geekish question

Manga, Webcomics, DC, Marvel, you name it!

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

geekish question

PostPosted by Pyriel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:16 pm

okay, i know this sounds weird, but i post this question just to see a funny discussion:
who would win in a fight, Wolverine or Cable?(read parameters)

i will set some parameters so the argument will be (well, somewhat) serious.
1: the characters have agreed to fight to the death (i.e. not running and planning to strike back etc.)
2:Cable has no mutant powers, only his cybernetics & experience.(with his powers, he is nearly a god;even marvel writers usually use him unable to use powers for different reasons at a time cause the level of his powers is disturbing to say the least)
3.Wolverine, we assume he feels pain(in the comics, massive damage has even caused him to faint or whatever in some cases; it is also said that some parts of him hurt more when in healing than when wounded)

some clues we have from the comics on how a fight would go:
-we know Wolverine has trained as a soldier, a samurai, a secret agent and generally adventuring for nearly 200 years.
-we know Wolverine's claws can shread anything if they hit.
-we also know Wolverine can move very fast when he gets mad (a la "strike with no thought " deal). we also know a slash in the neck doesnt take him down, though hurts alot.
-when after an all-x-men baseball game in a special issue these two go drink a beer, a panel shows them from afar, their figures dark supposedly due to light & shadows.We see Cable towering over Wolverine not only due to height but also shoulders, muscles etc.
-we know Cable's cybernetic members can lift about 2 tons, as well as reconstruct some parts of the body(after Cable was shot in the head etc.). they also produce a force field and can levitate stuff.
-we know Cable has been in some form of total warfare since he was 5 (seriously) and seems to "gain" an amazing clarity of thought whenever things go to conflict , like he knows nothing else.
-when Wolverine and his team hunted Cable once due to a missunderstanding(recently, in the Messiah compleX storyline), he escaped and also stole their jet(wtf they were carjacked!)

so what do you guys think?
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Classic, but Cinematic is cool.

Re: geekish question

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:21 pm

it would be a hard go for either of them, but if they were both in their zone, angry, ect. I think Wolverine would win.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

PostPosted by Rayven » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:24 pm

I think Stan Lee would win.
STARE INTO MY EYES FOREVER
LET ME TAKE YOU IN MY ARMS
DANCE WITH ME OUT IN THE GARDEN
WHERE TOMORROW NEVER COMES
FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARKNESS
WHERE THE NIGHTMARES NEVER FADE
WHISPER DREAMS MY FALLEN ANGEL
FROM WHICH YOU WILL NEVER WAKE
Religion starts wars. Spirituality ends them

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

Location: Cubicle greyness...I'm surrounded by false intelligence!
Favorite System: Any

PostPosted by Pyriel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:34 pm

Rayven wrote:I think Stan Lee would win.

LOL! now thats what i'm talking about :)

some info of the characters to help (from the uncanyxmennet):

FOR WOLVERINE:
Universe/Timeline: Marvel Universe
Current Status: Active
Additional Status Info: X-Men, X-Force, New Avengers, and the world at large
Categorization: Mutant

Aliases: Logan, Weapon X I, Weapon Ten, Patch, Death V, Hand of God, Mai'Keth, Emilio Garra
Nationality: Canadian
First Appearance: Incredible Hulk (2nd series) #180
Powers and Abilities:
enhanced strength, speed, agility, stamina, and reflexes, hyper-keen senses, healing factor, adamantium skeleton and retractable claws

Affiliations:
X-Men, Avengers, CIA, Department H, Fantastic Four, Four Horsemen, Grandmaster Champions, Hydra, Team X, Weapon Plus Program, Weapon X Program I, X-treme Sanctions Executive, X-Force III

FOR CABLE:
Universe/Timeline: Askani Timeline / Marvel Universe
Categorization: Other
Aliases: Nathan Dayspring Askani'son, Chosen One, Nathan Winters, Traveler
Nationality: American
First Appearance: Uncanny X-Men #201

Powers and Abilities:
FORMER:telekinesis allows him to levitate, project psionic force blasts and energy fields, and manipulate matter with the power of his mind, techno-organic symbiote has fitted him with a cybernetic arm and eye:
techno-organic symbiote has co-opted the left side of his body, granting him cybernetic parts with superhuman strength, infrared vision, retractable ion blade, cyberjack for inferfacing with computer systems, incorporated tech from the Dominus Objective which allows him to access the infonet to mentally assimilate and transfer electronic information, the Cone of Silence gravimetric shield generator that produces a sheath of force he can manipulate like telekinesis to levitate himself, form protective barriers or manipulative fields to grab and hold solid matter, and bodyslide technology allowing him to teleport across the planet's surface

Affiliations:
X-Men, New Mutants, Askani, Clan Askani, Clan Chosen, Secret Avengers, Six Pack, The Twelve, Wild Pack, X-Force, Cable's Underground
Check also the Cable Spotlight
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by NulSyn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:48 pm

In X-cutioner's Song don't you also learn that Cable's cybernetic parts are made of the fully developed(in the future) carbonadium, the malleable adamantium Omega Red was a product of in the present?
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Pyriel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:50 pm

LOL! cant remember that, but if that's true, then i bet there are hard... really hard...
Edit:Come to think of it, despite being shot inthe head, and other wounds... Cable's mech parts have NEVAH EVAH been damaged in the least... you might be right...
*powergamer cable takes a left guard so wolvie only sees to hit his indestructible mech parts LOL*
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by Rayven » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Geekout time.
Pyriel wrote:FOR WOLVERINE:
Real Name: James Howlett this is debatable, per the Origin comics in the late 90's. Wolverine was a slave on a plantation, and had no name. This is where the alias of Patch came from. Howlett was the last name of his "master" which he assumed when Victor Creed freed him
Universe/Timeline: Marvel Universe
Additional Status Info: X-Men, X-Force, New Avengers, and the world at large
Categorization: Mutant

Aliases: Logan, Weapon X I, Weapon Ten, Patch, Death V, Hand of God, Mai'Keth, Emilio Garra
Nationality: Canadian
First Appearance: Incredible Hulk (2nd series) #180 this is only a technicality. His *hand* appeared in the last panel on the last page of Hulk 180. Wolverine didn't appear in full until Hulk 181
Powers and Abilities:
enhanced strength, speed, agility, stamina, and reflexes, hyper-keen senses, healing factor, adamantium skeleton and retractable claws

Affiliations:
X-Men, Avengers, CIA, Department H, Fantastic Four, Four Horsemen, Grandmaster Champions, Hydra, Team X, Weapon Plus Program, Weapon X Program I, X-treme Sanctions Executive, X-Force III also S.H.I.E.L.D. if you accept the "Days of Future Now" and "House of M" storylines as canon

FOR CABLE:
Universe/Timeline: Askani Timeline / Marvel Universe
Categorization: Other
Aliases: Nathan Dayspring Askani'son, Chosen One, Nathan Winters, Traveler
Nationality: American
First Appearance: Uncanny X-Men #201

Powers and Abilities:
FORMER:telekinesis allows him to levitate, project psionic force blasts and energy fields, and manipulate matter with the power of his mind, techno-organic symbiote has fitted him with a cybernetic arm and eye:
techno-organic symbiote has co-opted the left side of his body, granting him cybernetic parts with superhuman strength, infrared vision, retractable ion blade, cyberjack for inferfacing with computer systems, incorporated tech from the Dominus Objective which allows him to access the infonet to mentally assimilate and transfer electronic information, the Cone of Silence gravimetric shield generator that produces a sheath of force he can manipulate like telekinesis to levitate himself, form protective barriers or manipulative fields to grab and hold solid matter, and bodyslide technology allowing him to teleport across the planet's surface

Affiliations:
X-Men, New Mutants, Askani, Clan Askani, Clan Chosen, Secret Avengers, Six Pack, The Twelve, Wild Pack, X-Force, Cable's Underground IIRC, he also had an affiliation with the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants for a short period of time when he was hunting Stryfe (his clone), but I am willing to be wrong on that

Also, he's not "over 200 years old." Per the "official" Origin history, he was born in 1890. Still damned old, but not quite 200.

I also seem to remember the Fleer '94 Marvel trading card set having a Wolverine vs. Cable card in it. I'll have to see if I can track that down to be sure.

My money is on Wolverine....mainly because I have an issue of Wolverine from about 16 years ago where he got blown up by a few sticks of dynamite (I believe by Sauron, but I'm only about 40% sure on that) and he re-forms from being literally blown to bits.

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

PostPosted by NulSyn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:00 pm

and he re-forms from being literally blown to bits.

[Bill Shatner ST2 voice]Gods Deadpool.....DEADPOOL!!!!![/Bill Shatner ST2 voice]
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Pyriel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:04 pm

true. i dont know who would win...
-wolvie seems unable to die.
-he CAN(call me magneto) be supressed, however, and cable's technological telekinesis, while not "move planets with thought" like his mutant one, seems powerful enough to pull that one off-if he uses a "cone of silence" force field around wolvie, would wolvie be able to surpass that? and if cable slowly sent wolvie to space or a volcano?(die of suffocation, regenerate to die again etc.).
-i would put my money on wolverine if we find out how he can bypass such telekinetic supression etc.honestly not sure if he can-not sure i doupt he can either.
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:08 pm

NulSyn wrote:

[Bill Shatner ST2 voice]Gods Deadpool.....DEADPOOL!!!!![/Bill Shatner ST2 voice]

Deadpool hasnt tested that out I don't think... though he does spell out stuff with his entrails with Agent X.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

PostPosted by NulSyn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:23 pm

verdilak wrote:
NulSyn wrote:

Deadpool hasnt tested that out I don't think... though he does spell out stuff with his entrails with Agent X.

The fight with Black Swan he was blown up in a big explosion and came back. Anyoen who has been decapititated and came back, or had a grenade go off and blow his stomach open with a big hole and healed in seconds.....I would say gives Logan a run for his money on healing factor.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Rayven » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:20 pm

I've seen Deadpool get perma-dead in an AU where Agent X melts him. But that's neither here nor there. (Days of Future Now, for those who want proof)

Rayven
Not a Platypus
Not a Platypus

Return to Comics!