So what the hell is up with old cell phone prices?

You like crafts? You like DIY? We do too! Post stuff you have made, found online that cools cool, or anything that deals with crafts and DIY!

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

So what the hell is up with old cell phone prices?

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:58 am

I couldn't find hardly any cell phones on ebay for under $30 the other day, even found an old 1994 bag phone that was selling for $35 due to the range (which, is true and probably worth buying if you were constantly out of range for service), but they just aren't out there. I scoured the web, and could not find any deals on phones that were used and a few years old. Now, I wasn't looking for anything special, no touch screen's or anything, nothing with apps and crap, just a regular phone. Also, I did not even look at the cheapie flip phones that are given away by cell phone companies like candy, those are crap. I finally found a decent phone for $35, but still, what the hell has happened to all the older, used cell phones? Are they being recycled for money or something?
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: So what the hell is up with old cell phone prices?

PostPosted by Solar_Dawn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:46 am

I dunno, but I know i can sell my old phone for about 30$ despite the fact that it's completely non functioning, apparently that company thinks they can still extract enough good things from it to make it worth while.
Solar_Dawn
A more badass title!

Favorite System: Star Wars

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:36 am

It's insane. Last year, cell phones were going for $20 and less... I got my wife a RAZR and me a Sidekick for less than $20 each.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:51 am

verdilak wrote:I couldn't find hardly any cell phones on ebay for under $30 the other day, even found an old 1994 bag phone that was selling for $35 due to the range (which, is true and probably worth buying if you were constantly out of range for service), but they just aren't out there. I scoured the web, and could not find any deals on phones that were used and a few years old. Now, I wasn't looking for anything special, no touch screen's or anything, nothing with apps and crap, just a regular phone. Also, I did not even look at the cheapie flip phones that are given away by cell phone companies like candy, those are crap. I finally found a decent phone for $35, but still, what the hell has happened to all the older, used cell phones? Are they being recycled for money or something?

Its because of all the environmentally friendly trade-ins on phones. Phone companies cut deals if you bring in the old one, hell even swagbucks gives huge amounts of swagbucks for your old phone. Cell phones are one area the eco-nuts have actually been extremely successful in making sure that people have incentives to turn in their old phones instead of them lying around or being thrown away.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Shinitenshi » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:58 am

This also have programs that give old cell phones to soldiers, our school collects them as well.
I just Spread the Dead. Click below to do the same and you could win $5,000! Don’t forget to check out the premiere of The Walking Dead Sunday Oct. 31 at 10/9c on AMC. http://www.amcspreadthedead.com/share?ref=331746679
Shinitenshi
Forum Temptress
Forum Temptress

Favorite System: Pally

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:02 am

Damn... time to get rid of all our old ones.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Zamion » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:24 pm

not to mention that so many people break there phone every day and then dont want to pay full price for a new one so alot of old phones are craigs listed away and ebayed....i see 20 dead phones a day on average ....sometimes more ......everyday in just my smaller store
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

Favorite System: ahhhh shadowrun

Return to Crafts, DIY, and Technology!