I found this interesting: Bock's Car and Nagasaki

History, you know what that is!

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

I found this interesting: Bock's Car and Nagasaki

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:28 am

When "Bock's Car" -- the second B-29 to carry an atomic bomb -- took off on August 9, 1945 its primary target was not Nagasaki. Rather, it was the town of Kokura. However, upon arriving at Kokura, the city was found to be so obscured by smoke and haze that a visual bomb run could not be made. After three attempts to get a clear view of the target, the "Bock's Car" gave up on Kokura and diverted to to the mission's secondary target, the town of Nagasaki.

The conditions at Nagasaki weren't any better than those at Kokura and the commander and the weapon officer of the "Bock's Car" chose to bomb Nagasaki by radar, rather than by visual targeting. This was in violation of their orders, but otherwise they would have been forced to either jettison the bomb or carry it back to Okinawa.

So the bomb carried by the "Bock's Car" was dropped by radar targeting -- and missed its aiming point by about a mile.

Source: Frank, Richard B. Downfall. New York, 1999.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Return to History!