Primal Recipes

We game, we like food as well! Recipes, Bentos, Pictures, talking about wine, you name it!

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

Primal Recipes

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:54 pm

These will contain zero gluten, no grains of any kind, little to no dairy, and no sugar. They will be full of meat, eggs, fats, nuts, with a sprinkle of veggies and/or fruits.

Apricot and Walnut balls

Meatza

Pizza Burgers

Fried Chicken, Breaded with Almond Flour

Crab Cakes

Cauliflower Pizza - Dont know about this one... cauliflower makes me gag, even when mashed (mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes... good idea, but still gag-worthy. Not due to taste, but due to childhood memories of the veggie)

More to come...
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Primal Recipes

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:59 pm

These look excellent! Almond butter pumpkin brownies, only 5 ingredients!

As do these! Primal bread/rolls? What could be better? Ooopsie rolls
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:54 pm

Bacon-Wrapped Enoki

* 12 slices of bacon, halved crosswise
* 2 4-ounce packages enoki mushrooms, trimmed and split into 24 bundles
* 3 scallions, quartered lengthwise and cut into 3-inch lengths
* Freshly ground pepper

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the bacon on it 3 inches apart. Set the mushrooms on the bacon slices. Top with the scallions and season with pepper. Roll up into tight cylinders and secure with toothpicks.
2. Roast the enoki bundles for 18 minutes, or until the bacon is browned and crisp. Drain the bundles on paper towels, remove the toothpicks and serve.
3. Make Ahead: The bundles can be made through Step 1 and refrigerated overnight.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Bacon-Wrapped Dates

* 30 Medjool dates
* 30 pecan halves, toasted
* 15 slice(s) (from 1-pound package) bacon, each cut lengthwise in half
* 30 sprig(s) (1 1/2-inches each) rosemary, from 4 large sprigs

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. With paring knife, make small slit in each date; remove pit and replace with 1 pecan half.
2. Wrap each stuffed date with 1 bacon strip, making sure to keep ends of each date exposed; secure with toothpick.
3. Arrange on two 15 1/2" by 101/2" jelly-roll pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until bacon is crisp, turning once. Transfer dates to paper-towel-lined plate; let drain 1 minute. Remove toothpicks and replace with rosemary sprigs. Transfer to serving platter; serve immediately.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Roasted Potatoes with Chives, Bacon, and Maytag Blue Cheese

* 12 small Yukon Gold potatoes
* 2 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt
* 1 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
* 1/8 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
* 1/2 cup(s) crumbled Maytag blue cheese
* 4 slice(s) bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
* 1 tablespoon(s) minced chives

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water; bring to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt; cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Once cooled, slice a small piece from top and bottom of each potato. Transfer to a medium bowl; toss with oil, remaining salt, and pepper.
2. Place potatoes on a baking sheet. With a paring knife, score top of each potato. Top each with equal amounts blue cheese and bacon. Bake until cheese melts, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Brussels Sprouts with Leeks and Bacon

* 4 container(s) (10 ounces each) Brussels sprouts
* 1/2 cup(s) water
* 4 strip(s) bacon, each cut into 1/4-inch pieces
* Salt and pepper
* 1 large (1-pound) leek
* 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
* 1 clove(s) garlic, crushed with press
* 1 tablespoon(s) cider vinegar
* 1/2 cup(s) (loosely packed) fresh parsley leaves, chopped

Directions

1. Trim tough ends from Brussels sprouts and cut each sprout in half. In 12-inch skillet, place Brussels sprouts and water; cover and cook on medium 12 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Transfer to large bowl; set aside. (Brussels sprouts can be cooked up to 8 hours ahead up to this point. Cool completely, then cover and refrigerate.)
2. To same skillet, add bacon; cook on medium 5 to 6 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain; do not remove skillet from heat.
3. To same skillet, add sprouts, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Cook on medium-high 6 to 8 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are browned, stirring frequently. Remove from pan; keep warm.
4. Meanwhile, trim and discard root and dark green top from leek. Discard any tough outer leaves. Cut leek lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide slices. Place leek in large bowl of cold water; with hand, swish to remove any sand. Remove leek to colander. Repeat process with fresh water, changing water several times until sand is removed. Drain leek well.
5. In same skillet, heat olive oil on medium until hot. Add leek, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; cook 12 to 14 minutes or until leek is tender and browned, stirring frequently. Add bacon, Brussels sprouts, and cider vinegar; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. To serve, stir parsley into vegetables in skillet; transfer to serving bowl.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:59 pm

Lentil Soup with Cauliflower and Bacon

* 6 slice(s) bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 cup(s) lentils
* 2 teaspoon(s) salt
* 1/4 teaspoon(s) fresh ground black pepper
* 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried rosemary, crumbled
* 1 bay leaf
* 9 cup(s) water
* 1 small head cauliflower (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into small florets (about 1 quart)
* 1/3 cup(s) chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1. In a large pot, cook the bacon strips until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat or, if there's less than 2 tablespoons, add enough olive oil to make up the amount.
2. Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the onion to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the lentils, salt, pepper, rosemary, bay leaf and water to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower and lentils are tender, about 15 minutes longer. Remove the bay leaf.
4. Stir the parsley into the soup. Serve the soup topped with the bacon.
5. Variation: Substitute broccoli florets for the cauliflower. Add them after the lentils have cooked for about twenty-five minutes and then simmer until the broccoli is tender, five to ten minutes longer.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:01 pm

Green-Chile Bacon Burgers with Goat Cheese

* 8 thick-cut slices of bacon, about 1/2 pound
* 1/2 cup(s) mango chutney
* 1 poblano chile
* Olive oil, for brushing
* 1 large tomato, cut into 4 thick slices
* 1 1/2 pound(s) ground beef chuck
* Salt and freshly ground pepper
* 3 ounce(s) fresh goat cheese, cut into 4 slices
* Watercress sprigs or lettuce, for serving

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the bacon slices on the paper and brush both sides liberally with the chutney, leaving any chunks in the jar. Bake the bacon for about 30 minutes, turning once, until caramelized. Transfer the glazed bacon to a rack and let cool.
2. Meanwhile, light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Rub the chile with oil and grill until charred all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand for 10 minutes. Peel the poblano and coarsely chop it.
3. Brush the tomato slices with oil and grill just until lightly charred, about 1 minute. Place the grilled tomato slices on the plate.
4. Form the beef into four 1-inch-thick patties and brush with oil. Season with salt and pepper and grill over high heat, turning once, until nearly medium-rare, about 6 minutes. Top with the goat cheese and chopped poblano, close the grill, and cook until the cheese is completely melted and the burgers are medium-rare, about 1 minute. Top with the glazed bacon and watercress sprigs, and serve right away.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:03 pm

Cauliflower, Bacon, and Parmesan Frittata

* 1/4 pound(s) bacon, slices cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
* 8 large eggs
* 1/3 cup(s) heavy cream
* 1 cup(s) grated Parmesan
* 3 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh parsley
* 1/8 teaspoon(s) fresh-ground black pepper
* 3 tablespoon(s) bacon grease
* 1 small head cauliflower (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into small florets
* 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
* 4 cloves garlic, minced

Directions

1. In a 10-inch nonstick frying pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove. Pour off all the fat to use later. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the cream, Parmesan, parsley and pepper until smooth. Add the cooled bacon.
2. In the same frying pan, heat the bacon grease over moderately high heat. Add the cauliflower and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is golden and almost done, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute longer. Pour in the egg mixture and reduce the heat to low. Cook, covered, until the bottom of the frittata is golden brown and the top is almost set, 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Heat the broiler. Broil the frittata 6 inches from the heat, if possible, until the eggs are set and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
4. Lift up the edge of the frittata with a spatula and slide the frittata onto a plate. Cut it into wedges.
5. Test-Kitchen Tip: If the handle of your frying pan isn't ovenproof you can make it so. Protect it from the heat of the broiler by wrapping it with four layers of aluminum foil.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:04 pm

Creamed Spinach Recipe

First put a tablespoon or two of butter in your pan and let it melt, then add chopped onions (for my one bunch of spinach/one big serving, I used half of one onion) and let them cook until translucent or until they’re to your liking. You can also add minced garlic at this point. Sometimes I do; sometimes I don’t.

Add a bit of salt, white pepper, and if you’re feeling adventurous, nutmeg.

While the onions are cooking, you can wash, dry, and chop your spinach.

When the onions are cooked the way you like them, splash in a bit of cream and stir it all together.

Then throw in your spinach and toss/stir until it’s wilted but still bright green.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:07 pm

Loaded Baked Potato Leek Soup

You will need:

* 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
* 2-3 leeks (just the white part and the light green part – toss the tough dark green parts), chopped
* Salt and white pepper
* 2 baking potatoes, diced (about 4 cups total). Leave the peels on, because why not?
* about 3 cups of chicken broth
* 1/3 cup or so of heavy cream
* bacon, cooked and crumbled
* sour cream (full fat please!)
* cheese

1. In your soup pot, melt the butter and throw in the leeks. Cook them until they’re soft, about 10 minutes or so over medium-high heat. Add salt and white pepper.
2. Then dump in the broth and potato chunks. Actually, dump in the potatoes first, then the broth. That way you won’t splash the broth (just a little) like I did.
3. Bring to a boil and cook for about 20-30 minutes or until the potato chunks are tender enough to eat nicely. I tasted one and it was perfect.
4. Turn off your stove’s heat, then use a slotted spoon to remove several spoonsful of potato/leek chunks to a bowl for safekeeping. Using an immersion blender or your regular blender, blend the soup until smooth.
5. Add the chunks you saved back into the soup, along with the heavy cream. Stir together.
6. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and bacon on top. Oh, yum! Thick creamy deliciousness with cheesy drips coming off of your spoon…
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:08 pm

Savory Vegetable Pancakes

In a bowl, mix together:

* 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
* 3 eggs
* 3 Tbsp milk
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 3 Tbsp coconut flour

Now let that sit for a while (the coconut flour needs time to absorb liquid for best texture) while you throw these in a pan:

* a little coconut oil
* chopped green onions (the green parts – save the white parts for another recipe) – maybe 3-4 Tbsp?
* julienned carrots – about 2-4 carrots’ worth, depending on how big they are.

Toss those around in the pan until the carrots are just starting to get soft, then dump them in the batter and mix together.

Next, heat up some good fat in a pan (butter, lard, tallow, bacon grease, or coconut oil – I used bacon grease) over medium-high heat and spoon in lumps of batter.

Flip them over after a couple minutes.

Then remove to a plate when they’re cooked through, and top with sour cream and/or applesauce. Enjoy as a delicious breakfast, brunch, or brinner. Seriously – they would be good for any time of day.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Grain-Free Low-Carb Cauliflower Crust Pizza

So there are varying versions of this recipe out there in the world, but they all seem to boil down to a 1:1:1 ratio of cups of cauliflower, cups of cheese, and eggs. Some people grate the cauliflower and then steam it, some people cook the cauliflower and then make puree out of it, and I’m sure other people did different stuff. This is how I did mine.

Cut apart a head of cauliflower and steam it as normal. Mine just happened to have exactly 2 cups of cooked florets.

Combine in a food processor:

* 2 cups of steamed cauliflower
* 2 cups of shredded whole-milk mozzarella (not sure if other people use the part-skim that comes in bags or not, or if it would affect the texture of the final product, but I think any kind would probably turn out fine)
* 2 eggs

I whirred it around until everything was combined and smooth and sticky.

Then, grease a pizza pan (though I found the spray to not be sufficient – next time I will use parchment paper!) and dump the sticky stuff on it, and spread into a large circle with a spatula.

Sprinkle with garlic salt, onion powder, basil, oregano, whatever you think would be good seasonings for your pizza.

Bake at 450 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until it’s firmed up a bit and golden.

Add your sauce, cheese, and toppings – for sauce I used a small can of tomato paste with water whisked in until it was a saucy consistency, then mixed in herbs. More whole-milk mozzarella for the cheese, and plain old pepperoni just because this was our first time with this experimental crust.

Pop it back in the oven, and broil for a few minutes until your cheese is melted.

I thought the crust would fall apart, but it was surprisingly … holdy-togethery. I think if I had made the crust a little thicker I would’ve been able to pick up the pieces and eat it like a “normal” pizza. I was fine with my fork though.

The cauliflower taste was very very mild and easy to ignore, and the crust had a neutral taste overall.
The husband did say it reminded him of eggplant Parmesan, but… I think it’s psychological (you know, “There are vegetables under all this cheese and sauce! AHH!”) because I didn’t really taste that at all.

This is definitely a recipe we’ll be repeating. I think it might also be fun to make “breadsticks” out of the crust mixture and top with garlic butter after they’re cooked, then dip them in sauce. Mmmm….
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:13 pm

Coconut Milk Drink Recipe

* 1 can coconut milk
* 2 cups water (or a little more than that)
* 1 Tbsp vanilla and some truvia to taste
* OR 1 Tbsp sugar-free vanilla syrup (like the kind you can get for coffee)
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:33 pm

Perfect Primal Grain-Free Gluten-Free Waffles

One recipe makes 4-5 little squares, or one large Belgian waffle.

Grain-free Gluten-free Waffles:

* 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
* 3 eggs
* 3 Tbsp milk
* 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
* Optional – 1 Tbsp maple syrup, honey, or other sweetener
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 3 Tbsp coconut flour

Grain free waffles

Simply mix everything together, and let the ingredients meld for about 5 minutes while your waffle iron gets warm. The coconut flour seems to react better if it has time to “soak” so please don’t leave out this “melding” time.

Then, thinly spread over your waffle iron – I didn’t need to use nonstick spray for these. You’ll want to just barely cover the “hole” lumps of the waffle iron, because this batter expands a lot.

Close the iron and wait several minutes, until the steam stops coming out quite as much. If you want, you can open it to peek… it won’t hurt anything. When the steam isn’t as crazy, and the waffles are starting to brown, remove them to a plate.

Repeat until all of your batter is used up.

If you want to, you can serve it with a fruit topping. I used strawberries the day I took these pictures, but I also made blueberry topping another time and it was just as good.

Fruit waffle toppings:

1. Put fruit in a small saucepan. Strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries are perfect for this.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium or medium-low.
3. Add a small splash of vanilla extract and a little bit of sweetener (optional) if your berries are quite tart.
4. Simmer while you make your waffles.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:34 pm

Gluten-Free Chocolate Banana Bread

Set your oven to preheat for 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mix together:

* 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
* 1/2 cup cocoa powder
* 2 bananas, mashed
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 6 eggs, room temperature
* 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted

If you’d like, you can fold in nuts at this point.

Oil a 8″ or 9″ baking pan with coconut oil or butter, and pour in the batter.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean.

Cool, then slice (this slices SO nicely… perfect cuts).

Enjoy plain or smothered with butter, or try topping it with some almond butter.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:41 pm

Zucchini Carrot Nests

First, I grated 4-5 carrots and 2 zucchinis. I actually used the food processor shredder blade thingy, which made the process SUPER FAST. I love that thing (thanks yaya).

Then I sprinkled in some coconut flour. Too much. Don’t do this. Maybe a tablespoon or two just to lightly coat the veggies.

And crack 2 eggs into it. I only took a picture of one though.

Add 2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Stir it all together…

Heat a large pan over medium-high heat with a little olive oil in it, and use a 1-cup measuring cup to portion out your pancakes.

The measuring cup is also good for use as sort of a mold.

See? I just flattened them with a spatula after putting them in. Cook about 4-5 minutes on each side.

Then put the pancakes on a baking sheet and make a well in each one with the back of a tablespoon.

Crack an egg into each well (I actually cracked them into a ramekin, then slid it into the “holes” in the pancakes. Less traumatic for the eggs).

Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit about 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked. (Note: eggs were overdone so this was too hot and/or too long)

Serve with a simple salad.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 pm

ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Shinitenshi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:04 pm

That potato soup is a lot like the one I make all the time only I use ham. I do have a question...I thought you couldn't eat potatoes because of the carbs?
I just Spread the Dead. Click below to do the same and you could win $5,000! Don’t forget to check out the premiere of The Walking Dead Sunday Oct. 31 at 10/9c on AMC. http://www.amcspreadthedead.com/share?ref=331746679
Shinitenshi
Forum Temptress
Forum Temptress

Favorite System: Pally

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:46 pm

Some people are less restrictive about it. I don't eat it because the starch=sugar once it is in the body, and that causes insulin to come out and if I am insulin resistant (I am still heavy, so I say that I am) it is not good for me. But if you are already at a stable weight and are not resistant, your insulin should be able to handle the sugar if it is once in a while.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Shinitenshi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:02 pm

Well I'm not at a stable weight so it will be no or little potatoes for me :)

Thanks
I just Spread the Dead. Click below to do the same and you could win $5,000! Don’t forget to check out the premiere of The Walking Dead Sunday Oct. 31 at 10/9c on AMC. http://www.amcspreadthedead.com/share?ref=331746679
Shinitenshi
Forum Temptress
Forum Temptress

Favorite System: Pally

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:15 pm

PORK CHILI VERDE

ingredients:
2 T lard
1 onion, chopped
2 poblano peppers, chopped
2 cubanelle peppers, chopped
2 Anaheim peppers, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
6 tomatillos, chopped finely
1 green summer squash, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lb ground pork
2-4 cups chicken stock (depending on how thick you like it)
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp dried oregano or 2 T fresh oregano
1 tsp sea salt

Heat the lard in a Dutch oven and brown all the vegetables except the squash and garlic until they start to get soft. Add the garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant. Add the pork and cook until no longer pink. Add the chicken stock and seasonings, bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:57 pm

ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:02 pm

GO-TO CURRY shrimpy style
serves 3 maybe

The culprits today:
copious amounts of coconut oil
half a large onion
2 tiny sweet potatoes
1 stalk of celery
a can of coconut milk
a small jar of green curry paste
1/2 cup frozen peas
huge handful of baby spinach
1 lb shrimp

Heat the coconut oil in a big skillet and set the onions, sweet potatoes and celery to browning. Then add the curry paste and let it fry for a minute until it gets fragrant, followed by the can of coconut milk, and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Then stir in the peas and spinach until the spinach started to wilt, followed by the shrimp. Watch it like a hawk and remove it from the heat just when the shrimp turned pink. Done! Served it with lemon wedges to spruce it up a little bit.

To be very strictly paleo you wouldn't want to use the peas or possibly the sweet potatoes, but - just add whatever veggies you have in the house and it'll be fine. This way the curry is different every single time it is made. If you are using a different, longer-cooking meat such as chicken, add it in at the same time I add the coconut milk.

If your shrimp need to be peeled, here is a way to get rid of them besides throwing them into the trash.

SHRIMP STOCK

shells and tails from 1 lb of shrimp
1/4 of an onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1/2 a big carrot, chopped
a few sprigs of parsley
1 small lemon, sliced
1 bay leaf
5 whole peppercorns
1/2 tsp sea salt
water to cover

Combine everything in a smallish pot and brought it to a boil. Skimmed the foam, reduced the heat, and let it simmer for an hour.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Coconut Flour Orange Cake (gfcf)

Recipe notes: I give you a method for melting the coconut oil while greasing the pan, saving you a dish. You can certainly melt the coconut oil in one pan and grease the pan separately. Also, I add the coconut oil last just in case it is still pretty warm. Having the eggs already mixed with the other ingredients provides a bit of a buffer in case the oil is still too warm. Scrambled egg cake is not what we’re after here.

Ingredients

* 6 eggs
* 1/4 cup coconut oil
* 1/4 cup coconut milk
* 6 Tablespoons raw honey
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
* 1/2 cup coconut flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (aluminum free)
* 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
* juice of 1/2 medium orange

Directions

1. Take your eggs out of your refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Measure out coconut oil and place in an 8"x8" pan. Place the pan in the oven to melt the coconut oil.
2. While the coconut oil is melting, whisk the eggs, coconut milk, honey, vanilla and orange zest together. Once the coconut oil is melted (probably around five minutes or less), remove the pan from the oven and let it cool while you mix in the rest of your ingredients.
3. Combine coconut flour, baking powder and sea salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet. Once your pan is cooled enough to handle, carefully swirl your coconut oil around your pan in order to grease all sides. Then pour the coconut oil into the batter and mix until all lumps are gone.
4. Pour the batter into your greased pan and place on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until browned on top and a toothpick comes out clean.Place the cake on a cooling rack. After the cake has cooled a bit, but is still warm, poke holes all over the top with a fork. Juice the orange half right over the whole cake, making sure to evenly distribute the juice.

Orange Coconut Oil Frosting (gfcf)

Recipe notes: Be sure to melt your coconut oil in a glass bowl. I do this by putting the bowl over a small pan of simmering water.

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted in a glass bowl
* 9 drops of liquid stevia (alternatively, you could use a couple of teaspoons of raw honey)
* 1 packed teaspoon orange zest
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* pinch of salt

Directions

1. Mix all ingredients into warm coconut oil. You are now going to place the bowl into the freezer in order to cool it down. It is very important to check on it every couple of minutes to catch it before it gets too cold. You want to take it out of the freezer right when it starts to get cloudy.
2. At this point the cold bowl (and your cool kitchen) will continue to turn the liquid oil into a solid. Continue to whisk the frosting as it gets cloudier and cloudier and eventually turns into a whipped butter consistency. The idea is to get a bit of air into it. Once it is to a whipped (very soft) butter consistency plop it onto your cooled cake. Frost it very quickly before the coconut oil hardens. It will seem like a pretty thin layer of frosting, but it is just enough.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:08 pm

Apple Glazed Turkey breast

serves 2

2 turkey breast cutlets, 4-6 oz each
1/4 cup apple juice (or the juice of 1 medium/large apple)
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 T fresh tarragon, minced
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
salt and pepper
extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp of arrowroot powder, optional

Make the sauce by whisking the apple juice, chicken stock, garlic, tarragon and ginger together in a small bowl.

Heat a heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat until good and hot. Add enough olive oil that your meat won't stick (I used about 1T in my cast iron). Salt and pepper the turkey cutlets and sear 2 minutes on each side, then remove to a plate.

Reduce the heat to medium and add the sauce to the pan. Stir to loosen any bits from the bottom, and when the sauce comes to a boil add the turkey cutlets back to the pan. Cook for a few more minutes until the turkey is done through and the sauce has boiled down. If the sauce has boiled down too far, add a little more chicken stock. To tighten up a loose sauce, dissolve the arrowroot powder in 1T cold water, whisk into the sauce and simmer until thickened.

recipe inspired by Low Carb High Flavor Recipes Made Easy by Fiona Carns
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:21 pm

COCONUT CHICKEN FINGERS
serves 2

ingredients:
1-1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cut into large strips (4-5 per breast depending on if they have the tenders attached or not)
2-3 T coconut flour
1-2 eggs, beaten (start with 1 and use the second if you start to run out)
1 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
1 tsp sea salt
coconut oil for cooking

Set up a dredging station with 3 bowls, one for coconut flour, one for egg, one for shredded coconut. Season the coconut flour with the salt.

Dredge each chicken finger first in coconut flour, then egg, then shredded coconut.

Heat a bunch of coconut oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium/medium-high heat. Cook the chicken fingers until golden brown on each side. Do it in more than one batch if necessary and keep cooked chicken fingers warm on a foil lined baking sheet in an oven set to the lowest setting.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:21 pm

COCONUTTY FRUIT SALAD

ingredients:
2 heaping cups mixed fruit (pictured is a heaping 1/2 cup each of blueberries, strawberries, red grapes and pineapple)
2 T raw coconut butter
1/4 cup toasted almonds

Cut your fruit any way you want it. Roughly chop the almonds. Gently warm the coconut butter until it becomes runny, then immediately toss with the fruit and nuts. The coldness of the fruit will make the coconut butter harden back up and stick to it like a shell. Dig in and enjoy!
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:24 pm

COCONUT MILK ICE CREAM
honey/lavender/vanilla version :)

1 14-oz can full fat coconut milk
2 eggs
1 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise
1 T chopped lavender flowers, optional
3 T raw honey (adjust up or down to taste, but less honey will make it freeze much harder in the freezer)
ice cream maker

Set up a double boiler by placing a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water (be sure it's simmering and not a full rolling boil, as this will give you better control later). Add the coconut milk and lavender to the bowl. Scrape the insides of the vanilla bean into the coconut milk, then throw in the whole bean pod as well. Stirring fairly frequently, heat until the coconut milk is hot but not boiling.

Meanwhile, whisk the eggs well in a separate bowl. Once the coconut milk is hot, add a ladleful to the eggs while you're whisking - you want to bring the eggs up to the temperature of the coconut milk without scrambling them. Add in another ladleful of hot coconut milk to the egg mixture while whisking. Take the now hot egg mixture and whisk it into the bowl of coconut milk on the double boiler.

Now, whisk constantly until the mixture thickens to a custard. This may take several minutes. If it's getting too hot and starting to scramble, remove from the heat immediately but keep whisking, then return it to the double boiler. Once it has thickened to a custard, remove the bowl from the heat and let it cool.

Remove the vanilla bean pods. Once the custard is cool enough for you to stick your finger in it and hold it there without burning, whisk in the raw honey. Put the custard base in the refrigerator or freezer until it gets cold. Freeze in your ice cream machine per the manufacturer's instructions.

Straight out of the machine this ice cream has a creamy soft serve texture. If you store it in the freezer for later, just let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes before eating to let it soften up a little bit.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Carrot Cake Caveman Cookies

Ingredients:
- 2 cups mini carrots
- 2 cups almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg or pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla. (I think it would actually be better with 2 tsp vanilla but I have not tried it yet).
- 2 teaspoon Evoo or Coconut Oil
- 3 eggs

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients except eggs in food processor. Pulse until small but a little chunky.
2. Combine mixture with eggs in a large mixing bowl.
3. Form into “patties” and place on a baking sheet. I made 10 with this batch.
4. Bake at 350 degrees until done. Mine took about 40 minutes.
5. Enjoy!
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:30 pm

Jamaican Ribs

serves 2

ingredients:
1.5 lbs pork baby back ribs
1 T dried thyme
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground or crushed coriander
1/2 cup water
2 T extra virgin olive oil

Combine all the ingredients in a plastic bag and marinate for at least 1 hour, but 3 hours is better. Preheat the oven to 290 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly oil it with some extra olive oil. Lay the ribs on the baking sheet and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 2 hours. Remove from the oven and drain any liquid. Heat up the broiler. Broil ribs meaty side up for 5 minutes to crisp up.

You can double this easily and make some tasty leftovers.

Recipe is adapted from Eating Stella Style by George Stella.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Grain-Free Almond Crackers

ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1 egg white
1 pinch salt

(that's it!)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

In a bowl, mix together the almond flour, egg white, and salt until it forms a paste.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Make sure you use parchment paper, because if you don't you'll end up chipping your crackers out of the pan. Place the dough in the middle and top with another piece of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin (or any other cylindrical instrument), roll out the dough as thin as you can get it. Try to make it take up the whole cookie sheet if you can. Super thin. I mean it!

Peel off the top layer of paper and score the dough with a knife into whatever size crackers you want. Bake in the 325 oven for 10 minutes and then check on the crackers. You are looking for them to color ever so slightly. A little color means crispy, but a lot of color means burned nut taste, which is no good. If the edges have started to color nicely, remove them to a plate and put the remaining crackers back in the oven. Keep doing this, checking every 5 minutes and removing the golden crackers, until finally they are all baked to perfection.

Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

You can make many variations on thee crackers by adding in different seasonings to the dough base. Go nuts!
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:34 pm

TACO SEASONING

ingredients:
2 T chili powder
1-1/2 T cumin
1-1/2 T paprika
1 T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Just put everything in a container and shake to combine! To make taco meat, mix 3 T of the mixture with 1 lb of ground meat and salt to taste. Just brown the meat, add the seasonings and 1/4 cup of water, and simmer for 5 minutes.

Recipe is adapted from 500 Low Carb Recipes by Dana Carpender.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:37 pm

LAMB KABOBS WITH PALEO MINT PESTO
serves 2 people for dinner with 1 portion leftover for lunch :)

ingredients:
~1.5 lbs lamb stew meat or boneless leg of lamb cut into chunks
any mix of your favorite kabob vegetables - I used chunks of zucchini and yellow squash, but tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, etc would all be good too

1 bunch of fresh mint (about 1.5 cups)
1 big handful of fresh parsley (about 1 cup)
juice of half a lemon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of red pepper flakes

In a food processor or blender, combine mint, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes and turn into a coarse puree

Combine the pesto with the lamb and vegetables and leave to marinate 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat your broiler. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Drain the lamb and vegetables (reserving the marinade), place on the baking sheet, and broil 7-10 minutes or until desired doneness.

Recipe is heavily adapted from "5 Square Low Carb Meals" by Monica Lynn.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:39 pm

CAULIFLOWER RICE
serves 2

ingredients:
1/2 head of cauliflower, grated
reserved pesto marinade
1/4 cup chicken stock
extra virgin olive oil

Heat 1-2 T of olive oil in a large pan and start to saute the grated cauliflower over medium heat. After the pan has gotten nice and hot, add the reserved pesto and the chicken stock. Continue sauteing, stirring, until the cauliflower is al dente. Don't cook it too long or it will turn to mush. I estimate this takes 5-7 minutes, but just taste it as you go and pull it off the heat when it's done.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Turkey or Pork Breakfast Sausage

ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey or pork
1 tsp onion powder or 1 T onion flakes
1/4 tsp each cumin, black pepper, nutmeg, oregano, red pepper flakes, and ground ginger
1-1/2 tsp poultry seasoning (or 1/2 tsp each dried basil, thyme, and sage)
1-1/2 tsp sea salt
1 egg, lightly beaten

Mix all ingredients together and chill for at least an hour to let the flavors meld. Form it into patties and saute until nicely browned on both sides. If you use turkey you might need to grease the pan a little, but if you use pork it should produce enough of its own fat.

Recipe is adapted from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:43 pm

ARUGULA AND WALNUT CAKE

makes 9 squares

ingredients:
1-1/2 pounds arugula, thoroughly washed, very roughly chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs, whisked
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon celtic sea salt

1. Wilt arugula in a large covered saucepan, over low heat (do not add water), until tender.
2. Drain and cool, then gently squeeze moisture out of the arugula. Really, get all the moisture out you possibly can. I think this is the most important step.
3. Place arugula in food processor and pulse until coarsely blended, then set aside.
4. In a small skillet, warm 3 tablespoons oil, add walnuts and saute until golden brown.
5. Add garlic to pan of walnuts and saute together an additional minute.
6. In a large bowl, combine walnut mixture, blended arugula, eggs, raisins and salt.
7. Spread mixture in a very thin layer into a greased 7 x 11 inch pyrex baking dish.
8. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes.
9. Cut into 9 squares and serve.

I was home alone when I made these and I ate half the pan by myself right away they were so good! The raisins make them very sweet, so I think if I made it again I might reduce the raisins to 1/4 or 1/3 cup. This was great as a side dish with some steak. It was also good room temperature the next day for breakfast alongside some fried eggs.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Paleo Chicken Croquettes

Start these a few hours or the day before you want to eat as the mixture needs to chill in the fridge. Makes approximately 12 croquettes.

ingredients:
2 leftover chicken leg quarters, skinned and meat torn off the bones (save the bones for soup stock!)
1/2 a small onion
1/2 - 1 cup of mushrooms
2 T mayonnaise (I think really thick coconut milk would probably work as well...you know, the solid stuff that sits on top of the liquid in the can)
1 chipotle pepper canned in adobo, minced
1/2 - 1 tsp adobo seasoning (basically a mixture of salt, garlic powder, and cumin)
1 egg
olive oil

Pulse the onion and mushroom in a food processor until very finely chopped. These are standing in for your bread crumbs. Heat up a little olive oil in a skillet and gently saute the mushroom/onion mixture until it is cooked through and starting to brown.

Meanwhile, put the cooked chicken meat in the food processor and pulse until it starts to kind of look like bread crumbs. Add the mayonnaise, chipotle pepper, adobo seasoning, and egg and pulse to combine. Add the cooked onion/mushroom mixture and pulse to combine again. Scoop the chicken mixture into a container with a lid and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.

When the time comes for cooking, heat some olive oil up in a skillet. Using two spoons, scoop up the chicken mixture and shape it into quenelles. Don't know what quenelles are? Here's a link that explains how to make a quenelle: http://www.chefspencil.com/recipes/NDUy ... HowTo.aspx Why do them this way? Well, three reasons. The first one is that you don't have to get your hands dirty. The second is that it looks really nice. And the third is that it makes it very easy to brown the meatballs evenly on three sides. Anyway, just brown your croquettes/quenelles on all three sides and set on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Enjoy!
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:50 pm

Avocado Pudding

1 really ripe avocado (too ripe is better than not quite ripe enough)
1 ripe banana
3 T toasted carob powder or cocoa powder
1/2-1 tsp raw honey, optional (not pictured)

Cut the avocado in half and scoop the halves into the food processor. Peel the banana, cut it into large chunks, and add it to the food processor too. Add the carob powder on top.

Process the ingredients until they start to break down and get smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness with the raw honey. Process again until the pudding is completely smooth and creamy and then scrape into a bowl.

Note about carob: Carob is often marketed as a chocolate substitute, which I think does carob a pretty big disservice. As a chocolate substitute, frankly, it sucks. As a food in its own right though, it has a delicious toasty flavor. If you don't like carob or if you would rather have a chocolate pudding, just replace the carob powder with cocoa powder and up the honey to 1 Tablespoon (carob is naturally sweet whereas cocoa powder isn't, so the cocoa powder needs a boost).
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:52 pm

Ham Hock and Cabbage Soup

6-8 small servings or 3-4 large servings

ingredients:
* 4 tablespoons bacon grease
* 1 nitrate-free ham hock (about 1 pound)
* 1/2 a large onion, chopped
* 3 celery stalks, chopped
* 1/2 a small-to-medium head of green cabbage, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
* 3-4 cups Chicken Broth
* 3-4 cups peeled and cubed pumpkin (or other winter squash)

Heat the bacon grease over medium-high heat. Add the celery and onions and cook til they start to wilt. Add the ham hock.

Add the cabbage, garlic, bay leaves, black pepper, salt, and cayenne. Stir and cook until cabbage is slightly wilted, 3-4 minutes.

Pour the broth in, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

Add the pumpkin, cover, and simmer 1 hour.

Remove the ham hock from the pot and remove the meat from the bone. Shred the meat and stir it back into the soup. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:53 pm

Almond Meal Fried Chicken

serves 2

ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into fingers
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 tsp sea salt
1.5 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1/4 - 1/3 cup olive oil/coconut oil/lard for frying

Heat the oil a large pan over medium-high heat (but closer to medium than to high - you don't want the almond meal to burn).

Put the beaten egg in one bowl and the almond meal plus seasonings into another bowl. Dip each chicken finger in egg, then in the almond meal mixture.

Cook the chicken in two batches until it is golden on each side.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:39 pm

Green Chicken

ingredients:
boneless skinless chicken breast
extra virgin olive oil
salt-free herbal seasoning blend (I use "all purpose seasoning" from the Simply Organic line of spices, but any mix will work)
pinch of sea salt

Heat the broiler, line a baking sheet with foil, and position a rack over the pan.

Remove the tenders from the breasts and thinly slice them. You can slice the breasts into 2 or 3 slices depending on how thin you like them.

Take a small bowl and glug some olive oil into it. Add a pinch of salt and enough dried herbs to make a thick paste. Drag the breast slices and tenders through the herb paste and coat both sides.

Place the chicken on the rack and broil for 8 minutes on one side. It will cook completely through and the side facing up with get a crust.

Remove from oven, let cool, slice, and store.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:40 pm

Scrambled Sam I Am

1 egg
1/2 cup loose baby organic spinach
1tb coconut milk
smidge of salt

blend well in magic bullet and scramble in loads of butter. it tastes JUST like scrambled eggs.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Bacon Mayonnaise

Yield About 1/2 cup

Jennifer McLagan
Ingredients

* 1 egg yolk
* 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
* Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1/2 cup liquid bacon fat

Method

* Combine the egg yolk, mustard and lemon juice in the small bowl of a food processor or in a blender and process to mix. Season with salt and pepper.
* Have the bacon fat liquid, but not hot. With the machine running, gradually the bacon fat until the mixture starts to stiffen and emulsify, about 2 minutes. Once it starts to emulsify, you can add the fat more quickly. If the mayonnaise is too thick, just blend in 1 teaspoon of boiling water to thin it. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:51 pm

Lamb Meatballs with Tahini dipping sauce and Cucumber Salad

lamb meatballs:
1 lb ground lamb
1 small eggplant
1 egg
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp sea salt

Cover a small baking pan with foil and roast the eggplant for 1-1.5 hours at 375 degrees, or until the eggplant is soft. Remove from the oven, peel, and mash with a fork. Set the flesh in a strainer and let the liquid drain off.

Combine the mashed eggplant, lamb, egg, oregano, and sea salt in a large bowl. It will be pretty goopy. Form mixture into meatballs, if made with heaping tablespoons you should get about 26 meatballs.

Heat a skillet over medium heat. If you use a nonstick skillet, no fat is necessary as the lamb will render out enough. If your skillet is not nonstick, you might want to grease it. Fry the meatballs on three sides until they are nicely browned.

-----

tahini dipping sauce:
1/2 cup tahini
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
handful of fresh cilantro or parsley or both

Toss everything in a food processor and let it rip til it's smooth. It's better to make this at least an hour in advance to let the flavors meld (make the sauce after you stick the eggplant in the oven and then pull it out of the fridge at serving time).

-----

cucumber salad:
1/2 a large English hothouse cucumber
sea salt
red wine vinegar
extra virgin olive oil

Score the cucumber with a fork and then slice it into thin rounds.

Put the cucumber slices into a strainer or colander and sprinkle with sea salt. Put something heavy on top and let it drain while everything else cooks.

Right before serving, squeeze out all the remaining water and drizzle on some red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:52 pm

Stuffed Zucchini

2 large zucchinis
1 lb ground bison/buffalo (ground beef will work too, but you want a very lean meat...otherwise it will give off too much liquid and your zucchinis will be swimming)
1/2 a large onion, minced
salt and pepper to taste
dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp of oregano
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 T tomato paste (optional)
1/2 cup chopped olives or olive tapenade
1 egg
coconut oil

Cut the zucchinis in half longways. Scoop out the insides to form a large trough in each zucchini.

Heat coconut oil in a skillet and saute the onion and the scraped out zucchini insides. Caramelize it and make sure all the water cooks out. Remove the zucchini/onion mixture to a large bowl.

Add the meat to the skillet and brown, along with some salt and pepper to taste, the cayenne, and the oregano. Drain it if there's a lot of liquid after the meat is done cooking. Add the tomato sauce and paste and stir to combine.

Add the meat/tomato mixture to the bowl with the onion/zucchini mixture, along with the olives. Mix well and make sure it's slightly cool. Beat the egg and mix it in.

Mound each zucchini half with the mixture and put in a large baking dish with a little water on the bottom. Bake at 400 for 40 min. You can make the filling and stuff the zucchinis in advance and hold them covered in the fridge until it's time to bake them.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:11 pm

Celery Apple Slaw

This is a really nice simple side dish that goes well with any grilled meat.

All quantities are to taste:
celery, cut into matchsticks
apple, cut into matchsticks
parsley, minced
lemon juice
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt

Just toss everything together. This is also great if you add in some thinly sliced fennel bulb and then use minced fennel fronds instead of parsley.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:09 pm

serves 3-4

ingredients:
fruit of your choice (I used one can of apricots canned in juice and about 1/2 cup frozen raspberries)
1/2 tsp arrowroot powder, optional
1/4 cup prunes or dates
1/2 cup almond flour
1 cup walnuts or pecans
1/2 tsp cinnamon
stevia to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place your fruit of choice in an oven safe dish of the appropriate size and sprinkle with the arrowroot powder (this will make the filling more syrupy/cohesive, but is optional).

Puree the prunes or date in a food processor along with the almond flour. Add the whole nuts and cinnamon and pulse briefly to combine. Taste and adjust sweetness with stevia. The mixture should hold together when you squeeze it, but be crumbly if you rub it between your fingers; if it's too dry add a little splash of juice, if it's too wet add some more nuts.

Press the nut mixture down firmly over the fruit. Place in the oven and bake for 30 min. Let cool for 15 minutes before eating.

This refrigerates well for at least one day and is excellent reheated for breakfast.

Recipe was modified from: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php ... stcount=97
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Return to Food!