OpenRPG Information

Want to run a PbC? Just send a Moderator a PM for any PbC forums that you might need. You will then be the moderator for you game forums.
This forum is also for any questions, concerns, or to just talk about PbC games in general.

Moderators: hippie_mama, verdilak

OpenRPG Information

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:44 pm

First off, download OpenRPG.

Once you have done that, and OpenRPG is open, you will need to get onto a server.

To get on a server, click on the Game Server tab up at the top between OpenRPG and the Map tab. Click on Browse Servers and double click on a server.

To create a room you hit the Game Server Menu>Browse Servers> (also Ctrl-B) and create a room name called OpenRPG Fun. Assign an admin pass of fun and check the password box. Make the password for the room fun too. Note a room password is optional. From here you can do all the exercises in the next lessons without disturbing anyone.

Your name when you load the program starts as No Name, but that's not right. To change your name type '/nick Joe' or ''. Your name will change to what you make it. Try it!

If you type ( text) it uses your name in place of (/me) and puts stars around it. This is used in games to announce actions a lot. ((Text in parenthesis is used for OOC talk)). On 1.7 you can also use the OOC plug in and type (/ooc text) that will appear as (( text )).

Before messing with the map or using some features of OpenRPG you must be assigned a role. Your role appears in the player list at the lower left hand side. Your name appears in a color with a number aside it. You start as a lurker, your name in grey. Player is noted by black and GM by red. To change your role highlight your name in the player list, right click and hit assign role. Enter the room pass and select new role. Make yourself a GM for the following lessons.

OK, go to the node loader and double click the Minis node. This is a giant miniature library, a tool used to add minis and even maps to the screen. In a game you may sometimes use a miniature to represent your character on the map screen in a battle. Minis are organized in this node by classes, creatures etc. Expand the Classes section. You will see wheel like symbols (the mini libraries) for classes such as fighters, rogues etc. Pick a class you like and hit the grey wheel. A screen opens with a list. Highlight an item in blue and hit add or addnolabel (adds with no label). A miniature appears on the map screen!

Now press the miniatures tab just below the map screen. It's the 3rd big tab over in the middle of the screen under the map. When on this screen a bar appears where you can insert a url to a mini you post on the web. You then hit add and a miniature appears on the map. Using this address bar is one way to add minis. The other is using the miniature library.

Try adding this mini url to the map:
http://www.mayhemgaming.net/pics/barwench.gif

A bar wench appears ready to serve you. While the miniatures tab is depressed, use your mouse and click on the bar wench. Right click and hit properties. You can now give her a name, says Maria, and change her pixel size by halving the numbers in the pixel box. Hit ok, she will shrink and have a name. You can also highlight a mini by clicking it (the red box appears around it). Now with the red box on the mini click on the map to a new destination point. The mini will move!

If you had to make all the miniatures for your games it would be rough. Fortunately people have been doing just that for some time and are willing to share.

Click the Fighters button on the left and pick a fighter mini. Hold the mouse over it and right click, hit properties. A screen appears, highlight the entire url shown, right click and hit copy. Hit ok on the screen and go back to OpenRPG. Paste your url into the address bar and hit add. Your fighter appears on screen. There are 1000's of minis you can add this way.

Next we'll use the whiteboard tab so depress that. When this feature is on you can draw or write text on the map. If you still have your bar wench on the screen draw a circle around her with your mouse. Drop down and make your line size bigger and draw some more. Then drop down free form and change to text. Add 'My text' to the map. When done hit the background tab.

Select the Background tab. You can use the drop down list to make a background color, image, no image at all or a texture. To insert an image paste in a url from the web much like you would with a miniature except the image is in the back and cannot be moved around. Try pasting this in as an image:
http://porcupinestudio.com/images/11far ... cholls.jpg
Keep your map up for next session: Fog.

Fog mainly works well with OpenRPG 1.70 or better. You should still have your map up as a background from last lesson and your status should be red or GM. Highlight the fog tab. Now right click the map and select Hide All. A gray layer appears over then map meaning you can see it and everyone else sees black. Under the map make sure the radio button is set to show and not hide. Use your mouse and draw a circle on the now grey map. A portion of the map is revealed! This is useful for dungeon delving. Now right click the map and select Remove Fog Layer.

Depress the grid tab. You can change the size from 60 to 20. You can also change the drop down menu from solid lines to dotted or no lines. There is rectangular, isometric and hexagonal grid. When done changing hit apply.

Depress the general tab. From here the default map button always takes you back to that green map with the grid, no matter what you have loaded up at the time. You can also define the map screen size (width and height). You can zoom in and out on the map using controls to the right. Most importantly you can set up a map with maps and minis placed as you like:
Set up your map and minis as desired. Depress General tab. right click the map. Select Save Map. Save it as a file.
Important: To load your map don't load it from the game tree. Hit general tab, right click the map and load map, select your file. Any other way causes a bunch of mini updates and crashing.

This tool is the heart of all node making . To get it, right click 'Game Tree ' at top of the game tree. Insert Features Node. A new node appears. Hit plus to expand its contents.

One of the first things you'll see in the features node is Load Die Roller Notes. Double Click the question mark to that and a new node appears. Click the new grey tabber and a screen appears with tabs explaining basic die rolling as well as all the advanced rollers and how to use them. Have fun!

Next expand the templates section of the features node. You'll see nodes, containers and tools.

Expand the nodes section. There are five node types: text, grid (table), list box, link and web image. You can click each icon in the list to create a new node of that type at the top of your tree. Each node can be right clicked to be saved, cloned (copied) or designed (altered to suit your needs).

Node Design
Expand the containers section next. From here you can create tabbers, splitters, folders and forms. These are all containers. They hold no information. They simply organize the nodes. Folders hold every kind of node and tabber. Tabbers organize text nodes, tables and list boxes into tabs (think back to the die roller node a couple lessons back; it was full of tabbed information). Splitters hold only two nodes and organize information into two sections. Forms hold text and tables. Forms and Tabs can be added on top of one another or stacked.

You should be able to create a new text node now as well as a new tabber. Go under nodes and containers in the features node and click on one of each. Then highlight the text node and drag it on top of the tabber. Select yes when 'add as child' comes up. Your text node is now part of the tabber. This is the essence of how nodes are built. Tabbers can be added to tabbers, text to just about anything. Play with all kinds of nodes adding them to different containers and such.

Right click the text node under that tabber. Hit Design and select multi-line. Close the design mode. Open the text node and add some text to the node.

Now right click your text node and hit design. Clone your text node. Another node like it appears at the top of you tree. It is already multi-line because you cloned it to be that way. Delete the text in the new node and add some new text to it. Add the second text node to your tabber as a child.

Now double click the gray tabber to see how the two text nodes are displayed within it.

Expand the tools section. From here you can create miniature libraries, alias libraries and chat macros. You can also create some character sheets from here too. These tools are not required for proficient knowledge with OpenRPG but are a nice plus. They are most useful for GM's. As such I will expand on these in a later version of the tutorial. For now just know where to go to create tools.

A variety of plug ins are available by selecting the drop down menu and choosing plug ins. Then check off any desired plug ins including the simple initiative tool, spell checker, the out of character chat command and so much more. When you have the plug ins menu up, you can highlight a particular plug in, and hit the plug in information button below to see how the plug in is used and what it does.

By selecting the windows drop down menu and choosing Alias Library you will cause the Alias Library interface to appear. This interface can be used to create and quickly switch identities in chat. One moment your speaking as a goblin, the next your the inn keep. To do this, drop down the alias drop down menu inside the alias library interface. Select New and create a name for your new alias. Repeat, making a few aliases (Inn keep, Joe, DM and goblin). Once this is done double click the orange icon over the main chat entry bar where it says 'Use Real Name'. Drop that menu down and select your alias. Enter text to chat. Repeat same steps for another alias.

You can now shrink the features node or even delete it (right click delete). You can always get it back by right clicking game tree and inserting features node.

OpenRPG is designed with dockable windows used by dropping down the windows menu. Selecting a window other than alias library removes the window (if your not using it at the moment) and selecting a window after its been removed replaces it.

Should your dockable windows ever get out of alignment you can go into C:/Program Files/OpenRPG+/myfiles/ and delete 'layout.xml' . Then reboot OpenRPG and your dockable windows will be back to normal.

OpenRPG is designed to handle sound files such as mp3, midi, au and wav files. The sound file must be on the web for the feature to work. To enter a sound enter the following into chat:
/sound http://www.mayhemgaming.net/sounds/lightning.wav
You should have heard lightning. You can also loop a sound by:
/sound loop http://www.mayhemgaming.net/sounds/lightning.wav

To stop a sound use the tools drop down menu>sound bar> stop. This is a fun feature for playing background music or adding sound to your monster encounters. I have provided a sound library for your use and you can remote load it with the node below this one. Again, give it 1-5 minutes to load after double clicking the loader.

Typically you cannot play sounds in a server lobby and must be assigned a role of player or GM to use the sound command in a room. Be considerate of others when using sounds.

Finding Games online is not that hard, but you have to know where to look. The best place to start is on popular forum boards that coincide with various OpenRPG servers that you will see on the metaserver list everyday (Mayhem Gaming, Tangled Web, Role-Play Refugees, Veav, etc). Another good place to look is the forums at www.openrpg.com.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
To the human body, a spoonful of flour and a spoonful of sugar are identical.
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Favorite System: TS, GG, SoZ, ect.
Security: NO

Re: OpenRPG Information

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:45 pm

A look at some of the options within OpenRPG

Right Clicking on a name will get you:
Boot

Boots a player from the room or server depending on which pass you use.

Toggle Ignore

I played with this thinking it might completely ignore a given player, but I can't get it to actually work.

Whisper

Allows whispering to an individual for private conversation

Whisper Tabs

Allows you to create and add players to a whisper group so you can whisper multiple players at once.

Moderate ON/OFF

Room Moderation ON

Allows so that any lurkers entering may only whisper. Players and GM's may put text in general chat.

Room Moderation OFF

Disallows so that any lurkers entering may only whisper. Players and GM's may put text in general chat.

Give Voice

Gives General Chat ability from one person, say a lurker who is under moderation.

Take Voice

Takes General Chat ability from one person.

Room Controls

Password

Allows you to change the room entry password.

Room Name

Allows you to change the room Name

Assign Roll

Allows GM to Assign a role to each person in the room. Lurkers are observers with no rights (gray). Players have limited powers over miniatures (black) and GM's have full access (red).

Version

Displays the version of OpenRPG you are using.

The Open RPG chat tab that can be reached by hitting Ctrl-S or dropping down the OpenRPG Menu and hitting Settings.
This is what you will find and what the options mean and and do.

Player
A place you can change your name besides the normal /nick or /name commands.

Show Images in Chat
This is toggled on/off with 0 (off) and on (1). It allows for showing mini sized images in chat. Using this you could have your character or NPC chat within text that includes an html table that has your characters picture to the side of the text. Over use might lag the server so be wary. Best to keep image sizes small.

Chat Time Index
Toggling this (0 or 1) allows each statement in chat to show the each time it was entered. Some GM's like to use this to see who does things first in a game.

gwtext This shows on a GM whisper or GM group whsisper to show who you are whsipering to. If you change it to DM then it will show that in chat when you perform said whisper.

dcmsg
The disconnect Message shows when you disconnect from a server. You won't see it but we will so be courteus.

buffersize
(1.6.3 only)This is important for chat logs and also if you are having lag issues. This determines the size of your chat buffer memory. The bigger it is the more chat you can store in a game log but also the more resources it uses from your computer.

purgeatbuffersizetimeslines
(1.6.3 only)This would purge the chat buffer after saving so many lines of text.

autopurgeaftersave
If yo hit the save chat disk near the dice tool bar to save your chat this will purge the chat buffer (wipe out any saved chat) if its toggled on (0 or 1 again).

typingstatus
This will change the message in the player list as you type something. Typical entires include plotting, thinking etc.

idlestatus
When your not typing this is the message in the player list people will see. Typical message might be 'sleeping'. Also if you change both typing and idle status to your characters AC16/HP19 it will display your AC and hp's in the player list box for the DM during game. This is done a lot.

supresschatautocomplete

This turns off the annoying auto-complete function. Auto-complete is a feature that tries to guess what you are typing in the chat window and automatically appends the text to finish the word.

showidinchat
Normally (with this set to 1) all players (other then those using alias) have their id in (playerid) beside their name in the chat. By setting this to 0, the playerid field is surpressed (of course using the Alias library will surpress your id's but this will surpress it for all players). (thanks Darren)
timestamplogs This toggled on (0 0r 1) will show/not show time stamps in your saved html chat logs in myfiles/logs/log.html. Logs can be opened using your web browser or by using the green text node icon near the dice bar next to the 'scroll on' button.

Gamelog Prefix
Designates the folder in my files that game logs go to 'logs' as well as the title of the saved log. It will also add the date to this title automatically and save the log as an html file.

dieroller
Another place to change your dieroller type. This can also be done by typing in chat /dieroller followed by std, wod, etc.
ImageImage
"I'm imagining Kiera Knightly, Katherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina and Meg Fox sitting around your map wearing bandanas vigorously shaking fists full of d20s." - Aval Penworth, in regards to a map I made
"We're talking about the GM that made us fight giant Fruit, Verd is totally unpredictable." - Nikurasu (one of my players)
Everyone is an atheist about some gods, we just went one god further. - Richard Dawkins
Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It is where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by NulSyn » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Last step, pray like hell it works right and the meta is up and running.
NulSyn
Forum Hippo
Forum Hippo

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:28 pm

lol very true
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Shinitenshi » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:56 pm

Either A) I'm a moron, B) My migraine is actually affecting my brain function, or C) I have an ancient version of Open RPG cause I can't get some of this stuff to work, and can't even find a few things. ( text) does nothing for me. I can't find the minis either. I should have probably messed with this before my migraine got bad again.
I just Spread the Dead. Click below to do the same and you could win $5,000! Don’t forget to check out the premiere of The Walking Dead Sunday Oct. 31 at 10/9c on AMC. http://www.amcspreadthedead.com/share?ref=331746679
Shinitenshi
Forum Temptress
Forum Temptress

Favorite System: Pally

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:30 pm

Shinitenshi wrote:Either A) I'm a moron, B) My migraine is actually affecting my brain function, or C) I have an ancient version of Open RPG cause I can't get some of this stuff to work, and can't even find a few things. ( text) does nothing for me. I can't find the minis either. I should have probably messed with this before my migraine got bad again.

You can get the nodes by highlighting game tree (upper left) and selecting insert URL. Insert these paths and hit ok. The nodes will load to your tree.

* OpenRPG Tutorial Node: http://www.mayhemgaming.net/downloads/xml/LiveTut.xml
* Mini's Node: http://www.mayhemgaming.net/downloads/xml/minipath.xml
* City Map Maker: http://www.mayhemgaming.net/downloads/xml/citymaker.xml

As far as the ( text) not working, it might not, depending on what version of Open you have... but it's nothing we use in our games.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted by Shinitenshi » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:39 pm

Cool thanks, now they are working. Do you have a problem with some of the minis not appearing? Sometimes it just says fetching.
I just Spread the Dead. Click below to do the same and you could win $5,000! Don’t forget to check out the premiere of The Walking Dead Sunday Oct. 31 at 10/9c on AMC. http://www.amcspreadthedead.com/share?ref=331746679
Shinitenshi
Forum Temptress
Forum Temptress

Favorite System: Pally

PostPosted by verdilak » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:42 pm

yeah, it happens sometimes.
ImageImage
verdilak
l33t
l33t

Return to General PbC