Turn a PS3 into a SuperComputer!

Lets talks about PS gaming!

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

Turn a PS3 into a SuperComputer!

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:06 am

http://www.ps3cluster.org/index.html
Step 1: Setup/Prerequisites

You will need a PlayStation3 console, a working Internet connection, and a PC to burn disc images. You will also need One(1) blank DVD-R, One(1) blank CD-R, and finally a USB mem stick/thumb-drive.

Step 1a - Download Fedora Core DVD ISO image for PPC, and burn the Fedora Core ISO image to DVD. Fedora Core 8 will do (Note that Fedora 9 or 10 may be ok, just not tested with this set of steps.):

* Fedora 8 (Find a local mirror), (US link)
* Note: For older versions of Fedora you will also need to get the Cell specific kernel AddOn Packages iso here.

Step 1b - Download custom boot image. This was small so we put it on our site here:

* USB Mem Stick Boot Image http://www.ps3cluster.org/distros/PS3.zip
* Unzip the file. This folder called "PS3" should contain the subfolder 'otheros' and the file 'TRANS.TBL'.
* Place this folder on any empty USB thumb drive/memory stick.

Step 1c (Optional) - Get a USB Keyboard (We use a Logitech, but you can search online for others). Note that this is purely optional because (as you will see later) if ssh is correctly configured it will enable remote access/admin to all machines in the cluster.

Pretty friggin sweet!
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: Turn a PS3 into a SuperComputer!

PostPosted by Zamion » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:56 am

yeah the tripple processors in that box are pretty much the shit for certine types of processing...to bad the machines not cheaper or it would be worth buying for them.
Zamion
l_33t
l_33t

Favorite System: ahhhh shadowrun
Security: NO

Return to Playstation (1, 2, 3, ect.)