I Am Legend

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

I Am Legend

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:18 pm

The book is nothing at all like the movie that was supposedly based on it; it is a completely different story, and a very good one. You can't go in expecting to see any of the character portrayed by Will Smith in the protagonist at all--I was pleasantly surprised that i hadn't gone in knowing what to expect. It is VERY brief; the title story was 160 pages in my copy, but the short stories that followed carry the same dark-but-to-the-point feel. The main character is clearly tortured by his situation, but there is none of the "emo" drama that has become so popular in modern horror stories. Just a man that does what he must to survive another day. I enjoyed this book as a whole, and may have just found my new favorite author.

Richard Matheson has been described as "schizophrenic" in his writing style, and i can understand how some readers would think so, but his stories are so brief, there's barely time to get lost in them. i personally appreciate how he tells the story and moves on; there is no lingering on inane detail. He *gasp* leaves some things to the imagination of the reader.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

Favorite System: Unisystem
Security: NO

Re: I Am Legend

PostPosted by Aluman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:36 pm

I always enjoyed the book, the Smith adaptation came closer than Omega Man or the previous I am Legend, both also supposedly based on it, but really REALLY sucked (especially Omega Man)
Shazbot Says "If you can't learn how to swallow under duress, you'll never make it in show business."
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Aluman wrote:I always enjoyed the book, the Smith adaptation came closer than Omega Man or the previous I am Legend, both also supposedly based on it, but really REALLY sucked (especially Omega Man)

Agreed, while the Smith version is far from the story it does come the closest out of all the other tries.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Aluman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:37 pm

And unlike the others is entertaining to me.
Shazbot Says "If you can't learn how to swallow under duress, you'll never make it in show business."
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by Chick » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:30 am

hippie_mama wrote:Richard Matheson has been described as "schizophrenic" in his writing style, and i can understand how some readers would think so, but his stories are so brief, there's barely time to get lost in them. i personally appreciate how he tells the story and moves on; there is no lingering on inane detail. He *gasp* leaves some things to the imagination of the reader.

Exactly what I look for in a story. I rarely find a reader that doesn't get caught up rambling on about the way the sun catches the ladies hair and how the clouds seemed to be playing on the summit of some mountain. I mean, who gives a shit? Get on with it already
Chick
Darth Annoyus
Darth Annoyus

Favorite System: D&Dv3.5 & Star Wars Saga

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:31 pm

Too often i find myself reading through long descriptions of things, and either become distracted that i can't visualize what the author is trying to express, or frustrated because the description comes too late, and i've already attributed a certain visual to the character, and it's contradictory. Matheseon rarely describes much about his characters--if anything it's hair color, whether they're tall or short, and if they have a tan or not. That's about it. The rest you have to form in your own mind based on what they have to say. There's some mystery there. I like that the unimportant stuff is left to the reader's interpretation.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

Favorite System: Unisystem
Security: NO

PostPosted by Rayven » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:45 pm

That's why I like Spider Robinson's "Callahan" series. I've read 8 books and still don't know what Jake is supposed to look like.
STARE INTO MY EYES FOREVER
LET ME TAKE YOU IN MY ARMS
DANCE WITH ME OUT IN THE GARDEN
WHERE TOMORROW NEVER COMES
FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARKNESS
WHERE THE NIGHTMARES NEVER FADE
WHISPER DREAMS MY FALLEN ANGEL
FROM WHICH YOU WILL NEVER WAKE
Religion starts wars. Spirituality ends them

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

Location: Cubicle greyness...I'm surrounded by false intelligence!
Favorite System: Any

Return to Books!