DCU Online

Lets talks about PS gaming!

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

DCU Online

PostPosted by Logan the Defiant » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:21 pm

Who's getting this when it comes out? I plan to.

http://dcuo.station.sony.com/
Logan the Defiant
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Palladium

Re: DCU Online

PostPosted by NulSyn » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:24 pm

I'd pay for Champions Online before DC. I was never a huge DC fan.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Logan the Defiant » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:54 pm

I'm not a big DC fan either. Make mine Marvel! However, I'm not sure how paying is going to work for this one. It's being released on the PS3 and since the beginning Sony hasn't charged for any of their online game content. I don't see them starting with this game either.
Logan the Defiant
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by NulSyn » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:06 pm

Logan the Defiant wrote:I'm not a big DC fan either. Make mine Marvel! However, I'm not sure how paying is going to work for this one. It's being released on the PS3 and since the beginning Sony hasn't charged for any of their online game content. I don't see them starting with this game either.

It won't be Sony charging it'll be the company making it, I can almost guarentee. Just because Sony doesn't charge for their service doesn't mean they can or will make the specific games companies not charge for their content if they want. And if its Sony behind it, I bet they use a sub to charge for it.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Logan the Defiant » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:10 am

That would be a major drawback for the game though if they charge considering it's a PS3 exclusive. PS3 players have already paid enough for the consoles, and I don't see them paying to play DCU. With Sony not giving a price cut any time soon, I just don't see them, or the company making the game, charging.

Edit: The game is being published by Sony and developed by one of it's game divisions so even if it is a pay to play I don't see it costing that much.
Logan the Defiant
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by NulSyn » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Logan the Defiant wrote:That would be a major drawback for the game though if they charge considering it's a PS3 exclusive. PS3 players have already paid enough for the consoles, and I don't see them paying to play DCU. With Sony not giving a price cut any time soon, I just don't see them, or the company making the game, charging.

Edit: The game is being published by Sony and developed by one of it's game divisions so even if it is a pay to play I don't see it costing that much.

Its going to be on PC also. And from what I see everyone expects it to be subscription based, Square Enix has also basically said to expect FF14 to be subscription based too......so I believe its going to be like I said. Just because the PSN is free doesn't mean every game will be on it will be.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Logan the Defiant » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:49 pm

They have been to date...
Logan the Defiant
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by NulSyn » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Logan the Defiant wrote:They have been to date...

Have any of them been MMO's?
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Logan the Defiant » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:58 pm

NulSyn wrote:

Well, Free Realms (an MMO made by Sony) has been free since it started up 3 months ago and it's already reached 5 million subscribers. With that, I don't see a reason why they would charge for DCUO.
Logan the Defiant
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by NulSyn » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:18 pm

Logan the Defiant wrote:
NulSyn wrote:

Well, Free Realms (an MMO made by Sony) has been free since it started up 3 months ago and it's already reached 5 million subscribers. With that, I don't see a reason why they would charge for DCUO.

umm. Free Realms is a really bad free2play model, meaning. If you only use the Free level account, you don't get to play a tremendous amount of the content. The pay accounts get full access to everything including the powerful items, powerful pets, and even enviroment and location areas free accounts can't go to. So not exactly a definition of Free.

So yeah it has a free "level", but if you want to play the full game, you pay a subscription fee.

Not too mention its not even out yet for the PS3 to use it as an example.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Logan the Defiant » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:56 am

You know. I've had some pretty shitty things happen to me in my life and pretty recently to. I had an infant daughter die in 2003, my wife dies in 2006 and I find out that our marriage was basically a lie, and then only a few months later I'm forced out of the Navy for an extra 1/2 inch on my waiste. I'm not exactly positive yet as I'm still working on a few things, but if I was as negative as you are, just to spite people, I think I would blow my fucking brains out.
Logan the Defiant
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by NulSyn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:26 pm

Logan the Defiant wrote:You know. I've had some pretty shitty things happen to me in my life and pretty recently to. I had an infant daughter die in 2003, my wife dies in 2006 and I find out that our marriage was basically a lie, and then only a few months later I'm forced out of the Navy for an extra 1/2 inch on my waiste. I'm not exactly positive yet as I'm still working on a few things, but if I was as negative as you are, just to spite people, I think I would blow my fucking brains out.

umm okay. Where am I negative? I am just talking about how it works. There's nothing personal in any of my messages. I am sorry if subscription fees hit you in your heart or something. But fact is they exist and are the mode for MMO's, over 90% of the time. Show me any spite in my posts.

If you think me expecting DCU to have a subscription fee is worth comparing to two dead family members.....I am not the one with issues.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Logan the Defiant » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:31 pm

Where are you negative and showing spite? Um, in the tone of every response to a comment of mine maybe?

If you think me expecting DCU to have a subscription fee is worth comparing to two dead family members.....I am not the one with issues.

I don't know where the hell you got this out of what I said. I was speaking to the level of negativity that you show.
Logan the Defiant
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by NulSyn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:43 pm

Logan the Defiant wrote:Where are you negative and showing spite? Um, in the tone of every response to a comment of mine maybe?

I don't know where the hell you got this out of what I said. I was speaking to the level of negativity that you show.

There is no negativity or spite. You said you weren't sure how the pay model would go. I simply posted what is the "norm" in the industry and stated that even Square Enix has stated FF14, which will be on the PS3 will have subscription fees.

I could be wrong, it could all end up being free and there will be much rejoicing, but based on precendence that's now how the industry works. I am just being realistic, not destroy shiny happy thoughts.

As to where the hell I got the comparison. You brought up two dead family members and all your "woe is me talk" to compare my (imagined) negativity and spite in a thread about Video Games, saying if you were me you'd commit suicide. And you don't see how this is screwed up? How that leads people to think you have issues? So far everyone I have asked who has read this thread doesn't know where your getting the idea I was trying to be spiteful or negative.

I also find it funny that someone who has been on the internet as long as you Logan, and all the wars you have with Palladium....would believe you can read "tone" into my comments, a complaint you have had against some Pally posters having done to you, putting "tone" into comments thats not there.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Logan the Defiant » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:24 pm

Let me illustrate the tone and negativity of your posts by simplification:

Me: I don't think they're going to charge.

You: Yes they will.

Me: They haven't charged or anything before.

You: They will for this.

Me: Well they don't charge for this.

You: That sucks. They will for this.

Dude, I even conceded that if they did make it pay for play I didn't think they would charge that much and you still "Yes they will".

To explain, apparently in required simpler terms, I was bringing up the things that have happened in my life that would generate a great ammount of negativity and pessimism. I then took that reference of negativity and pessimism and compared it to your own. Finding your negativity and pessimism that you relate in most posts that I've seen you make lately to be greater than mine, I made the statement that I made. The fact that in every reply to a comment I made you set yourself out to disqualify my statement illustrates the spite I was referring to.

For the record, I know I have issues, but I'm willing to admit that. As to the people you are talking to about this, as if this is such a hot topic, perhaps they are negative and spiteful people as well.
Logan the Defiant
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by NulSyn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:13 pm

Logan the Defiant wrote:Let me illustrate the tone and negativity of your posts by simplification:

Me: I don't think they're going to charge.

You: Yes they will.

Me: They haven't charged or anything before.

You: They will for this.

Me: Well they don't charge for this.

You: That sucks. They will for this.

Dude, I even conceded that if they did make it pay for play I didn't think they would charge that much and you still "Yes they will".

To explain, apparently in required simpler terms, I was bringing up the things that have happened in my life that would generate a great ammount of negativity and pessimism. I then took that reference of negativity and pessimism and compared it to your own. Finding your negativity and pessimism that you relate in most posts that I've seen you make lately to be greater than mine, I made the statement that I made. The fact that in every reply to a comment I made you set yourself out to disqualify my statement illustrates the spite I was referring to.

For the record, I know I have issues, but I'm willing to admit that. As to the people you are talking to about this, as if this is such a hot topic, perhaps they are negative and spiteful people as well.

Wow you read this thread entirely different than I did. I see a whole lot of "I believe it will be this way", "almost guarentee" and opinions, I don't see anywhere where I said anything was definite.

Then when you used Free Realms as an example I simply pointed out that technically its not a free for its entire content, you have to subscribe.
Thats when you exploded about negativity and dead family members and such. If you thought I was being spiteful, I'm sorry thats how you look at things because all I was discussing was the TOPIC.

BTW: Not sure if you want to know the truth or not, but I just read PSN's Terms of Service from Sony and there is a whole section (#8) that is deidcated to allowing games to have subscription fees and how they will work such as cancellations times and auto charging.

And with this I will step out of your world. Sorry I made the mistake of talking about my beliefs, opinions and ideas in YOUR topic. From now on I will know that any thread started by you is not one in which people can talk freely without being told they should commit suicide, or have feeling, "tone" or words put in my mouth.

Feel free to read all the negativity and spite you want in this post. You probably already are seeing as you have thought it all along. But I will tell you, its neither, its anger. I don't like people assuming things about me and trying to force "tones" and intentions on me when they are not true. I am me and I know what spirit I wrote the posts in.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:23 pm

Man, what!?

Nully was stating a theory about how things work--not being spiteful or negative.

I'm really not sure which part could have looked like that.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

Favorite System: Unisystem
Security: NO

PostPosted by verdilak » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:45 pm

:s_omg :s_omg :s_omg :s_omg :s_omg

Confusion reigns supreme right now for me.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.

PostPosted by The Novastar » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:00 pm

Ummm, most MMORPG's are subscription based, and since it will be competing with the existing "City of Heroes/Villain's" and the upcoming "Champions Online", both paid subscription services, I doubt it'll be free as well.

Though, you know, D&D Online recently surprised me.
The Novastar
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Just One?

PostPosted by NulSyn » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:27 pm

The Novastar wrote:Ummm, most MMORPG's are subscription based, and since it will be competing with the existing "City of Heroes/Villain's" and the upcoming "Champions Online", both paid subscription services, I doubt it'll be free as well.

Though, you know, D&D Online recently surprised me.

I am in the DDO Beta for the free2play model, and its like Free Realms. Free for only so much. I believe it's starting at level 8 that you have to buy levels to advance. A lot of content is pay only. Most of the adventures and missions have to be bought.
That being said the part that is free is fun for a bit, but if your looking for a good game to stick with, expect to shell out money.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Logan the Defiant » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:31 am

I wanted to start here because this is where it all came to a head for me. I apologize for snapping and going off on this subject. I was irritated about a few things that occurred in Game Bashing and transferred them here taking Nul's stance as his disagreeing with me as disagreeing just to disagree. I know I was wrong for thinking that and apologize for my reactions to his posts.

For the record though, Sony has been pretty good about the PS3's free multiplayer game access since it came out. I don't see them making people pay to play DCU, but given that it is an MMO that could change things.
Logan the Defiant
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by NulSyn » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:53 pm

Logan the Defiant wrote:I wanted to start here because this is where it all came to a head for me. I apologize for snapping and going off on this subject. I was irritated about a few things that occurred in Game Bashing and transferred them here taking Nul's stance as his disagreeing with me as disagreeing just to disagree. I know I was wrong for thinking that and apologize for my reactions to his posts.

For the record though, Sony has been pretty good about the PS3's free multiplayer game access since it came out. I don't see them making people pay to play DCU, but given that it is an MMO that could change things.

Look man, there is no hard feelings from me. Everybody has bad days and times when they misconstrue things especially online. The people that know me well on here, know I am not the type to do anything out of spite or mean-ness. So what's done is in the past.

I actually hope your right about DCU though, it would take leaps and bounds to me towards fixing a lot of the bad decisions Sony has recently made if they kept even the MMOs free on PSN. Still though the #8 clause in the Terms of Service makes me think they'll botch it, which would be a shame. Guess we'll see?
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

Return to Playstation (1, 2, 3, ect.)