Puzzles

Forum Games, Flash Games, Board Games; Any type of non-RPG games go here.

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

Puzzles

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Think of a familiar phrase in five words that means "tongue-tied." One word in it has one letter, one word has two letters, one has three, one has four and one has five — though not necessarily in that order. What is the phrase?
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Puzzles

PostPosted by Aluman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:10 pm

I think I have it.
At (2)
A (1)
Loss (4)
For (3)
words (5)
At a loss for words.
Shazbot Says "If you can't learn how to swallow under duress, you'll never make it in show business."
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Yup, thats the answer

Try this one on for size...

Name a female host of a popular TV program. Rearrange the letters of her first name to name a god in mythology. Rearrange the letters in her last name to name a type of god that this god is not. Who is the TV host and what are the anagrams?
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Aluman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:35 pm

Took me a moment as I got stuck on Martha Stewart

Suze Orman
Suze = Zeus

Orman = Roman.
Zeus is the Greek name for it, Jupiter would be the roman.

(I got stuck on Martha Stewart)
Shazbot Says "If you can't learn how to swallow under duress, you'll never make it in show business."
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:16 pm

:s_thumbsup
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Aluman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:06 pm

So what you wanted me to answer the NPR puzzle for you? :P *looked it up*
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:10 pm

No, was just getting them from their page and already figured them out. And i thought it would be fun heh
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Aluman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:22 pm

Ahhh ok ;).
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:29 pm

though why you got stuck on martha I dont think i want to know lol
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:48 pm

Take the words Atlas Of The World, exchange the "e" for an "r", and rearrange the letters to form two related cities.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Aluman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:47 pm

Dallas Fort Worth. I believe.
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:52 pm

Bah, no more NPR puzzles for you!
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Aluman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:01 pm

:s_biggrin
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by Aluman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:07 pm

Martha = Ramah+T I kept in my mind dropping the T.

Dallas/Ft. Worth is one of two famous twin cities of the US (The other being Minnapolis/St.Paul) two 'closely related' cities made me think of that sooo....
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by Rayven » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:56 am

I'm bored, so I'm going to post 2.

1) What is the largest amount of money you can have, in coins, without being able to make change for a dollar?

2) A master logician takes a set of 8 stamps, 4 red and 4 green, known to the student logicians, and loosely affixes two to the forehead of each logician, and places the remaning two in his pocket. Each logician can see all the other stamps except those 2 in the master's pocket and the two on her own head. He asks them in turn if they know the colors of their own stamps:
A: "No."
B: "No."
C: "No."
A: "No."
B: "Yes."
What are the colors of her stamps, and what is the situation?
STARE INTO MY EYES FOREVER
LET ME TAKE YOU IN MY ARMS
DANCE WITH ME OUT IN THE GARDEN
WHERE TOMORROW NEVER COMES
FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARKNESS
WHERE THE NIGHTMARES NEVER FADE
WHISPER DREAMS MY FALLEN ANGEL
FROM WHICH YOU WILL NEVER WAKE
Religion starts wars. Spirituality ends them

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

Location: Cubicle greyness...I'm surrounded by false intelligence!
Favorite System: Any

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:10 am

1st one is easy... 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and 4 pennies.
2nd one still has me a bit stumped at the moment.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:06 am

B would have to have a green-red combination, because if B had red-red and another person had red-red then either C or A would have known that the red's were used and then one of them must have had green-green. Here is how I think it would be...

A = Green-Red
B = Green-Red
C = Red-Red
Pocket = Green-Green
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Rayven » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:29 am

Ding! There's no way to actually know what A, C, and pocket are (your guess is as good as any).

Next puzzle:

Three logicians wish to see who is the smartest amongst them. They have the Master Logician set up a puzzle for them. The Master takes the 3 into a room and shows them 5 hats that are identical, save that 3 are black and 2 are white. He turns off the lights, places a hat on the head of each logician, then proceeds to hide the other two from their view. Before the lights are turned back on, one of the logicians says "I know what color hat I have on." He is correct in his guess. What color is the hat, and how did he know?

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by Aluman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:50 am

The other two have white hats, and there is natural light coming in from a window so the logician can see.
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by Rayven » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:11 pm

Uh. No. At least, canonically, no. Yes, he's wearing a black hat, but it has nothing to do with lighting.

The important thing in this riddle is that all logicians had equal chances to win. If one of them had been given a black hat and the other white hats, the one with black hat would immediately have known his color (unlike the others). So 1 black and 2 white hats is not a fair distribution.
If there had been one white and two black hats distributed, then the two with black hats would have had advantage. They would have been able to see one black and one white hat and supposing they had been given white hat, then the one with black hat must at once react as in the previous situation. However, if he had remained silent, then the guys with black hats would have known that they wear black hats, whereas the one with white hat would have been forced to eternal thinking with no clear answer. So neither this is a fair situation.
That’s why the only way of giving each master an equal chance is to distribute hats of one color – so 3 black hats.

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by Rayven » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:20 pm

New one;

Ralph developed an ominous sequence. It makes no sense at all. There’s nobody, I repeat, nobody, that has understood how he made it. Nobody ever will, but Ralph, unless you apply all your logical thinking to solve this sequence:

9, 22, 24, 12, 3…

What are the next two numbers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<there is a hint located within the paragraph at the top>

(You probably won't need the hint, but it's funner looking for it.)

Spoiler:
I stole this from another forum, and copied it verbatim, so don't ask me what the hint in the paragraph is

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:33 pm

hmm... 13, 2, 12, 9...

I want to say the sequence is

13, 2, 12, 9, 11, 3, 10, and so on... but that will bring in negative numbers which aren't normally apart of said brain teasers, though if so, it would mean the next numbers are -8 and -5, but I am pretty sure i am wrong in that regard...

That might be too easy of an answer.

Maybe it's letters... 9, 22, 24, 12, 3 = I, V, X, L, C no, that won't make sense because there is still the sequence..

Well, if that isnt the answer I am stumped without a hint or something heh.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Rayven » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:54 pm

Uhh...where the hell are you getting that sequence? 9, 22, 24, 12 3 is what I posted....where did you come up with 13, 2, 12, 9?

I'll give you one hint: There are a TOTAL of 6 numbers in the sequence I posted. I gave you the first 4. Find the last 2.

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Rayven wrote:Uhh...where the hell are you getting that sequence? 9, 22, 24, 12 3 is what I posted....where did you come up with 13, 2, 12, 9?

I'll give you one hint: There are a TOTAL of 6 numbers in the sequence I posted. I gave you the first 4. Find the last 2.

13, 2, 12, 9 are the numbers between what you gave. 9 and 22, they are 13 numbers apart. 22 and 24, 2 numbers apart. 24 and 12 are 12 numbers apart. 12 and 3 are 9 numbers apart. It's the first thing you normally do with a number sequence to find the pattern.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:28 pm

Alright, since I guessed 2 of Rayven's correctly and am currently stumped, here is my next Puzzle for you guys while I keep on working on Rayven's sequence puzzle.

Q1. Which is the first question where c) is the correct answer

a) Q3
b) Q4
c) Q1
d) Q2

Q2. Which is the first question where a) is the correct answer

a) Q4
b) Q2
c) Q3
d) Q1

Q3. Which is the first question where d) is the correct answer

a) Q1
b) Q2
c) Q4
d) Q3

Q4. Which is the first question where b) is the correct answer

a) Q2
b) Q4
c) Q3
d) Q1
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Rayven » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:30 pm

verdilak wrote:Maybe it's letters... 9, 22, 24, 12, 3 = I, V, X, L, C[snip]

Well, if that isnt the answer I am stumped without a hint or something heh.

Here's your requested hint. You're right so far there.

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:46 pm

Rayven wrote:I'll give you one hint: There are a TOTAL of 6 numbers in the sequence I posted. I gave you the first 4. Find the last 2.

Actually, you gave me five, so there is a total of 7 number.

And with the last hint... lets see...

ROMAN NUMERALS! Thats what it is.... so the answer is D and M, or 4 and 13.

Took me a good second look to find it.

Now THAT was a stumper. :s_thumbsup
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Rayven » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:04 pm

You are correct.

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:08 pm

verdilak wrote:Q1. Which is the first question where c) is the correct answer

a) Q3
b) Q4
c) Q1
d) Q2

a) Q4
b) Q2
c) Q3
d) Q1

a) Q1
b) Q2
c) Q4
d) Q3

a) Q2
b) Q4
c) Q3
d) Q1

Any ideas yet?
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Aluman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:44 pm

Rayven wrote:The important thing in this riddle is that all logicians had equal chances to win. If one of them had been given a black hat and the other white hats, the one with black hat would immediately have known his color (unlike the others). So 1 black and 2 white hats is not a fair distribution.

'cept you didn't say they had equal chances :P.
If there had been one white and two black hats distributed, then the two with black hats would have had advantage. They would have been able to see one black and one white hat and supposing they had been given white hat, then the one with black hat must at once react as in the previous situation. However, if he had remained silent, then the guys with black hats would have known that they wear black hats, whereas the one with white hat would have been forced to eternal thinking with no clear answer. So neither this is a fair situation.
That’s why the only way of giving each master an equal chance is to distribute hats of one color – so 3 black hats.

Had I been told they had equal chances to win, then of course black hats all around.
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by Aluman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:50 pm

Rayven wrote:New one;

Ralph developed an ominous sequence. It makes no sense at all. There’s nobody, I repeat, nobody, that has understood how he made it. Nobody ever will, but Ralph, unless you apply all your logical thinking to solve this sequence:

9, 22, 24, 12, 3…

What are the next two numbers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<there is a hint located within the paragraph at the top>

(You probably won't need the hint, but it's funner looking for it.)

Spoiler:
I stole this from another forum, and copied it verbatim, so don't ask me what the hint in the paragraph is

4,13 Each number corresponds to a letter in the alphabet which is also a roman numeral: I,V,X,L,C,D,M
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by Aluman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:56 pm

verdilak wrote:
verdilak wrote:Q1. Which is the first question where c) is the correct answer

a) Q3
b) Q4
c) Q1
d) Q2

D Q2 Originally C Q1 was the right answer but see following logic....

a) Q4
b) Q2
c) Q3
d) Q1

Well we can rule out A and B for obvious reasons for C to be the right Answer 1 to we get C Q3 being right for A). Which as we see rules out C). (question 1) being the right answer to Question1.

a) Q1
b) Q2
c) Q4
d) Q3

We know that the answer to this is Q1. This nessictates Question 1's answer being D. (question 2) which meansi t has to be C Question 3. since the three of them form a loop that leaves one answer for question 4.

a) Q2
b) Q4
c) Q3
d) Q1

Any ideas yet?[/quote]
Which is B). Q4.

To summary
1. D
2. C
3. A
4. B
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:14 pm

A Number Pyramid is composed of the 10 different numbers 0-9 with a top row of 1 number resting on a second row of 2 sitting on a third row of 3 supported by a bottom row of 4. For example, a Number Pyramid could be:

....1 2
...3 4 5
..6 7 8 9

So, can you figure it would with whats below?

1. The number at the apex of the pyramid minus the leftmost number in row 4 equals 7.
2. The middle number in row 3 minus the rightmost number in row 3 equals 4.
3. The four numbers in row 4 sum to 8.
4. In row 2, the rightmost number minus the leftmost number equals 1.
5. The apex and rightmost numbers in rows 2, 3, and 4 sum to 25.
6. 1 and 2 are not next to each other in the pyramid.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Rayven » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Aluman wrote:
Rayven wrote:The important thing in this riddle is that all logicians had equal chances to win. If one of them had been given a black hat and the other white hats, the one with black hat would immediately have known his color (unlike the others). So 1 black and 2 white hats is not a fair distribution.

'cept you didn't say they had equal chances :P.

True, but as this is a logic puzzle, that's generally implied.

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by Aluman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:32 pm

No its not :s_tongue, though natural light remains a valid answer :s_biggrin
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

Return to Games!