. Witches make dark pacts with darker gods, and seduce young girls to join their abominable cults. The New World promised hope and manifest destiny, but it holds more danger than any settler ever imagined.

To reveal the truth would be folly; it would only cause panic. Instead Crane retired from the world, took his newly-inherited endowment and began recruiting his own private militia. Dubbing them the Countryside Irregulars, they wear dark coats and black felt tricornes, the better to move amongst the darkness. They do carry badges as well, however, professing their allegiance to protecting the New Colonies, and in the frightened villages, a badge and a musket carries a great deal of sway. So it is that they listen to the rumours and the fireside tales, to stories of monsters, ghosts, and witches, or mysterious disappearances and restless spirits. Then these brave men ride to those towns, and root out the monsters in the darkness, and put the spirits to rest. For if they do not, no-one will – and the tide of evil seems ever-growing…

from here
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:27 pm

verdilak wrote:I'd also like to play in a Wild West horror/monster type of game. Where they are giant mosquitoes plucking men right off the banks of the rivers, or demonic bison that control thunder and lightning. Just crazy ass shit, but in the Wild West (I know I know, I could just play a game of Rifts: New West, but I dont want that type of feeling, i want tumbleweeds, I want European type class in the eastern states, ect.)

SW Deadlands Reloaded.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:31 pm

Really? Hmmm....
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Shinitenshi » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:32 am

verdilak wrote:THIS would be fun to play or GM...

The Story: One morning – perhaps after a strange magical occurrence, or a short journey into a magically-touched area – the PCs wake up to find themselves alone. As in completely. Not a single human or demi-human soul is to be found, no matter how wide they travel. Beds lie empty. Bars are untended. Cows go unmilked in the fields and the thrones of every lord and king are unoccupied. It is a terrifyingly lonely existence, but more terrifying are the shadowy creatures that walk at night…

It seems that in one night, a great evil ritual was enacted, and an evil force has won its victory over the land. Thousands were killed instantly, even more were turned into soulless undead. Now there are no more heroes except the PCs, and nobody left to save – except themselves. Will evil be triumphant, or will the last few survivors find a way to turn things back?

Style and Structure: Evil winning has been done elsewhere (in Midnight, notably), but never quite so completely. And although it seems like an enormously dramatic change to a setting, one of the interesting things about doing this in fantasy is how little it actually changes. You don’t, after all, need humans to explore dungeons, find treasure, kill goblins, undead and dragons and unlock ancient rituals and magic. What changes completely, however, is downtime.

There are no more taverns in which to enjoy a beer and gain some rumours. There are no blacksmiths to make or sharpen weapons, no cooks to provide food, no teachers to teach skills or magic, nor any other such things which players tend to take for granted. We all know the classic story of combat-loaded PCs stuck in the wilderness and starving to death for want of survival skills: this becomes the entire reality of this campaign. The PC who just happened to take a survival skill is now the only thing stopping the rest of the group from starving to death. XP may now be flushed into mundane skills as a player tries desperately to learn how to fashion armour. True, money no longer matters, as everything is suddenly a lot easier to steal, but not everything can be stolen. Mages in particular may suffer if they normally need teachers to learn – but on the other hand, they can now simply waltz into the libraries that were previously barred to them.

Also key is the issues of motivation. There are no longer any princesses to save, any kings to ask heroes to rescue them from dark lords, and no wizards to provide quests. PCs can be like kids in a candy shop and do whatever they want – but may also fall prey to apathy. GMs will need to take care to provide some home of a resolution (even if it won’t bring everyone back) and clues to how to get there, clues that can’t simply be handed from an NPC.

I totally want to do this now...urrghh...like I don't have enough ideas floating around in my head!
I just Spread the Dead. Click below to do the same and you could win $5,000! Don’t forget to check out the premiere of The Walking Dead Sunday Oct. 31 at 10/9c on AMC. http://www.amcspreadthedead.com/share?ref=331746679
Shinitenshi
Forum Temptress
Forum Temptress

Favorite System: Pally

PostPosted by Beowulf » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:32 pm

You do have many great ideas, are they all original? I do not think there is a single idea here I would not want to play, and that whole "last good on earth" thing is very intriguing indeed, the "Star Wars X Naruto" seems a little cliche, but would probaby be a lot of fun for a more light hearted game, and the western thing could work with RIFTS, so long as we simply assume that the only things that exist are teh new west (all over the world, or anotehr world if that simplifies things).
Insert witty semi-political attempt at a philisophical emo proverb here.
Beowulf
3rd level Merchant
3rd level Merchant

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:00 pm

Combination of mine, and ones I have read by others (but normally change them up to what I would like), if its a direct c&p, I normally link to it.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:48 am

Another idea based on THIS web comic

Towers- Capture the Flag gone horribly wrong.

What happens when a CTF blood sport game is arranged, started & forgotten? Now fast forward a hundred years.

It's the fifth generation of warriors staring at each others across a blasted landscape. Most weapons are ancient, vehicles are barely held together, and the only reason there is ammo and some replacement gear is because the automated factories keep sending more. The medical transporters barely work, so getting killed may not mean you get revived. For food, you live off the rations that come from the factory, or join a foraging team and hope you don't get jumped by deserters or foragers from the other team.

The game should have ended days after the start at most, but what if the number of points needed was changed? And why wasn't anyone told?

Maybe it isn't flag captures that determines the winner, maybe it's the complete elimination of the other team. Best to wipe them all out just in case, including the deserters and traitors.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:53 am

idea for a D&D game:

Once upon a time, a sorcerer began on the path of Ooze Master (from the first mages supplement for 3rd ed) After getting to the point where he himself had become an Ooze, he developed a Metamagic Feat where he was able to absorb into his body smaller oozes. After getting large enough, he/it was able to subsume the minds and memories of the adventurers who would get caught in his vase Slime Dungeon. After many years he would eventually envelop the planet, and using his vast magical powers to Telekinetically rip the planet from orbit around his sun, he drifted through space, looking for more Sentient life to feed upon. After eventually freezing solid, he/it continued to drift.

The next campaign would start on your standard fantasy world, when a vast new moon appeared in the sky, and frozen Ooze meteors begin to land...
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:08 am

A Long Way from Home: The players are Vikings who's ship was blown far off course. At the start of the game, they've just starved to death in the middle of the ocean (or gone mad and killed each other).

Being so far from home, they wake up in the wrong afterlife. They then have to fight/journey/work their way through various heaven's and hell's, in search of their final resting place.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:12 am

DINOHitler! Rifts or Synnibar Style!

mucking about with things that should not be mucked, humanity has torn open a temporal gateway. This has the (un)pleasant effect of transposing the Cretaceous into the modern age. Prehistoric beasties unite! Then, history is rewritten such that Raptor Adolph and his dinoNazi legions won WWII.

Meanwhile, the time distortion has caused all living things that ever died to rise from the earth. Since time's all messed up, though, the "resurrection" isn't really complete: the dead walk, and they have that most basic instinct, but not much else. Among other things, this means that humanity is caught between living dinosaurs, undead dinosaurs, living Nazis, zombie Nazis and a maniacal undead tyrant who, at this point, is more raptor than man.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Beowulf » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:48 pm

LOL @ "Raptor Adolph and his dinoNazi legions".
Insert witty semi-political attempt at a philisophical emo proverb here.
Beowulf
3rd level Merchant
3rd level Merchant

PostPosted by Lunarmage » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:18 pm

Colonial BtS sounds like fun, don't own any of the books, or I would probably run a game like that..oh well. Time enough for it later I suppose.
Lunarmage
3rd level Merchant
3rd level Merchant

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:30 pm

Lunarmage wrote:Colonial BtS sounds like fun, don't own any of the books, or I would probably run a game like that..oh well. Time enough for it later I suppose.

You have Call of Cthulu? That would work too (though that would mean i would have to get the book) or you could use Tri-Stat... it would be an excellent system to use. :s_thumbsup
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:18 am

Sounds like a few Deadlands games I've been a part of.......though of course civil war era, not colonial.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:23 am

Yea.. to me, it doesnt feel so Deadlands... I really dont know what system it feels, since I dont know of any that are historical/Cthulu-esque
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:32 am

Trail of Cthuhlu covers the 1930's. That popped in my mind first. Some of the World of Darkness stuff is historical(well sort of) horror.

CoC or the BRP corebook would run it well.

The of course you have the flag ship of Colonial games right now. Dogs in the Vineyard.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:42 am

Have you seen DV? I have heard good and crappy things about it, so i am curious...
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:27 am

I have a copy somewhere. Got it as a gift. I read it and was really unimpressed.

Part of the problem was that it's a very boring setting. If I am going to play in a colonial or historical game I want something to really jazz up or make it unique....whether that be fictional or non-fictional in form. DitV fell flat.

Another big problem is I remember it having a weird "betting" or "auctioning" mechanic for task solutions. Similar to ideas in Amber's character creation, only using dice and for almost every conflict in the game. Sounds inventive, but in actual play it's too much like every task is solved with a mini-game.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:34 am

Yuck, that doesnt sound like fun.. I mean, I like crunch for specific things so i dont have to pull it out of my ass all the time(since thats how I normally GM), but I like a nice, simple mechanic (like Tri-Stat *loves!*).

Like, I liked the tables for the force of breath in WS, because I could see how it would be useful every now and then.

But making a game where the mechanic is to be rolled all the time and for everything.. hell, combat in games takes a good chunk of the game time.. I dont want my entire game session to be rolling. :s_no

I think sticking with BTS/CC/TS for the colonial supernatural game would be best.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:39 am

I'll have to re-read it cause wiki kinda is confusing me more than memory but here's what wiki says.

wiki wrote:The game features an unusual form of conflict resolution, where die rolls are used in poker-style bids.

Character's statistics and traits are represented by dice pools. At the start of a conflict, the Gamemaster and other players decide what is at stake, determine which pools are applicable, and those are rolled at that point. The character with the initiative puts forward a "raise" of two dice, while narrating a portion of the conflict which is beneficial to his character's position in the conflict. The opponent must respond by putting forward one or more dice whose total exceeds the total of the dice which were used to raise, or "give" — i.e. lose the conflict. If three or more dice are needed, the opponent suffers "fallout" — a negative outcome to be determined at the end of the conflict. If only one die is needed by the opponent, the attack has been "turned against the attacker" and the die can be reused to raise in the next round. The opponent now begins a round by putting forward two dice which the first character must match, and so on until one player or the other gives. Players may bring in new dice by "escalating" the conflict, from non-physical (discussion) to physical (running away) to brawling and then to gunfighting.

Since conflicts can cover theological debates as well as simple combat, players can find that the outcome of a conflict has changed their character's opinion on a topic, though not necessarily. This can be difficult to accept for inexperienced players and for those who prefer a more Gamist approach.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:49 am

So it works like..

Bob and Jim are fighting, they have a pool of 6 d6's for this fight.
Bob rolls a 3,4,2,5,6,3
Jim rolls a 4,4,2,2,1,3

Bob wins initiative, and puts out his 6 and 5 (total 11) while describing what he does (he doesnt want to lose)
Jim would have to use 4 dice to beat Bob's ante, but since that will mean he automatically gets a negative outcome, he decides his char doesnt really matter to much about fighting bob and gives.

That's kinda... time consuming and complicated... great if you like your games like a chess match, long and excruciating painful, but not me. :s_no
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:02 am

Not to mention this:
Since conflicts can cover theological debates as well as simple combat, players can find that the outcome of a conflict has changed their character's opinion on a topic, though not necessarily. This can be difficult to accept for inexperienced players and for those who prefer a more Gamist approach.

Throws up a huge red flag towards my style of gaming. I don't like mechanics deciding my PC's thoughts or beliefs. They can suggest or "try" to influence, but not decide.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:05 am

Yeah I caught that.

No way! I mean, it's not uncommon to flip a coin to decide something, but to flip the coin ALWAYS? Thats just crazy, and i like to leave that kind of crazy out of my gaming (unless it's the character concept lol)
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Starmage21 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:26 am

General high-powered monkeyness rifts game

OR

Dimensional Rifts game on the "regular" scale.
Starmage21
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Palladium

PostPosted by NulSyn » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:51 am

Lunarmage wrote:Colonial BtS sounds like fun, don't own any of the books, or I would probably run a game like that..oh well. Time enough for it later I suppose.

I got a free copy of "Colonial Gothic" and seeing as we were discussing games that might fit...........it's exactly that. BtS in colonial times. It's a very basic RPG that everything in it has been done somewhere else. But it's light and definitely fits the bill. It's 2d12 roll under system. Very much like a more mundane equivalent to Tristat, at least base mechanics wise, except that there are 5 main stats and a few secondary and the difficulty levels are much higher than tristats.(because of the large skill values and such) Most PCs will only have stats and skills, but it does cover magic and some weirdness, seeing as the supernatural very much exist in Colonial Gothic. It also has rules for Fear and Sanity.

Personally I wouldn't pay much for it. Setting wise, it doesn't offer much that a good colonial/revolutionary war history book and a small imagination couldn't do equally or better. The system is so close to Tristat(minus all the power creation of course) or equal in lightness to say Unisystem....that you might as well use a game that covers more that may already have on your bookshelf. Seeing that Colonial Gothic is $25, or $10 for pdf at IPR, I leave it up to anyone interested if its a good buy.......
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Cyberpaladin85 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:02 pm

Hey, I just thought of something: A regular 3.5 D&D game... except the racial alignments are reversed! Imagine elves leading the forces of the Nine Hells against the freedom loving hobgoblins, or orc and gnoll paladins battling it out with demonically infused dwarf warlocks.

You can't call me evil, I don't believe in morals!
Cyberpaladin85
h4x0r
h4x0r

Favorite System: WEG D6

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:13 pm

Cyberpaladin85 wrote:Hey, I just thought of something: A regular 3.5 D&D game... except the racial alignments are reversed! Imagine elves leading the forces of the Nine Hells against the freedom loving hobgoblins, or orc and gnoll paladins battling it out with demonically infused dwarf warlocks.

What would be better I think, would be to start of a normal 3.5 game.. but with each village they visit, racially, alignments switch, but they are still the same. So they see an elf village in the distance, and they are ecstatic since they just left a Lawful Good Bugbear camp that gave them the willies. They head into town and the elves string them up and show themselves to be as evil as they come.

Then you have a campaign to try and find out what the hell happened to the world.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:17 pm

While not a complete reversal, Warlords of the Accordlands for 3.5 and the CCG was always a cool setting especially the races.

Elves lost their Immortality and reverted to Necromancy to extend their short lifespans, Dwarves are an imbittered, religious zealot type folk having spent generations fighting demons underground making them feel the "surface" races are spoiled. Many see the dwarves as weird and evil as the enemy they fight. There is a large human empire that worships "The Storm", think fantasy equivalent to SW's Empire. Goblins, orcs, hobgolins thru the power of eugenics have bred into a race called the Nothrog, smarter stronger and much more honor bound than your normal goblinoids.

There's a lot more to the setting but you get the idea.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by the_robot » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:01 pm

I would pretty much play in any of these games, Verd!

LOVE the Ooze-Moon D&D idea, and the twisted Narnia one (dibs on the Leftist Revolutionary!)
the_robot
1st Level Peasant
1st Level Peasant

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:38 pm

the_robot wrote:I would pretty much play in any of these games, Verd!

LOVE the Ooze-Moon D&D idea, and the twisted Narnia one (dibs on the Leftist Revolutionary!)

And I want to run them! Hence why I want to do a 1 shot night, since my players are more likely to lynch-mob me if I cancel PF or HU.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:29 am

Okay, here's another one. A GMless type game in which GM authority over the actions of each player is held by two other players. The player to the left represents your "shoulder devil", and presents you with temptations to do nasty, evil things. The player on the right represents your "shoulder angel", and presents you with opportunities to help people and right wrongs. There would be some sort of resource-based mechanic dictating when and how they can throw new situations at you. The "shoulder devil" player would sweeten the deal by offering some sort of metagame currency in exchange for committing evil acts (best represented pennies or some other sort of real money, of course - money being the root of all evil), while the "shoulder angel" player would encourage virtue by...

... something. I haven't really thought it through that far.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:20 am

Star Wars, George RR Martin style (kinda, I think, I hope?)

"It is an ironic fact that by all indications Emperor Lakshmanan was to propose a truce and amnesty after the Battle of Seven Suns, as an alternative to having the Grand Fleet lay siege to the last few planets of the rebellion."

"The ridiculous faked 'cockpit footage' of the system fighter flying through the ISS Galactic Spiral and launching a missile directly to the reactors is still an effective propaganda tool, along with the claim that the pilot's use of "Holy Force" was responsible. Analysis indicates that an internal nuclear explosion was the cause of the destruction, most likely a 1 megaton demolition charge."

"With the death of the Emperor, the moribund rebellion has revived with a vengeance: nearly a third of the Empire is under the rule of the Holy Republic and its "Virtue Knights". Political and religious opression is widespread: There have been reports of atrocities such as mass executions of intelligencia and witchunts for "Demonic Force" users."

"A major problem is the splintering of the high nobility. Three sectors have left the Imperium to look after their own defenses; four more are preparing to go to war to claim the Imperial throne. The remaining High Noble families are more interested in the power struggle than looking to the safety of the Empire."

"The damage to the Empire is staggering: entire planets are being devastated, millions of people are dying daily, and the interstellar economy is collapsing."

"A winter is coming my Liege, one that will stretch across the entire Empire. The question is, what will your course be?"

- Excerpts from the intelligence summary of Vec Sichida, to Archduke Loran DeRioh, shortly before the Archduke’s ascension to the Imperial Regency.

...too bad I am not good with the Star Wars universe so I would suck at running this.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:27 am

Steampunk idea...

The Forge of Hephesteous-

And Lo, the people of Greece raised their voices in praise!

"Mighty Zeus! King of all the Gods, we thank you for your gift of the mighty Thunderbolt. For a year, our finest copper smiths have followed the plans you gave us and we have made the Thunderbolt for ourselves. With this mighty magic, we can now defeat our enemies!

Now, if you don't mind... could you please make us 40 feet tall? We really can't lift anything as big as that thunderbolt, you know. Not complaining about this or anything... we're just saying...

The ancient gods of Greece have shared some of their magic with their mortal followers. Sort of.

But, when Divine providence lacks, mortal ingenuity must suffice. Since the Greeks couldn't lift the Thunderbolt, they made something that could.

Bronze-age, steampunk battle mechs using the might and magic of the Greek Gods during the Age of Heros! Can you stand with your Aegean brothers in your Phalanx-class mecha against the onslaught of the Persian wardroids or the soulless automatons of Rome's army? Will the slaves run out of wood to power the steam engine deep in the heart of the mecha before then? When will the other Greek City States inevitably start blasting each other?
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:30 am

Hmm.. how about a pre-Post Appocalypse. Set in the 1920's, a few years or so after some big ass bomb went off.
I'm picturing wandering bluesmen gunning down rotters and taking down only partially decomposed and still thinking gangsters inbetween sipping from a jug of moonshine in an abandoned speakeasy - as the radiation has seeped into the ground and the people over the years, it's collected in the dust and the water and now the contaminated booze is the only thing that can feed the rads and keep the decay at bay.

You have to fight partially zombified gangsters and moonshiners over contaminated bootleg whiskey that's keeping you from becoming a zombie yourself, all while fighting the braindead stenches outside. You can't hole up. You HAVE to move from town to town, only to see people clinging on to life but without the booze (being controlled by those with guns and men at their disposable)...towns not decaying from some kind of drought but women and children literally decaying because they can't get their hands on a sip of the 'shine.

The zombies aren't the bad part, the worst towns you ever been to was where everyone was alive...but not for long.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:53 am

I have an idea where vampires are known by the human populace, not as evil beings, but ones who help. They work in our hospitals, getting rid of blood-borne diseases, getting rid of our criminals humanely (for their bite causes no pain as well as pleasure. Families hire a vampire to help end a loved one's life instead of just pulling the plug on them, for vampires can tell how cognitive their victims are when they feed. Diseases that threaten to cause major harm are gotten rid of almost as fast as they are discovered since vampires cannot get sick.

There is one problem with them workin in places where the most needy of humans are... Resistance Fighters.

Resistance Fighters, or Vampire hunters, or whatever you wish to call them, hunt vampires. Not due to some sort of false belief that Vampires are evil and killers, but because they know the truth.... that the Earth used to be full of magic, and Vampires sucked it dry. With each Vampire death, a little bit of magic comes back to the world, ready to be used by mages and other magic users for their works and arts. Unfortunatly, with each death of a Vampire means another new vampire is able to be created, which soon depletes the magic that was once had.

There is an uneasy war going on, under the guise of Terrorism, Anti-Abortion, Religion, you name it. The Resistance Fighters want all fo the vampires dead once and for all, but its hard when their next meal can be turned into a vampire just as easily.

Oh, and do the vampires fight back? Not Particularly. They are the so called "Good" guys... they let the governments of the world try to rid the hunters.

Alright, this one blows.. I can't decide how I want it, but the premise is that Vampires are humanitarians, but there are those out tehre who wish to see them all dead, even though the proof shows that Vampires are good and helpful beings.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:03 am

Okay, here's a really random one:

After untold eons, the stars are finally right, and the blasphemous Elder Gods awaken from their deathless slumber to usher in a new Dark Age...

... only to discover that they're several thousand years too late. Humanity has long since achieved faster-than-light travel and spread across the galaxy to establish an enlightened interstellar federation, leaving the Earth behind to become a quaint backwater and planetary tourist attraction. Sure, they could still conquer the world - their might is more than a match for contemporary military technology, even after millennia of advancement, and they have that Immortality-with-a-capital-I thing going - but their influence is strictly local in scale (in interplanetary terms, anyway), and they have no intrinsic ability to bridge the void between the stars. For most of the far-flung human race, their new reign of terror would be lucky to make third page in the daily news - just another planetary cataclysm amid millions of inhabited worlds. Ultimately, humanity has outgrown such petty fears: for all their incomprehensible, mind-bending power, the Elder Gods have become irrelevant.

The player characters would, of course, be the aforementioned Elder Gods. Picture Cthulhu, Hastur, and Nyarlathotep trying to figure out what to do with their unholy existences now that they've missed the boat on the whole "devour and destroy humanity" gig.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:13 am

A grim and Gritty campaign setting taking place in the 1400s.
In a secluded monestary somewhere in the pyrenees, the abbot and some of the monks have begun strange botanical experiments, eventually creating giant carnivorous plants... strangle vines, vampire blooms, etcetera.
The trouble is that the plants need to eat, and so the monks come down to the villiages and kidnap people, dragging them back to the monestary to feed to the plants.
This is where the players come in. They are villiagers or whatnot that have stumbled upon the evil schemes.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:14 am

System: Hunter: the Reckoning, or BTS 1ed (once I get a hnad on it) or CoC or something dark and mysterious
A few recently imbued hunters (or possibly not imbued yet with the imbuing happening IC. Like I said, details are fuzzy) join a local [insert game here] LARP. Things seem normal at first, blah blah blah, stuff happens. Turns out, the LARP is actually being used by some sort of monster (a mage or changeling seems the most likely, though any of the various splats could work) to recruit and train followers for presumably nefarious purposes. Or maybe the "monster" in question just likes hanging out with LARPers because it can talk shop, tell people about itself, and the only lie it has to tell is to occasionally "clarify" that they're talking about in character stuff.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:17 am

I always wanted to run a game from the perspective of Native Americans on the eve of European discovery, whether they be Caddoans in what would become Texas meeting Spaniards for the first time, or Naragansetts meeting Cabot, or Arawaks meeting Columbus, or possibly even Beothuk or Micmacs meeting Vikings...

I think I'd run the first few sessions purely Native, building up relationships and involving the characters in politics, warfare and trade, so that when the Europeans arrived it would be a huge, game-shattering impact.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:24 am

:s_biggrin :s_biggrin :s_biggrin

PCs are supernaturally attuned PIs, each has had some sort of contact with the things that go bump in the night and have been... changed... by the experience, and so they get the cases that normal PIs can't deal with. maybe they are part of a team like the gang on Angel, or they were each contacted individually by different clients, but it soon is revealed that they are all working on the same case

the client(s) is (are) concerned parents who have recently had to have their teenage daughters sent to a sanitarium and there is little to no chance of them ever being released. Something has caused them to go mad. the PCs are hired to discover this and see to it that justice is done. (vigilante or otherwise, they aren't picky)

most of the play is built up to the big reveal. which is that many years ago, 3 men case a ritual. These men were Larry Flynt, Hugh Hefner, and Bob Guccione. their ritual was designed to help prevent any competition to their magazines. any women whose nude photos were nationally distributed and not in their magazines would lose a bit of herself each time her image was witnessed by 1000 people. This bit of self would be split evenly by these men and confer good health and longevity. (this is why Larry survived the assassination attempt, and Hef is still Hef)

What these men never counted on was the internet. the ritual was never meant to to include the world wide web, but they connected the magazine and the magazine web-sites, and now the ritual has spread across the world like a virus.

Hef was the one of the 3 who was trying to prevent the damage from spreading, by actively trying to get more and more women to pose for Playboy, (this is why the Cyber-girl and girl next door series were started) and the other 2 were, probably, getting drunk off of the power they were gaining. Larry is up and walking, etc...
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:06 am

The world is littered with posers. Old Man Jenkins will never learn that when he pretends to be a ghost in order to cover his scheme to smuggle contraband cider under the very noses of the unwary law, he attracts the attention of the real things that go bump in the night.

You and your elite band of misfits are one of the few who know the truth ... that hoaxes are the most dangerous folly of the human race, endangering us all by rousing Those That Slumber. In your tricked out black-ops van you travel from locale to locale, searching for signs of the supernatural. If it is (as it usually turns out to be) fakery then you bring the perpetrators to horrific, final justice. If it's actually the Things From Beyond ... well, you've been known to handle that too. You can prove it. You've got the scars.

Scooby-punk. Jinkies.

I have an image in my head of four 20-somethings messed up players with a huge dog with very sharp teath

a goth chick with glasses
a former jock with bad leg
the former high school prom queen turned into part vamp chow
the stoner mage that saw the truth

messed up and mosty on number of piankillers and worse to get thought the long dark of night
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:45 pm

Yeah those last few remind me of Buffy/Angel Unisystem adventures.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Cyberpaladin85 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Heh, I jsut thought up of something that could just be wicked awesome... in more ways than one! Imagine a Germany that had a fascist war hero with the charisma of Hitler, but less than half the hate, and more than double the competence, swinging a deal with the Weilhiem goverment, creating "Juggernaut" Germany (as opposed to Nazi Germany). Also imagine the biologist version of Tesla having discovered the secrets of genetic engineering, advancing the science by over a century in a single decade. Take to the skies to advance a Reich to last an eternity as a genetically modified animal or transhuman. I call it: Luttewaffur!

You can't call me evil, I don't believe in morals!
Cyberpaladin85
h4x0r
h4x0r

Favorite System: WEG D6

Next

Return to Game Recruiting