PaperBack Swap

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

PaperBack Swap

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:41 pm

Has anyone tried this? It seems simple, but i wonder how well it really works out, how often you can find books you really want, etc.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

Favorite System: Unisystem
Security: NO

Re: PaperBack Swap

PostPosted by Rayven » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Never tried that one, but I wouldn't trust it too terribly. Mainly because you have to rely on people actually going to the post office and mailing you shit...for free.

I have used bookcrossing.com, but only to find drop points. I have *ahem* acquired books from book crossing drop points without updating on the site that I took them, and I have half a dozen friends who do the same. Even still, knowing that there is a bookshelf at the coffee shop at X address encourages me to go to said coffee shop and patronize them while perusing their free shit.

But yeah, as far as paperbackswap goes, I'm not saying don't do it, just don't expect anything with any sort of expediance.
STARE INTO MY EYES FOREVER
LET ME TAKE YOU IN MY ARMS
DANCE WITH ME OUT IN THE GARDEN
WHERE TOMORROW NEVER COMES
FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARKNESS
WHERE THE NIGHTMARES NEVER FADE
WHISPER DREAMS MY FALLEN ANGEL
FROM WHICH YOU WILL NEVER WAKE
Religion starts wars. Spirituality ends them

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

Location: Cubicle greyness...I'm surrounded by false intelligence!
Favorite System: Any

PostPosted by PhishStyx » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:53 pm

I was in a Star Trek club that tried something similar, but we found that it cost about as much to send the book through the mail as it did simply to buy a new book.
"Hail to the Burger King, Baby! Ook! Ook!" -Anastas

"That's not school. That's Schoolhouse Rock." - Sam Winchester

"Going to war over religion is basically killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend." - Richard Jeni

USS Lynx | Currently Running: Shadowrun with Online Game Support
PhishStyx
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Classic Unisystem (WitchCraft)

PostPosted by Rayven » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:07 am

Just checked the site, and they actually require you to list 10 of your own books in order to be able to swap, and require you to pay the postage any time someone wants one of your books. I have an issue with that. I'd rather have the option of having a trial where you get X number (say, 2) before having to join. For example, there is one book on that site that I want and can't find locally...so it'd be awesome to get it, but i'd prefer to either have the option of a one-shot usage of the site or pay the person who has it instead of listing 10 books from my collection to get the one book that I want, and then being required to pay for other people to have the 10 books I list.
STARE INTO MY EYES FOREVER
LET ME TAKE YOU IN MY ARMS
DANCE WITH ME OUT IN THE GARDEN
WHERE TOMORROW NEVER COMES
FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARKNESS
WHERE THE NIGHTMARES NEVER FADE
WHISPER DREAMS MY FALLEN ANGEL
FROM WHICH YOU WILL NEVER WAKE
Religion starts wars. Spirituality ends them

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

Location: Cubicle greyness...I'm surrounded by false intelligence!
Favorite System: Any

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:52 am

I'm giving it a shot; i have several boxes of unwanted books, so while i might be out the shipping fees if it goes badly, it would still get said books out of my way. I also discovered i can pull my books and walk away at any time, so long as i mail the ones already promised. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :s_smile
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:08 am

So far this is going really well.

I posted 50 books, and put my account on hold for 10 days while i was out of town (only ran into one minor problem with this, which was due to inexperience--it won't be a problem next time). Still, i have already sent out 9 books, received credits for 6 of them (the others were going farther and probably haven't arrived yet), and received 2 books that i've wanted for a long time. I'm spending between $2.30 and $4 on shipping for the books i send (most of them are hardback), which is still far less than half of the cover price on the books i've ordered, which is what i would be paying at any used book store around here.

The selection is hit-or-miss. There is a lot of stuff listed, so a quick browse is all it takes to find *something* any reader would want, but looking for specific titles has been a little bit disappointing. However, there is a waiting list feature that you can use if you input a title or ISBN of something you really want; you can either auto-request the book for the moment it's available, or just put it on a watch list. Either way, you can watch where you are on the list to help determine if you really want to horde up credits for them or not: i'm #88 of 89 waiting for Soon I Will Be Invincible and #291 of 306 waiting for World War Z, lol.

The other members are very polite; almost all of them have sent a message thanking me for the book i sent, and all that i have sent messages to have replied promptly. I haven't felt cheated yet, by a sender or a receiver, which i cannot say about ebay or most businesses i've ordered products from online.

I'm happy with this so far, and highly recommend it.
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

PostPosted by Mierin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:23 pm

Hmmm... I wonder if this is just in the US? (tried to sign up but it's all US states.. no provinces)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Mierin
Forum Dominatrix
Forum Dominatrix

PostPosted by hippie_mama » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:53 am

The FAQ wrote:At present, we are a US-only club.

* PBS members must be able to receive mail at an address served by USPS.
* The PaperBackSwap system uses Media Mail postal rates provided by the USPS.
* Media Mail rates are good for:
o all 50 US states
o US territories and commonwealths (American Samoa, Guam and the Virgin Islands; Washington, D.C., the Northern Mariana Islands and Puerto Rico),
o APO/FPO addresses
o If you live in any of these areas, you can belong to PBS.

We've had requests for international membership from all around the world.

* Eventually, we hope to expand.
* We have had a LOT of requests from Canada!
o We have been working on shipping issues regarding the Canadian postal system. Until we work these out, we will not be able to trade across borders with our system.

...but surely there's a Canadian site out there that does something similar. :s_dunno
hippie_mama
Creep Magnet
Creep Magnet

Return to Books!