Game ideas that you want to play or GM

Have a game you want to run? Sending out feelers to see if there is any interest? Go ahead, ask and find players here.

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

Re: Game ideas that you want to play or GM

PostPosted by dakota » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:44 pm

verdilak wrote:DINOHitler! Rifts or Synnibar Style!

mucking about with things that should not be mucked, humanity has torn open a temporal gateway. This has the (un)pleasant effect of transposing the Cretaceous into the modern age. Prehistoric beasties unite! Then, history is rewritten such that Raptor Adolph and his dinoNazi legions won WWII.

Meanwhile, the time distortion has caused all living things that ever died to rise from the earth. Since time's all messed up, though, the "resurrection" isn't really complete: the dead walk, and they have that most basic instinct, but not much else. Among other things, this means that humanity is caught between living dinosaurs, undead dinosaurs, living Nazis, zombie Nazis and a maniacal undead tyrant who, at this point, is more raptor than man.

You read Wierd War comics as a child, didn't you?

Before I heard DR was coming out, was considering a survival/horro HU 'I Am Legend/28 Days' type game where only superheroes aren't affected by the plagues that turned the people of the world into undead
Some people are like Slinkys. Not really good for anything, but every once in a while they're fun to push down the stairs.
dakota
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: pbp, anything Palladium

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:42 pm

Actually, i never read Weird War. The only comics I ever read were X-Men.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

PostPosted by dakota » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:54 pm

Too bad, they had an issue along those lines. Of course hitler wasn't a T-rex.
Some people are like Slinkys. Not really good for anything, but every once in a while they're fun to push down the stairs.
dakota
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: pbp, anything Palladium

PostPosted by PhishStyx » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:09 pm

Cyberpaladin85 wrote:Heh, I jsut thought up of something that could just be wicked awesome... in more ways than one! Imagine a Germany that had a fascist war hero with the charisma of Hitler, but less than half the hate, and more than double the competence, swinging a deal with the Weilhiem goverment, creating "Juggernaut" Germany (as opposed to Nazi Germany). Also imagine the biologist version of Tesla having discovered the secrets of genetic engineering, advancing the science by over a century in a single decade. Take to the skies to advance a Reich to last an eternity as a genetically modified animal or transhuman. I call it: Luttewaffur!

So a post-modernist pulp game? I'm thinking d8 level Tri-stat or perhaps Savage Worlds. If I owned Spirit of the Century, I might be thinking that too.
"Hail to the Burger King, Baby! Ook! Ook!" -Anastas

"That's not school. That's Schoolhouse Rock." - Sam Winchester

"Going to war over religion is basically killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend." - Richard Jeni

USS Lynx | Currently Running: Shadowrun with Online Game Support
PhishStyx
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Classic Unisystem (WitchCraft)

PostPosted by NulSyn » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:45 pm

Yeah SW, SotC, or even Forbidden Kingdoms for d20 would be my vote.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Cyberpaladin85 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:49 pm

PhishStyx wrote:
Cyberpaladin85 wrote:Heh, I jsut thought up of something that could just be wicked awesome... in more ways than one! Imagine a Germany that had a fascist war hero with the charisma of Hitler, but less than half the hate, and more than double the competence, swinging a deal with the Weilhiem goverment, creating "Juggernaut" Germany (as opposed to Nazi Germany). Also imagine the biologist version of Tesla having discovered the secrets of genetic engineering, advancing the science by over a century in a single decade. Take to the skies to advance a Reich to last an eternity as a genetically modified animal or transhuman. I call it: Luttewaffur!

So a post-modernist pulp game? I'm thinking d8 level Tri-stat or perhaps Savage Worlds. If I owned Spirit of the Century, I might be thinking that too.

Hmm, I will look into that, after I get my own RPG idea done.

You can't call me evil, I don't believe in morals!
Cyberpaladin85
h4x0r
h4x0r

Favorite System: WEG D6

PostPosted by Writers Block » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:26 am

I played in one I would love to ressurect the idea of many years ago. We all played sort of "superhero" types in a medieval fantasy (Rolemaster) setting. Pretty cool

Most of us went for fairly recognizable archetypes; my own character was sort of a cross between Batman and Zorro...with medieval non-magical variants of the gadgets (some still in design stages or in "prototype" phase) and skills. Even had the foppish, philanthropic alter ego that NO ONE would suspect was the masked man striking fear into the heart of evil....
Writers Block
2nd level Commoner
2nd level Commoner

Favorite System: Palladium/AD&D/D6 SW

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:53 am

Hmm.. what about a setting for a game that is much like the Fringe tv show and the others that are similar to it. Call it BTS, or Bureau of Theoretical Sciences. All sorts of crazy shit going down and the players are just regular people.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:31 am

I'd really like to play/run a Demigod-type game based off the Percy Jackson books. In my opinion, they are a hell of a setting, MUCH better that what WW did with Psion (seriously? A whole bunch of gods playing poker in Vegas?). And it could be easily done with Tri-Stat.

Also, I'd love to run/play a modern espionage/spy game in the same vein as Chuck, and with all the damn Intersects out there throughout the serious, having a character that was an Intersect would be rather cool.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:58 am

I want to play/run in an interesting post-apoc/dystopian setting that uses the nWoD lines and rules. McWoD is interesting, but A) Does not use nWoD rules, B) Does not use most the lines, and C) Seems like it was hurried in the fluff dept.

Interesting enough there is a guy on RPGnet that has been mirroring my own thoughts and is posting a lot of ideas I would use.

1. Vampires- have become major overlords of cities, with their Ghouls being the major officers of their government and law enforcement. Many people live under them willingly.
2. Werewolf- spirit involvement has upped because of WW3. They are often underground heroes.
3. Mages- The bad group (Seers of the Throne, I think) is one of the biggest instigators of WW3, they didn't realize how much other forces would gain power, not just them.
4. Prometheans- are still roamers, who easily survive wasteland and nuclear hotspot. They have become the unofficial Pony Express and are known to be good means of information.
5. Changeling- The fae world is even closer than ever, including them moving into are world are an even higher scale. Changelings activity therefor is significantly increased trying to stop them.
6. Hunter- Same as always. Where there are supernaturals, there are empowered groups of humans trying to stop them, difference now is that Hunters are accepting of some groups of supernatural, instead of an attitude of they are all bad.
7. Geist- Not much yet on these, though the amount of spirits and dead has skyrocketed due to WW3.

Waiting on books to clean up the ideas. Reading them may inspire lots of changes, or clear up wrong impressions.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:14 am

NulSyn wrote:I want to play/run in an interesting post-apoc/dystopian setting that uses the nWoD lines and rules. McWoD is interesting, but A) Does not use nWoD rules, B) Does not use most the lines, and C) Seems like it was hurried in the fluff dept.

Interesting enough there is a guy on RPGnet that has been mirroring my own thoughts and is posting a lot of ideas I would use.

1. Vampires- have become major overlords of cities, with their Ghouls being the major officers of their government and law enforcement. Many people live under them willingly.
2. Werewolf- spirit involvement has upped because of WW3. They are often underground heroes.
3. Mages- The bad group (Seers of the Throne, I think) is one of the biggest instigators of WW3, they didn't realize how much other forces would gain power, not just them.
4. Prometheans- are still roamers, who easily survive wasteland and nuclear hotspot. They have become the unofficial Pony Express and are known to be good means of information.
5. Changeling- The fae world is even closer than ever, including them moving into are world are an even higher scale. Changelings activity therefor is significantly increased trying to stop them.
6. Hunter- Same as always. Where there are supernaturals, there are empowered groups of humans trying to stop them, difference now is that Hunters are accepting of some groups of supernatural, instead of an attitude of they are all bad.
7. Geist- Not much yet on these, though the amount of spirits and dead has skyrocketed due to WW3.

Waiting on books to clean up the ideas. Reading them may inspire lots of changes, or clear up wrong impressions.

Sounds like an interesting setting for a post-apoc game.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 pm

This could be rather fun as hell to play.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Zamion » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Id like to play something like cyberpunk/shadowrun

a cool idea for a diffrent type of game though would be that like a group of pc's are the aliens sent to earth to take it over, instead of the preventing the overtaking were helping and attempting to mastermind it , would work as a comical one or dark type game but would be pretty fun.
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

Favorite System: ahhhh shadowrun

PostPosted by Rayven » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:03 am

Somebody run a CthulhuTech game. Please?
STARE INTO MY EYES FOREVER
LET ME TAKE YOU IN MY ARMS
DANCE WITH ME OUT IN THE GARDEN
WHERE TOMORROW NEVER COMES
FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARKNESS
WHERE THE NIGHTMARES NEVER FADE
WHISPER DREAMS MY FALLEN ANGEL
FROM WHICH YOU WILL NEVER WAKE
Religion starts wars. Spirituality ends them

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

Location: Cubicle greyness...I'm surrounded by false intelligence!
Favorite System: Any

PostPosted by Zamion » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:59 pm

you?
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by Rayven » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:54 am

No. I want to be a player, hence why I was asking someone else to do it.

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by Zamion » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:22 pm

i want to be a player in a game too but it never seems to work out well on my days off
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by Pyriel » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:10 am

I'd like to see an espionage game at some point... and by espionage, i don't mean merely 'covert ops' -which i assume has been done lots of times actualy; I'm talking full espionage, conspiracy theories, cloak & dagger routine, lies & betrayal stuff. The players could be trying to hide what they do from their friends & relatives, or even be *part* of a conspiracy as opposed to agents trying to uncloak one...This isnt just restricted to 'playing villains'; in such an "intelligence business" idea, most conspiracies actualy start with noble intentions and start getting corrupted somewhere along the way...(like Series Archer per se)
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Classic, but Cinematic is cool.

PostPosted by Zamion » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Id like to see a game of ninja's and samurias and shit with no magic and no psionics. in fuedal japan, and no charecters based off animie charecters.....and no chi powers yeah that what i wanna see
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Pyriel wrote:I'd like to see an espionage game at some point... and by espionage, i don't mean merely 'covert ops' -which i assume has been done lots of times actualy; I'm talking full espionage, conspiracy theories, cloak & dagger routine, lies & betrayal stuff. The players could be trying to hide what they do from their friends & relatives, or even be *part* of a conspiracy as opposed to agents trying to uncloak one...This isnt just restricted to 'playing villains'; in such an "intelligence business" idea, most conspiracies actualy start with noble intentions and start getting corrupted somewhere along the way...(like Series Archer per se)

I think this one might be better of played through a play-by-post actually, that way there is all the time in the world to set up elaborate lies and whatnot.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Pyriel » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:17 pm

@verd: i hadn't thought of PbP as a method, but that is true actually... especialy if one of the players wants to rp an agent going in lots of undercover assignments, its the only way it would work. not my thing, said character type, but since in Spycraft game (for example) theres a whole class based on it, i'd think its an important element to take into consideration.
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by wherditgo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:25 am

I was curious if anyone ever played any test games of API?? I was really interested to see how it played.
"I am wearing a vest. If I had no arms it would be a jacket." - Mitch Hedberg
wherditgo
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by NulSyn » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:37 am

wherditgo wrote:I was curious if anyone ever played any test games of API?? I was really interested to see how it played.

I did some test combats and rolls with my brother when I first got it. Its smooth in every way except the combat ticks. While it added a lot of choice and depth, it slowed down things quite a bit (probably would speed up a lot once everyone was use to it.) Trying to play it online with the current tick system would add quite a bit of bookkeeping on the GM too.

Other than that it seemed all good. :s_thumbsup
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat May 15, 2010 3:46 am

From this thread since it doesnt seem like it will happen any time soon: topic4251.html

I think it would be fun for a "round robin" sort of styled game, where each person makes a character.. and a villian. We roll a dice to see who plays the villian, i.e. GM's it, at the end of each "episode". As each villian is jailed or killed, a new one is made, and after some time in game, the jailed ones get thrown back into the mix to see if any breaks out and so on. I think the characters would be a mix of batman-esque up to iron man-esque to fight said villians.

Of course, if someone has a really good plot and they want to run it because it would fit with the end of the previous plot, no need to roll. This way there isn't just one GM, and so that the villians are ran differently.

I would say the swap happened when the villian got carted off to jail or died, and that any background notes, like what various seedy underbelly elements were up to should be handed over to the next gm

See, here is what i see:

The players (however many) make a hero and a villian (50 and 75 points, respectivly lets say).
If there are 5 players, there should be 5 heroes and 5 villians at the start.
The first session would be the players coming up with their own setting, such as one person starts it off and the others riff off of it. Example:

#1: So, we start in new York City...
#2: And none of that "dark and stormy night" bullshit. It's summer, bright blue skies, sun is shining...
#3: and the crime rate is through the roof. Cops are getting killed in the streets and no one is doing anything about it...
#4: Matter of fact, the criminals run the damn city. The only cops that are getting shot are the honest ones...
#5: or the corrupt ones who are fighting for their crimelord masters. In three weeks, a member of the largest crime syndicate in NYC is going to get appointed as Governor of our fair city and the people are too afraid to do anything...
And so on. The Characters meet up, the players help each other to create the scenery (which is just fluff this first session).
At the end, we list out the villains by name and attach a number to them and one person rolls, in this case it would be a d5.
Which ever villain is rolled means that player is the GM until the villain is killed or thrown in jail.
Then there are 4 villains left and a d4 is rolled. During the new GM’s mini-campaign, the player whose villain was taken out makes a new one and gets XP for his/her new villain based on how many times his/her villain beat up the heroes, killed one, did massive damage, ect. The XP gained for all of this is split, any way the player wants, between his fist villain (if it was jailed and not killed) and his new one.
After a number of different GM’s up at the bat, jailed villains are thrown back into the mix, giving a large base of villains to choose from to signify that they broke out of jail or whatever.

You know, basically the Kick-Ass movie where Kick-Ass would be more akin to a starting player and Big Daddy and the girl would be akin to characters with a few sessions under their belt.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat May 15, 2010 3:47 am

From this thread: topic4309.html

Basically, utilize the world of Percy Jackson.

Now, Percy Jackson is a world where the Greek myths all are real, but when mortals leave the vicinity of a god or monster, they rationalize it (such as, for example, if a Minotaur is tearing through downtown, after the creature is defeated or leaves the area, people will stop their screaming and believe they just saw a big gut who was a Raiders or Vikings fan or something). Children of the gods have specific powers based on what their parents are known for. Monsters, when they are killed, leave something behind and will reform at a later date: Maybe a few hours, days, months, or even years.

Now, my idea is something very similar. I would like to tweak the way the Demigods powers work, make it less "Every child of such-and-such god has this" and more able to pick and choose among a range of powers if they all sit within the same theme of their parents. Also, It doesn't have to be based on Greek mythology. It could just as easily be Japanese, Celtic, African, Native American, and so on. Actually, Native American could be rather interesting, except there is not much room in their mythologies for monsters and so on. So i would prefer to run a setting where such monsters do exist.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat May 15, 2010 3:52 am

How about a game based on the tv show Chuck. I really like the concept of an Intersect, either as one or more of the players, as an NPC, or as a looming threat that the characters have to keep from getting activated into the brains of spys. I know that it is mainly the chemistry of the actors that makes the show, but it is very evocative to me in what a spy is: Pretending to be someone else, even if that someone else is themself as in the case of Chuck.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat May 15, 2010 3:56 am

Zamion wrote:Id like to see a game of ninja's and samurias and shit with no magic and no psionics. in fuedal japan, and no charecters based off animie charecters.....and no chi powers yeah that what i wanna see

I'd be cool with this, just how historically acurate do you want to be? 100%?
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Pyriel » Sat May 15, 2010 4:22 am

I am toying with the idea of a Tristat-based Resident Evil game. It will not be based on any of the movies, as they change the scenario too much.
it is not something to be done this or next week, as i need to figure out lots of stuff about it.

For those of you that don't know what resident evil is:
it is a game series, in which a pharmaceutical company called Umbrella uses biotechnology for its interests-usualy bio-weapons to sell.
It has created 3 main viruses:

T-virus(aka Zombie virus): the most common virus, this mutates the victim to a B.O.W., a Bio-Organic Weapon, usualy a zombie or other type of mindless monster.
-some variants(with important differences) include: T-Veronica Virus, NE-T virus(aka Tyrant virus), T-Cameron virus, T-JCCC203.

G-virus (aka 'advanced progenitor' virus): this virus reacts to the victim's grave injuries, creating further mutations that will benefit the victim's survivability, though with horrible deformities too, and possible lack of intelligence.
-notable variant: Wesker virus (aka supersoldier virus): very rare virus, only two individuals have been spotted with it. basicaly, kick arse-matrix-style.

Uroboros virus: a virus that fuses with hosts containing 'superior DNA'.

there are also bio-parasites, corrupt officials, mercenaries wanting to steal bio-weapons, as well as monsters(even shapechanging ones like Alexia) and zombies, lots of zombies.

I am still working on the campaign, but i'd like to know how people feel for it as an RPG campaign setting.
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by Zamion » Sun May 16, 2010 2:36 am

verdilak wrote:
Zamion wrote:Id like to see a game of ninja's and samurias and shit with no magic and no psionics. in fuedal japan, and no charecters based off animie charecters.....and no chi powers yeah that what i wanna see

ahhh 80% to 85%......
let weman be allowed to be more than objects, pre firearms , people heal faster than the real world.
everything else as realstic as possible
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun May 16, 2010 2:50 am

Zamion wrote:
verdilak wrote:

ahhh 80% to 85%......
let weman be allowed to be more than objects, pre firearms , people heal faster than the real world.
everything else as realstic as possible

Would have to make sure everyone was down with the specifics of the period... but it could be done as well as being fun as shit.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Zamion » Sun May 16, 2010 2:57 am

yeah get my ninja hang glider out and drop pestilence over the walls for good measure.....

Also id like to play a game that was sett in SM stirlings dies the fire universe it would rock my socks off
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:21 am

Not steampunk, but Tesla-punk Ghostbusters, call it the S.T.E.A.M. (Supernatural and Troublesome Ectoplasmic Apparitional Management) League.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Having ran a game of Hunter for my last RL group, my post-apoc nWoD idea led my thoughts into a different direction:

Post-Apocalyptic Dresden Files using the new Dresden RPG. Mortals are no longer ignorant. The Champions of God fight to re-store morality to the world. The Fae now find it easier to make pacts and deals with the mortals so greedy and desperate, incidently upping the Changeling population. The Fae Emissaries are now into open and public politics. More people dabble in minor practices of magic, do to the occult being more believable with the acceptance of supernatural races. Lycanthropes still roam in pack mentality, some doing good some taking advantage of others. The White Council has went super Mage supremacists and have really began to hunt outcast mages and gone to war with the Fae. Most cities are now under the control of the Red Court and their governments. Much of the White and Black Courts are either lackeys for the Red or Rogue in the wilds.

or something like that.. :s_biggrin
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:48 pm

NulSyn wrote:Having ran a game of Hunter for my last RL group, my post-apoc nWoD idea led my thoughts into a different direction:

Post-Apocalyptic Dresden Files using the new Dresden RPG. Mortals are no longer ignorant. The Champions of God fight to re-store morality to the world. The Fae now find it easier to make pacts and deals with the mortals so greedy and desperate, incidently upping the Changeling population. The Fae Emissaries are now into open and public politics. More people dabble in minor practices of magic, do to the occult being more believable with the acceptance of supernatural races. Lycanthropes still roam in pack mentality, some doing good some taking advantage of others. The White Council has went super Mage supremacists and have really began to hunt outcast mages and gone to war with the Fae. Most cities are now under the control of the Red Court and their governments. Much of the White and Black Courts are either lackeys for the Red or Rogue in the wilds.

or something like that.. :s_biggrin

I must have missed this before but I would totally play this. :s_thumbsup
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Throol » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:34 am

Since I finally watched The Day After (parents wouldn't let me when it originally aired), I've been thinking of an interesting post-apocalyptic 'zombie' setting. The bombs have dropped, many died instantly, but many are suffering from radiation poisoning, losing hair, flesh is falling off, slowly dying. Domestic animals have died off, and the food stores have been used up. For those left behind, most of which have radiation sickness, sparse hair, teeth falling out, flesh breaking down, the main food source available is other human beings. Living human beings, unlike corpses, aren't rotten, so won't make them sick. Those few humans who do not have radiation sickness have to fight off the near-mindless, starved souls with radiation sickness who attack them for their meat, while at the same time, they are trying to find food themselves, and deciding whether to go for human flesh or take a higher road to survival.
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: Earthdawn

PostPosted by Throol » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:47 pm

I'd love to play Pathfinder, or the new Deathwatch game
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:23 pm

Throol wrote:I'd love to play Pathfinder, or the new Deathwatch game

Isn't Pathfinder just a system? Or is there a setting that goes along with it?
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:47 pm

verdilak wrote:

There's a official setting detailed in its own book. What I have seen of it seemed very generic so I never got into it much. But yes there is an official Pathfinder setting.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:05 pm

NulSyn wrote:
verdilak wrote:

There's a official setting detailed in its own book. What I have seen of it seemed very generic so I never got into it much. But yes there is an official Pathfinder setting.

Oh, so just a generic fantasy setting...

Throol, what makes the PF setting interesting for you?
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:23 pm

Golarion, that's the name of the setting. From my (very quick) read through it seemed like it was trying to make a setting where everything ever made for D&D could be crammed in it somewhere, or already was crammed in there.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:15 pm

NulSyn wrote:Golarion, that's the name of the setting. From my (very quick) read through it seemed like it was trying to make a setting where everything ever made for D&D could be crammed in it somewhere, or already was crammed in there.

Bleck. Does not sound very fun if it was shoehorned in such a way.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Rayven » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:33 am

verdilak wrote:
NulSyn wrote:Golarion, that's the name of the setting. From my (very quick) read through it seemed like it was trying to make a setting where everything ever made for D&D could be crammed in it somewhere, or already was crammed in there.

Bleck. Does not sound very fun if it was shoehorned in such a way.

All that Pathfinder is, in essence, is Paizo trying to keep D&D 3.x alive, so it's inherently the standard D&D setting.

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by Throol » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:55 pm

It's not the setting, so much as the system and the feel of the races and classes. Things are far more streamlined than 3.5 was, and the races have a different flavor. And the classes are more specialized and unique than they were before. You can really make some interesting characters with this system.

As far as setting goes, I'm good with most high fantasy settings. Like the others said, no setting comes with Pathfinder, though you can buy additional books if you want the setting they made, with the same gods, etc. as the core book. So high fantasy of most sorts would work, high magic, heroes are good, the opposition is bad, not dark fantasy or low magic.
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by mjrbatou » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:17 pm

verdilak wrote:From this thread since it doesnt seem like it will happen any time soon: topic4251.html

I think it would be fun for a "round robin" sort of styled game, where each person makes a character.. and a villian. We roll a dice to see who plays the villian, i.e. GM's it, at the end of each "episode". As each villian is jailed or killed, a new one is made, and after some time in game, the jailed ones get thrown back into the mix to see if any breaks out and so on. I think the characters would be a mix of batman-esque up to iron man-esque to fight said villians.

Of course, if someone has a really good plot and they want to run it because it would fit with the end of the previous plot, no need to roll. This way there isn't just one GM, and so that the villians are ran differently.

I would say the swap happened when the villian got carted off to jail or died, and that any background notes, like what various seedy underbelly elements were up to should be handed over to the next gm

See, here is what i see:

The players (however many) make a hero and a villian (50 and 75 points, respectivly lets say).
If there are 5 players, there should be 5 heroes and 5 villians at the start.
The first session would be the players coming up with their own setting, such as one person starts it off and the others riff off of it. Example:

#1: So, we start in new York City...
#2: And none of that "dark and stormy night" bullshit. It's summer, bright blue skies, sun is shining...
#3: and the crime rate is through the roof. Cops are getting killed in the streets and no one is doing anything about it...
#4: Matter of fact, the criminals run the damn city. The only cops that are getting shot are the honest ones...
#5: or the corrupt ones who are fighting for their crimelord masters. In three weeks, a member of the largest crime syndicate in NYC is going to get appointed as Governor of our fair city and the people are too afraid to do anything...
And so on. The Characters meet up, the players help each other to create the scenery (which is just fluff this first session).
At the end, we list out the villains by name and attach a number to them and one person rolls, in this case it would be a d5.
Which ever villain is rolled means that player is the GM until the villain is killed or thrown in jail.
Then there are 4 villains left and a d4 is rolled. During the new GM’s mini-campaign, the player whose villain was taken out makes a new one and gets XP for his/her new villain based on how many times his/her villain beat up the heroes, killed one, did massive damage, ect. The XP gained for all of this is split, any way the player wants, between his fist villain (if it was jailed and not killed) and his new one.
After a number of different GM’s up at the bat, jailed villains are thrown back into the mix, giving a large base of villains to choose from to signify that they broke out of jail or whatever.

You know, basically the Kick-Ass movie where Kick-Ass would be more akin to a starting player and Big Daddy and the girl would be akin to characters with a few sessions under their belt.

:s_thumbsup , vote 1 for this
mjrbatou
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: 3.5 without munchkins

PostPosted by Throol » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:12 am

I like this, though wouldn't want to be limited to batman-esque to iron-man-esque for heroes.
Throol
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:14 am

I'd play this. "Ok, we now need to find a brain and some courage before we can attempt to get Dorothy home..."
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:48 am

I'd like to run/play a game about dead rockstarts, spending their afterlife trying to attain entry into Rockhalla. The music that you play creates any number of powers and abilities, but only if they are based on songs that you recorded while alive. There is more, but I can't think of how to write it out at the moment.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:29 am

I'd also like to do a fantasy based on the Arthurian legends. Knights, chivalry, glory, all that jazz with giants, sorceresses, and magic items aplenty. And as with the majority of the stories, combat would play second, or even third fiddle to roleplaying.

Something else that I was thinking about with this sort of game is to have a rotating cast. By which I mean that all the knights are stated up by the players and GM as a group with the players each picking a knight to play in any given new story arch (or perhaps that GM might roll randomly to see which knights are available to undertake the given quest). This would keep it in line with the sort of stories of the source material basis for the setting.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Previous

Return to Game Recruiting