w00t! Fuck Yeah! Got my Worldview essay back today!

Come in here to talk about the dreaded topics noone can ever seem to agree upon!

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

w00t! Fuck Yeah! Got my Worldview essay back today!

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:28 am

and I got a 100%! My professor for this class is the type that does not give perfect grades, so it's a pretty big deal. Before this essay, my grades were from 88% to 96%, with an average of 93%. Now, it raised it up to a 96% which is pretty good since I have another essay that I am waiting on being graded, as well as a powerpoint presentation... and I think I am being graded on the strength of my arguments in my debate. Either way, this is the first 100% I have recieved in this class so I am beyond excited for myself (not technically true, as I have been getting 100% on my Discussion Question Essays each week, but I don't count those since there are 2 due a week, both of them are worth 1 point, and you get that point if you write an essay in responce to the question and respond to someone else's essay. In otherwords, everyone should be getting perfect scores on the DQ's unless you really don't give a shit).

Okay, here is my essay, and my professor's comments will be at the end, after the References.

Worldview Essay
Verdilak
Grand Canyon University
Introduction to Philosophy: PHI 101
December 13, 2009

Worldview Essay

A worldview is “the set of beliefs about fundamental aspects of Reality that ground and influence all your perceiving, thinking, knowing, and doing” (Funk, 2001). It consists of five different aspects according to Nash (1999): God, metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, and anthropology. The God aspect is about whether or not you believe that there are Gods, the nature of the Gods, and their role in the universe. Metaphysics is the aspect that is your belief on the nature of reality, if it is completely natural or if there are supernatural elements around us. Knowledge, where knowledge comes from, and the possibility of certainty are all part of epistemology. Ethics are your beliefs on what is right and wrong. Anthropology is the aspect concerning your belief on the nature and purpose of humanity. While others may attribute more aspects, or different ones, or even less than Nash does, the meaning behind them and their role in your worldview stay the same.

Concerning Gods and Goddesses, my belief is that there are none. I do not believe that this world and universe was created through the use of supernatural force and that the world-creation mythologies are just stories. In a recent debate on whether or not God exists, I attacked the soul as part of my argument. The soul is meant to be the spiritual part of you in which your thoughts and personality reside in. And yet, the soul which is seen as eternal as well as spiritual can be affected by the physical world. Alcohol and drugs impair your ability to think. According to Steven Pinker (1999):

Many kinds of evidence show that the mind is an entity in the physical world, part of a causal chain of physical events. If you send an electric current through the brain, you cause the person to have a vivid experience. If a part of the brain dies because of a blood clot or a burst artery or a bullet wound, a part of the person is gone -- the person may lose an ability to see, think, or feel in a certain way, and the entire personality may change. The same thing happens gradually when the brain accumulates a protein called beta-amyloid in the tragic disease known as Alzheimer's. The person -- the soul, if you want -- gradually disappears as the brain decays from this physical process.

That your thoughts and emotions are able to be damaged and destroyed through the harming of the brain, it shows that there is not a soul residing within us. If there were a soul, then it would not be able to be affected by the physical world. Without the soul, there is very little need for Gods, leading me to believe that there are, in fact, no Gods in reality.

In the 1970’s, a group of Canadian parapsychologists ran an experiment to create though their willpower and concentration alone, a thought form with a complete history (Owen & Sparrows, 1975). Basically, they were attempting to create a ghost based upon a fictitious life. They succeeded at this multiple times over but did not continue their experiments into areas that could have changed our perception of the world around us. I posit that such things as ghosts, spirits, demons, gods, and other supernatural creatures are actually thought forms created by us and strengthened over many years of fervent belief. This is an example of my metaphysical beliefs. I follow the naturalist philosophy, that there are no such supernatural things out there, that the universe and our world can be explained through scientific understanding.

As the experiments of the Canadian parapsychologists show that a group of people can link their minds together to create something unseen, so too do I believe that humans can access a sort of collective consciousness in regards to knowledge. This knowledge is experienced through gut feelings, déjà vu, inspiration, and epiphanies. Our thoughts are just electrical impulses being sent all over the advanced computer that is our brain. Electricity is all around us, and I posit that our consciousness is able to communicate with the electricity around us through both accident and through techniques like meditation. Much like the recent toys that “use a modified form of electroencephalography — or EEG — technology to measure electrical signals emitted by the brain, says Jim Sullivan of NeuroSky, the company that created the technology that makes the toys work” (NPR, 2009).

Because of my lack of belief in Gods and the supernatural, I feel that ethical behavior and moral standards are created by our family, culture and society. We use a combination of all three to determine what the correct actions are in any given situation. For example, my family sees nothing wrong with borrowing items from one another, even if there is no intention to return the item back to the family member it rightfully belongs to. My family lives in and around the Italian communities in St. Louis and there is great deal of sharing among different families. However, these items that we borrow are replaced and returned as promptly as possible. Another example to show that moral and ethical behavior is based upon the rules set in place by the society is the Hadza people. The Hadza, a hunter-gatherer group in northern Tanzania, whom are said to have been unchanged in their community for 10,000 years and are genetically one of the primary roots of the human family tree, have behaviors that would not be considered morally or ethically correct by the Western world, but for them it is how they live. They change marriage partners every few years, more often than not with the woman's prerogative in full force. There are few life-long pairings among these people. For us, changing partners every few years would not be ethical due to what our society says on the matter, but for these people, it is normal. These people are proof that social and cultural norms are what drive ethical and moral behavior.

As far as the aspect of anthropology goes, I believe that humanity is just the way things happened. Every choice made sets the stage for the next choice, and so on. Humanity came about as an accident, just another effect of choices made. And humanity is still changing; all of us are mutations that appear to be normal. Our thoughts, our feelings, are all the culmination of base instincts and the impulses of our brain, and yet we know that we have free will. Your body might shrink back from a needle due to the instinct of fear, or might cause your stomach to make noises due to hunger, but we can override these impulses and instincts to do what we choose to do. I also believe that humans are neither good nor evil, that we are selfish creatures just like every other creature on this planet. We follow the laws of society because of a desire to stay free, while a few let their impulse and instincts take complete control.

Through the course of this class, my worldview has changed. Four weeks ago, I was full of contradictions in my beliefs. I actually believed in reincarnation of the soul and at the same time, I did not believe in the soul. I can say that this class and the debate helped me to better put my thoughts and beliefs down cohesively. (Good) My worldview is rational and logical I feel, using science to help pave the way for stronger beliefs that use proof to back them up. Faith is comforting, I agree, but for me, faith has no place in my beliefs. I prefer facts, logic, and reason to help see me through the world that we live in. Some might say that logic is cold and unimaginative, but look around at the wonders nature has provided for us. Fact is often stranger, and far more wondrous, than fiction.(Nice)

References
Dawkins R. & Pinker S. (1999). Is science killing the soul? Retrieved on November 20, 2009, from http://www.edge.org/documents/archive/edge53.html

Nash, R. (1999). Life’s ultimate questions. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

NPR. (2009). Levitation toys really test brain power. Retrieved on December 13, 2009, from http://morningswithnpr.blogspot.com/200 ... power.html

Owen, I. & Sparrows, M. (1975). Conjuring up phillip. Toronto: Harper & Row.

Outstanding work
Your Essay is well-argued, well-written and demonstrates that you have given much thought to these matters. I would encourage you to continue to study Philosophy. It was a pleasure to have you in class.
Best Wishes,
Professor

And per the rubric for the essay:

Criteria
5=Excellent

Mechanics of Writing (includes spelling, punctuation, grammar)
5: Writer is clearly in control of standard, written American English.

Evaluating and Documenting Sources (includes use of appropriate style, correct in-text and citation format, etc)
5: There are virtually no errors in documentation format or citation; all sources are authoritative.

Language Use and Audience Awareness (includes sentence construction, word choice, etc)
5: The writer uses a variety of sentence constructions, figures of speech, and word choice in unique and creative ways that are appropriate to purpose, discipline, and scope.

Paragraph Development and Transitions
5: There is a sophisticated construction of paragraphs and transitions. Ideas universally progress and relate to each other. The writer has been careful to use paragraph and transition construction to guide the reader. Paragraph structure is seamless. Individually and collectively, paragraphs are coherent and cohesive -- they “sparkle.”

Thesis Development and Purpose
5: Thesis and/or main claim is comprehensive; contained within the thesis is the essence of the paper. Thesis statement makes the purpose of the paper clear.

Argument Logic and Construction
5: Clear and convincing argument that presents a persuasive claim in a unique and compelling manner.

Evidence
5: The type, quantity, and/or quality of evidence resonates with the claims, argument and the structure of the paper. Irrefutable evidence from theoretical, academic, and practical sources is convincingly presented.

Okay, so I am bragging, what of it? I'm pretty damn proud of myself for the work I did. ANd why shouldn't I? My paper fucking "sparkled"! LOL
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: w00t! Fuck Yeah! Got my Worldview essay back today!

PostPosted by Starmage21 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:21 pm

FUCK YEAH dude! Shame I didnt see this threat until just now.
Starmage21
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Palladium

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:52 pm

Thanks man.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.

PostPosted by Zamion » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:17 am

good job dude
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

Favorite System: ahhhh shadowrun

PostPosted by shanerm09 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:05 am

I read your essay about the Worldview and it was great. In this essay I hope to explain my understanding of what a worldview is and how specific beliefs that I have. It has shaped my education and learning.
shanerm09
1st Level Peasant
1st Level Peasant

Favorite System: windows xp

Return to Politics/Religion!