Map of Serendipity

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

Map of Serendipity

PostPosted by verdilak » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:17 pm

Serendipity is a tourist and college town. To the south of the town at around 30 miles is an airport. Along the eastern road (2nd St SE, which continues off the map to the west) shortly starts to follow a freshwater river about 2 miles out of town, and here is where the cranberry fields are at, which attract a large number of people. It is the only natural, open water port for 600 miles and only one of seven "dolly" ports in the world. There is the Serendipity Lifeboat Station Museum, which features a restored Coast Guard Station, shipwreck memorabilia, and many artifacts from the years when the Coast Guard Station was providing services to ships off one of America's most dangerous headlands. And, just nearby is the Cape Blanco Lighthouse, the oldest and most westerly lighthouse in Oregon.

It has a very active artistic community, with eight art galleries owned and operated by working artists, including some genuinely world-class talents. Plus charming gift shops, a motorcycle museum and a very comfortable movie theatre (with an amazing selection of goodies), and a series of restaurants where you can enjoy creative cuisine, a New York-style Italian trattoria, great diner food, seafood, steaks and what locals believe is the best fish and chips and chowder on the coast. During the summer months, the theatre turns it's back lot into an outdoor theatre with parking and areas in the grass to sit near the ocean and watch movies to the backdrop sound of waves.

Recreation consists of kite flying, beachcombing, camping, fishing, ocean and windsurfing, crabbing, clamming, picnicking, boating, skate boarding, biking, mountain biking, off-roading along the beaches, scuba diving, swimming, hiking... you name it.

SWOTC is a large campus that offers numerous areas of study, including: Teaching (Adult, Children, Special Needs, Blind Students), Biology, Chemistry, Economics, History, Archaeology, Library Science, Mathematics, Physics, Technology, English, Engineering, Visual Arts, Psychology, and many more. They are proud of their sports (football, track, baseball, soccer, swimming) and are picky on who they allow into their fine school.

Cape Blanco Lighthouse was built over 150 years ago, to assist fishing and logging boats to find the shore during the heavy fog that permeates Serendipity on all but the warmest of mornings (the fog is normally burned off by midmorning). There are tours daily for all those who wish to walk around, visit the lantern, and to learn about it's wonderful history.

The Serendipity Lifeboat Station Museum, which features a restored Coast Guard Station, shipwreck memorabilia, and many artifacts from the years when the Coast Guard Station was providing services to ships off one of America's most dangerous headlands. It also features many photographs, family bibles, and detailed histories of settlers to the area, including an entire wing dedicated to the stories of unexplained phenomena that has been experienced in the area.

The Serendipity Museum of the Arts is ran by the Art and Theatre faculty and students, as well as the History and Archeology departments, of SWOTC. It is right across the street from the SWOTC and next door to the Billiards Playhouse Theatre. it holds not only a large collection of artistic works and endeavors, but also a modest, but growing, selection of historical and archeological arifacts with Egyptian, Greek, and Sumerian being the most numerous.

The City Park is often where one might encounter a number of artists working on their latest creation, or street musicians practicing and trying to spread their name, street theatre is also commonplace. meaning, the City park is always occupied by the residents of Serendipity as well as the tourists who come for some R&R and to have a bit of free, clean fun.

However... at night, the park changes to become the home of the transients, the misfits, drunken parties, drug use, and other unsavory behavior.

The beach is the perfect spot to play in nearly any weather. From kite flying to swimming, horseback riding to beachcombing, the spot where the water ends and land begins draws everyone to it.

Sometimes though, beachcombers find something more than they bargained for...

The "official" spot for sand racing is at the Dunes just north of the skate park, though racing occurs all along the beaches to the consternation of the police. This is a pastime of many college students at SWOTC, though with the rash of recent incidents occurring at these races, the city is wondering if they should try and close access points to the beaches.

The Dolly Port is a modern, upgraded dock facility, with an historic and exciting past. Truly, one of the most unique docks in the world. The first incarnation of the Dolly Port was built prior to 1900. Ship captains liked the location because there was no bar to cross and they could pull 400-foot vessels right up to the modest wood slabs that were the original dock.

In 1935, the practice of putting small fishing boats into the water and then lifting them out again with a hoist was initiated. Instead of parking the vessels in the water, something the rough seas won't permit, they are hoisted up and set gently down on a trailer and parked on the surface of the dock. There are less than a half-dozen of these type of docks left in the world.

Not only is the entire Port completely remodeled and modernized, there is a 'floating dock' for sports boats that just want to pull up and tie up. A stairway leads from the floating dock platform to the main dock area. The dock and stairway are retractable and are lifted up in bad weather. In addition, it also holds a fishmonger's market where the best and freshest seafood for miles around can be had. A shipwright outfit that builds and repairs boats completes the Dolly Port.

The Red Lion is across the street from SWOTC at the corner of Oregon Ave and 7th Street. It holds a good assortment of microbrewery beers and some of the best sausages in town. Besides the rather rowdy college crowd that can show up, especially on game days, it is said to be home to more than 3 different ghosts, all of whom died in the Pub itself.

Located across from the campus in 11th Street. Featuring teas from all over the world, the Tea Clancy also specializes in home-made cookies, crumpets, and other delights. Not only a shop, there is a cozy little reading and drinking area that cause many to come here in their free time to just sit, drink, read of surf the internet is warmth, comfort, and the wonderful scents of tea and fresh cookies. The owner also seems to be interested in cats, especially strays, for they are often found throughout the shop.

Located on 10th Street and Franklin Avenue near the College, the Barista's band is one of the local happening coffee shops in Serendipity, which has won the Local Brewers Award 5 years running at the Portland Coffee Awards. Featuring their House Blend, they also host a number of organic, free-trade, and common favorites. Open Mike Night is on Sunday evenings, though it's mostly limited to poetry readings and mediocre college and high school students. Friday's and Saturday's is when the Barista's Band plays, though it's members seem to change every so often leading to a change in musical styles semi-regularly.

Called "the Pit" by the locals, it is located from 9th Street SE all the way to 3rd Street SE. The Ferry Creek First Baptist Church gives inspiration to the residents, while the Ferry Creek Cemetery puts them to rest. The St. Paul's Bowling Alley (refurbished from a catholic private school) is normally busy with many of the older crowd on the weekends, especially since they serve alcohol. The Java Hut is a Starbucks-wannabe where many pre-teens, teens, and soccer mom's get their daily dose of caffeine. Roxies is the best nightclub in Serendipity, with many local bands from all the way up to Portland see as a make it or break it club due to the many record contracts that have occurred there.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Map of Serendipity

PostPosted by PhishStyx » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:06 am

Wow, did you draw that?
"Hail to the Burger King, Baby! Ook! Ook!" -Anastas

"That's not school. That's Schoolhouse Rock." - Sam Winchester

"Going to war over religion is basically killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend." - Richard Jeni

USS Lynx | Currently Running: Shadowrun with Online Game Support
PhishStyx
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Classic Unisystem (WitchCraft)

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:25 am

I edited google maps of 2 cities that I wanted and combined.. so, no... didn't draw it mainly because trying to draw with a mouse sucks (my tablet's pen is broke).
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Pyriel » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:44 am

so, wow! cool map... in the sense that this is a good town to live in imho.
Pyriel
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Classic, but Cinematic is cool.

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:03 am

I wanted to make it interesting... oh, and i didnt put up every single residential home... hopefully you all can just imagine where they would be... $50k-150k would be to the south, east, and north. Apartments and low-income and rental properties would be in the middle to the western edge of the middle. $200k and on up would be along the beach front. Some loft rentals would be available, but would be expensive, which is why many of the older homes along the beachfront have been turned into Bed and Breakfasts.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Return to Serendipity