PWN2OWN is under way

Have a computer problem? Want to show off your rig? Lets hear it!

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

PWN2OWN is under way

PostPosted by NulSyn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:46 pm

The new PWN2OWN is under way and within the first day IE8, Firefox 3.6, Safari and the iPhone have all fallen.

That leaves Chrome, Blackberry, Android, and Symbian.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361810,00.asp
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

Re: PWN2OWN is under way

PostPosted by Starmage21 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:55 pm

NulSyn wrote:The new PWN2OWN is under way and within the first day IE8, Firefox 3.6, Safari and the iPhone have all fallen.

That leaves Chrome, Blackberry, Android, and Symbian.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361810,00.asp

Chrome was last, last year. here's hopin that its still pimpin this year.
Starmage21
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Palladium
Security: NO

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:48 pm

Damn, the iphone was busted hard.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.

PostPosted by Zamion » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:44 am

not worth trying to break opera?....
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

Favorite System: ahhhh shadowrun

PostPosted by NulSyn » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:47 am

Zamion wrote:not worth trying to break opera?....

From my understanding Opera does not have enough market share for them to really care for this contest. But I wanna say I had seen it in previous years. I won't touch Opera with a 10 foot pole since it destroyed my router. I don't care how many revisions it gets. lol
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Zamion » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:58 pm

how can you be sure it was opera killing your router, but anyhow....they are the only broswer on nintendo products, there are a shit ton of DS systems and wii's out there and they do make the best mobile 3rd party broswer for windows and linux phones if you ask me.
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:12 am

Zamion wrote:how can you be sure it was opera killing your router, but anyhow....they are the only broswer on nintendo products, there are a shit ton of DS systems and wii's out there and they do make the best mobile 3rd party broswer for windows and linux phones if you ask me.

It was a known problem for Opera and anything that was using port forwarding. They ended up putting out a whole new version of Opera as quick as the could to solve the problem because of all the accessory deaths it caused.

It literally boiled down to watching the router work fine, then turn on Opera and it would start screwing up and nothing could get through....after figuring out what it was the router was already really messed up from all workload going up and down on it, granted it was a somewhat older model router, but it finally killed it from all the up and down and up and down that Opera was doing to it. So basically it was the combination of Opera and any port forwarded game, bit torrent, downloading client etc... that would mess up hubs, routers and switches. From what I understand the last two or so versions do NOT have this problem anymore and its been cleared up, but it was a big enough sting and I have all the browsers I need without Opera, so I just ignore it and won't use it anymore. But like I said its market share is very small, its not even a normal browser for testing in the Web Design field.

EDIT: I did however, learn today the Opera Mini on mobile devices usage went by 145% and is now at 50 million users. So if it stays that way, it very well could be in the next PWN2OWN.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Zamion » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:10 am

well on droid and windows phones i actualy sujest the browser and the dolphin browser cuase it well good to have somethign that loads diffrent when your handsets are so finicy on what sites they will load.
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:27 am

NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Zamion » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:42 am

IE dont suck that bad.
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:45 am

r:_lolabove Yes, IE does suck that bad.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:31 pm

Zamion wrote:IE dont suck that bad.

Actually I agree, some of the the things they are working on IE9 doing are really gonna change how browsers function quite a bit too.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Zamion » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:08 am

verdilak wrote:r:_lolabove Yes, IE does suck that bad.

it really doesnt i mean it works pretty good , it is stable, its got a few security risks in it yeah but its not like an open window for stuff to walk it,

and what ever broswer your using is at least based off of its apearence.
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:38 am

Yeah, IE is like an open window compared to the others, at least, the last version that I used was.

And I use Firefox, which is Netscape, not IE.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Starmage21 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:10 pm

verdilak wrote:Yeah, IE is like an open window compared to the others, at least, the last version that I used was.

And I use Firefox, which is Netscape, not IE.

and everyone loved Netscrape back in the day.
Starmage21
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Palladium

PostPosted by Rayven » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:34 pm

I almost got arrested because of Netscape. The ability to view page source and steal copyrighted, right-click-blocked artwork from Chad Savage apparently is a *bad* thing. And all I did was email him his own artwork, telling him that his code was broken. It's not like I claimed it as my own or anything.
STARE INTO MY EYES FOREVER
LET ME TAKE YOU IN MY ARMS
DANCE WITH ME OUT IN THE GARDEN
WHERE TOMORROW NEVER COMES
FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARKNESS
WHERE THE NIGHTMARES NEVER FADE
WHISPER DREAMS MY FALLEN ANGEL
FROM WHICH YOU WILL NEVER WAKE
Religion starts wars. Spirituality ends them

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

Location: Cubicle greyness...I'm surrounded by false intelligence!
Favorite System: Any

PostPosted by Shinitenshi » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:42 pm

IE8 killed my other computer!
I just Spread the Dead. Click below to do the same and you could win $5,000! Don’t forget to check out the premiere of The Walking Dead Sunday Oct. 31 at 10/9c on AMC. http://www.amcspreadthedead.com/share?ref=331746679
Shinitenshi
Forum Temptress
Forum Temptress

Favorite System: Pally

PostPosted by Zamion » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:47 am

IE has never killed one of my comps... I dont know just dont think its so bad you got to burn the mother down type deal.....and the lay out of firefox like the aperence of is verry much like IE
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

Return to Computers!