TrueBlood

Moderators: verdilak, hippie_mama

TrueBlood

PostPosted by yukongil » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:17 pm

anyone here a fan of TrueBlood, the HBO version?

I haven't liked a show this much since Buffy/Angel.

Though I do think it funny that the main character is far from my favorite character.
yukongil
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

Favorite System: Earthdawn

Re: TrueBlood

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:15 pm

I dont have HBO, but I plan on watching it once episodes get online.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

PostPosted by wherditgo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:56 pm

meh...its not an awful idea but the execution is pretty lackluster. not a fan of the actors, dialogue, or general plot.

vampires knowingly living among us, discriminated against for their obvious superiority and set in the rural south. i would get behind that idea all day until i saw it. HBO doesn't make many mistakes but someone dropped the ball here. :s_sad
"I am wearing a vest. If I had no arms it would be a jacket." - Mitch Hedberg
wherditgo
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by yukongil » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:50 am

different strokes for different folks I guess. Other than Souki being a constant bitch (which as I understand it, is against character, as portrayed in the book), I can't think of a single thing I don't like about the show.
Layfeyette is the best character on the show IMO.
yukongil
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by Aluman » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:34 pm

Ok...if I divorce myself from the Southern Vampire Mysteries books, this show is Decent. Paquin wasn't a horrible choice, but meh.

As far as sticking to the books, this is a horrible adaptation of it.
Shazbot Says "If you can't learn how to swallow under duress, you'll never make it in show business."
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Alright... watched the first season and i loved it. I even plan of getting the dvd set soon. Very good, and now I am planning on reading the books. Thanks for the heads up about the show yukon!
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Svartalf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:04 pm

yukongil wrote:anyone here a fan of TrueBlood, the HBO version?

I haven't liked a show this much since Buffy/Angel.

Though I do think it funny that the main character is far from my favorite character.

I had to wait until I could get a subtitled version... initial viewing without proved that I just couldn't follow the dialogues without the help, and while watching miss Paquin's tight derrière might be worth the time by itself, I still like it better when I understand what the frell it's about... now, I'm waiting for an opening in my schedule to watch'em... got a dozen NCIS eps to lodge in, and then a complete Noir (the anime) retrospective and I should have one.
PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Geronimo the Commie Atheist
Svartalf
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Shadowrun

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:10 pm

Just watch the vids from the Chinese vid sites and you'll get them subtitled.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by verdilak » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:46 am

I've read the first book, and watched the entire first season... it wasnt exactly like the book, but i really didnt feel like I learned anything new from the book. All in all, a good story and a good show. And Sookie was portrayed very well in the show.. maybe a touch more bitchy, but not by much.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Chick » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:42 pm

Very impressed with the show so far... hope it leads somewhere good in season 2 like it appears it will. Time will tell. Know nothing of the books
Chick
Darth Annoyus
Darth Annoyus

Favorite System: D&Dv3.5 & Star Wars Saga

PostPosted by yukongil » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:23 pm

I'm dreading season 2. If they've killed Lafayette, I'm not watching it anymore :s_mad
yukongil
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:47 pm

Psst... Spoiler alert

Spoiler:
Lafayette is killed as per the second book, so yeah, he's dead.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Svartalf » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:12 am

I've started on it, but I'm really having a hard time on it, and it takes forever to view even just one episode...

It may have to do with the way they speak... that accent is so shitty there are times I just can't reconstitute the dialogue even with the help of the subtitles, and I have to take those on faith. Do they really speak like that in Louisiana? That and the fact that a lot of the scenario/filming is so conventional if feels like déja vu, and the caracterisation/local color is laid on with a trowel.
Svartalf
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by NulSyn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:08 pm

Having not seen the show.....if you can understand anything their saying Svart...its probably less of an accent than real deep south Louisiana accents. The Creole accent is probably one of the hardest American accents to understand. It often sounds like super fast high influctuating mumbling.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Svartalf » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:40 pm

It doesn't sound so high speed to me, but is sure is mumbled... 2 or 3 syllables mashed together into complete indistinct sounds... As I say, even with the French subtitles, I often can't backtranslate into the original text. Constant reminder why I definitely prefer EST when I can get it.
Svartalf
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by NulSyn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:00 pm

Well high speed for the south, in the South most speak with such a ridiculous slow drawl(myself included) that Creole sounds extremely fast for the South.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by Aluman » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:50 pm

Yup the Cajun/Creole accent is almost impossible to pick up on.
Shazbot Says "If you can't learn how to swallow under duress, you'll never make it in show business."
Aluman
l_33t
l_33t

PostPosted by yukongil » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:40 pm

YAY! Lafeyette isn't dead...yet.
yukongil
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by Svartalf » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:17 pm

You mean in the early second season? Drac only knows when I'll get that over here, though it's not a big problem as I guess it will take me like a full 2 weeks to get through the last 5 eps of season 1, and I've got plenty stuff to watch while I wait for the rest to be subtitled and downloaded.
Svartalf
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by Svartalf » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:39 pm

I'm viewing ep 8.
Is it normal that by now I regard both sooki and Jason as terminal moron hicks for whom I can no longer feel any sympathy?
OK, by now, the only surviving character I still have any liking for is Sam... and I don't know if that will last.
Svartalf
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by yukongil » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:17 am

from what I gather Jason is supposed to be that way, Sooki though not so much. I really don't care for Sooki personally in the show, but the actor who plays Jason is just phenomenal with his "lost puppy dog faces", really he has bonehead down to an art.

I still think that if I were Sam, I'd lay a fresh steamer on Bill and Sooki's front porch every morning, though I'd practice until I could shift into a bull elephant or something :s_smile
yukongil
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by Steve Dubya » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:36 pm

yukongil wrote:YAY! Lafeyette isn't dead...yet.

Huzzah indeed:
True Blood fan fave cheats death

True Blood's second-season premiere last week confirmed what many of us had hoped: Series creator Alan Ball opted not to remain faithful to Charlaine Harris' books and spared Lafayette, the fierce, ghetto-fabulous character played by Nelsan Ellis. No one was more relieved by the character's stay of execution than Ellis himself. ''I thought I was a goner,'' the actor confesses. ''[Alan] didn't tell me he was bringing me back until after the table read for [the season 1 finale].'' But Ball says the decision to save Lafayette was made much earlier — during production of the pilot. ''The first time we shot Nelsan, it was obvious that he was a special talent,'' he recalls. ''It was like he was channeling from some alien but deeply hilarious and fascinating planet to which only he had access. I knew at that point the show could not lose him.''
ImageCheck out my Risus Variant:Image
Savage Worlds of Darkness - a conversion from Monte Cook's World of Darkness to Savage Worlds
Steve Dubya
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

Favorite System: Just one??

PostPosted by verdilak » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:47 pm

It wont hurt the show any, since LaFeyette wasn't all that big in the books, but much larger in the show. He's a good actor.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Svartalf » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Well, to me, he sure carries a lot more of the show than the stackhouses or bill do.
Svartalf
9th level Demi-God
9th level Demi-God

PostPosted by Chick » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:21 am

After seeing the first two episodes of season 2 I'm very curious as to what Stackhouse is going to do next.. unpredictable one that one
Chick
Darth Annoyus
Darth Annoyus

PostPosted by yukongil » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:54 pm

poor lafayette
yukongil
4th level Knight
4th level Knight

PostPosted by verdilak » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:23 pm

Still loving this show, even with it's deviations from the books.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Chick » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:52 am

It's the only show on at the moment(that I know of) I look forward to watching, what is it now... two days until it's a torrent. So many big events left hanging!
Chick
Darth Annoyus
Darth Annoyus

PostPosted by verdilak » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:58 am

The books are just as good.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Chick » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:19 am

I have the first across the room waiting to be read, but Katherine Kerr has priority
Chick
Darth Annoyus
Darth Annoyus

Return to TV and Anime!